The Last Legion

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Roual, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Roual

Roual Eternally curious...

Short post, but I just wanted to rant briefly...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462396/

I read the book about a year ago, and must say it was fantastic. The problem I have with the film is that the main character, Aurelius, I always saw as a kind of Maximus (Gladiator) type of character, leading a small group to safety against a deadly foe. And try and guess who they've got to play him. Some action hero? No. Someone with a vaguely threatening on screen presence? No. Someone who's actually done a fight scene in a movie? No. They've cast Colin Firth. Colin Firth. How is Colin Firth suppose to lead a small group of Roman legionnaires across the Roman empire through barbarian hordes to the safety of Britain?

Anyway, has anyone else read this book and think that Colin Firth is a good / bad actor to play Aurelius?

2. doc97

doc97 Valued Member

Colon Firth? You gotta be kinding! Why not just get Hugh Grant also, maybe throw in Bridget. There are a host of actors that are much more suited for that role!!

3. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

I must admit I watched this film and wasn't remotely impressed, honestly I think they got the best lead that their low budget could afford them.

Colin does not lead the movie well, the rest falls down with him.

4. Roual

Roual Eternally curious...

Unfortunately, I kid not
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462396/

Surely, if budget was a problem, they'd have been better off going with a younger, less well known actor who looked more the part. I can't imagine Colin Firth is that cheap after all the Brit Rom Com's he's been in.

A better idea would have been to get Kevin McKidd to play Aurelius (or possibly Ray Stevenson if he was available).

On a slightly related note, they're doing a film version of Beowulf to be released mid November, which has Ray Stevenson playing Beowulf. I'd like to see it, but there's no doubt in my mind that it'll have been 'Hollywoodised' and have very little bearing to the original story.

5. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

beowolf is written by neil gaimen, and stars ray winston i do beleive, and from the clips i've seen looks like an animated film. not sure as to how close it is to the original, as i know of it but have never read it. still it sounds and looks interesting.