The little man in (real) action

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Gray, Oct 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TigerKai

TigerKai Valued Member

In my info I describe the tiger kai style as a new hybrid style. I have a 4yr (3hours per week) lesson plan that leads my students to black sash. Each lesson is different. After that, there are options for achieving black sash levels. I have trained in Shaolin iron tiger claw, wing chun, hungar, mantis, jeet kune do, and various iron chi kung since about 12 yrs old. I have worked extremely hard on putting tiger kai together, which is comprised of only the most practical techniques combining the strengths of many Chinese systems, jeet kune do, and muay thai with modern kinesthetic science. I consider it to be one of the most effective combat systems in the world today.

I have also created an organization to mandate the system WTKA. World Tiger Kai Association. I am the founder of this style which makes me a grandmaster of this style. My previous experience with kung fu places me at 5th level black sash in two styles.

I am working with Aikido and MMA people in my area to further my art. I have also entered full contact fighting to draw interest to my school. I am an official grandmaster. I tell my students to call me Sifu, not master or grandmaster. It is only an official title for the founder of a style, where the emphasis is strongly from Chinese kung fu. I am paying respect to my teacher and kung fu by listing it as a kung fu system and by incorporating Chinese terminology, bowing, traditional forms and titles.

I could just teach wing chun or iron tiger but I believe that tiger kai is a more complete style that covers long-range, in-fighting, chokes, reaps, ground fighting, and combat strategy. Just about every strike is loaded with chi and ging and most blocks are also strikes.

2. TigerKai

TigerKai Valued Member

To answer the other comments..

Most thai fighters prefer low kicks and in-fighting. Of course they can punch and kick fast and high. Most emphasize in-fighting with the knees, shins and elbows so much in their training that they want to fight that way.

In other words, if you use a hammer all day long, pretty soon everything looks like it needs to be hammered, even if the wrench or screwdriver was the most practical choice.

Even though they are many incredible athletes, most of the time they are caught off guard by san shou or suprised with a high jumping spin kick to the head by TKD fighters. They practice against other thai fighters and fight to end up in a clinch and use the elbows and knees. They know the damage those strikes can do.

A smart low kicker doesn't use a kick that can miss. Timing and following your opponent are crucial elements and involves many more factors than point sparring. You would kick not only at the right distance and speed but when the opponent bears most of his bodyweight on the leg you're kicking. That is the damaging factor. You can kick someone's shin, thighs and knees through the entire fight and do no real damage if he has most of the weight on the other foot or distributed equally.

You deliver the kick to the weight bearing leg before he's two feet away from you at a proper depth to give you the ability to penatrate beyong his knee lockout. Pulling the opponent's arm toward you following a trap ensures that his front and closest leg will bear most of his weight which is the key time to thrust him.

Most fighters only know how to do a low kick and haven't been taught the applications which is why you have misconceptions about it. You have seen people just throwing their legs at each other with no damage.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

How on earth did I miss this gem of a thread?!?!

Let me start of by saying....

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't seen a bigger pile of drivel and piffle poffle in some time here at MAP. Sifu-Grandmaster-whatever... you are truly hilarious. :p

We have needed comedy relief like this for some time. It's gotten rather mundane BBQ'in the usual lot around here... glad to see you stepped up as self-nominated-jet-fuel-soaked-weeny-up-for-a-roasting.

4. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Sifumorgan...just a question, cuz I've always wondered this about self-promoted grandmasters and what not...

Do you have branches on continents aside from your home country?

Cuz if so...how can you call yourself the World Tiger Kai whatever?

5. slipthejab

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PUT DOWN YOUR MOM'S KEYBOARD AND STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER!

I REPEAT!

PUT DOWN YOUR MOM'S KEYBOARD AND STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER!

:p

6. MadMonk108

Have you done so? I have seen it attempted by others, only to watch them get KOed.

Please provide video or a fight record so your claims may be verified.

That's quite arrogant. In saying that this will always be the result, then you are saying that you have pressure tested this theory, and 100 times out of 100 attempts you broke the boxers' legs.

And they rarely result in a broken leg against a moving, non-compliant opponent.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

7. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Well you must no be invited to many social gatherings with people paralysed from the waist down... I can see it now...

SM's friend: I'd like to introduce you to Angela.
    SM (noticing Angela is in a wheelchair): I CONSIDER YOU BEATEN!!!

Ahhh... revising brings out the strangeness but seriously pro-boxers do things including moving around i.e. using their knees quite definitely from beginner-boxers. The fact that you are unaware of this is not a good indication for your knowledge of martial arts (Tip: In general Pro's fight differently than beginners). This couples with the fact that you also believe Muay Thai is frequently bested in competitions by TKD and San Shou and claimed you could defeat any boxer without ever having beaten one adds up to a rather large tally of marks against your credibility.

8. MadMonk108

How many full contact competitions have you fought in?

What is your record?

9. MadMonk108

TKD Teams?

TKD Teams?

What the ddong are you talking about?!?

Give me the names of these teams.

10. TigerKai

TigerKai Valued Member

This is a style that I completed about 3 months ago. I created the association to madate the furtherance of the style so that it is authentic and can be taught worldwide instead of being considered 'American.' I am not a self-promoting grandmaster trying to sell people. I'm not in it for money.

I have the experience and rank to be a grandmaster.

The judgements I'm making about muay thai are based on matches I've seen and a few people in the columbus area that claim to use muay thai.

A stand up boxer doesn't bend the knees much and wouldn't really expect a kick in the first place. Again, it is more difficult with other martial artists because everyone is taught not to lockout elbows or knees, but it is still very possible.

I don't need to pressure test my theory it is just good sense to know how fast I can kick and how quick someone can move their entire body toward me.

You are speaking from generalizations and misconceptions concerning low kicking. I have enough martial art experience to create a hybrid system which is more complete for combat than any traditional system.

I am always willing to put it to the test, this is why I am entering a UFC sanctioned event, and will gladly meet any opponent at my studio. Here's a realistic comparison, my typical blue sash student can outclass a 3rd degree black belt in Karate/TKD.

11. MadMonk108

[​IMG]
    The taste of a new Generasian of self-promoted grandmasters...

Last edited: May 17, 2006
  12. MadMonk108

That's the ultimate in Americanization of martial arts. In most Asian traditions, you weren't even allowed to assume the status of "grandmaster" or a system until you were above the age of 42.

13. slipthejab

Attached Files:

14. LordofAnime+DND

LordofAnime+DND New Member

I believe sifumorgan knows what he's talking about.

15. CKava

As the lord of Dungeons & Dragons I would say your very qualified to hold such an opinion.

Relevant question: What martial art does promote fighting with completely locked out knees?

16. LordofAnime+DND

Note to new guy- irony is my strongest suit.

17. LordofAnime+DND

In answer to your question, none should.

Plenty assume that's how people fight.

18. slipthejab

Gotta the love the whole 6 posts you have before jumping in to defend SifuMorgan.
    How convenient. :p

19. LordofAnime+DND

Lord of Anime + DND laughs at the idea I would defend this "grandmaster".

Have u read the other posts?

20. CKava

Its difficult to walk with your knees locked out let alone fight. This is why I am saying sifu Morgan doesn't seem to know what he is talking about in regards Boxing or Thai Boxing for that matter. Why precisely do you think he 'knows what he is talking about' based on his most recent comments?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.