The lamest excuses

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Pat OMalley, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Getting a bit quiet on hear lately so I thought I woud put this up:

What are the lamest excuses you have had for not turning up to an FMA class or meeting:

Some examples I have had in th past include:

For a Black Eagle Society Meeting;

I was changing the oil in my Car:confused:

and the best one

My Granny baked me a cake:D

For a class

I am not fit enough yet:confused:

I think I am too old (he was 25):D

Your a bit too far to travel for me but I really want to do it, is there anyone closer ? (9 miles):confused:

For a seminar with a Master/Grand Master who travelled from the Philippines:

Could'nt you make it more convenient for us people in London to travel too? (The venue was 10 miles from the centre of London, I travelled 300 miles to host it and the instructor travelled 10,000 miles to teach it):D

My guys wont travel that far it would make sense to have one here too and he would get a different audiance, you know people he may not have seen before (the event and the people in question where 30 miles away straight down the motorway but claimed this Master was one of the main teachers of the system they teach):confused: I actually passed their town to get to the venue myself 270 miles into my journey:D

Come on you must have some better ones:)

Best regards

Pat

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  2. nicerebound

nicerebound Valued Member

Why would you need an excuse for not coming to class?

3. Summer Gypsy

Summer Gypsy Has a Valued Member

Ooh, how's this one?

My Contra-Mestre: I was backing out of my apartment complex when I ran over my neighbor's foot! Okay, well why didn't you come after that? You didn't let me finish. He gave me a flat!

He still hasn't told us if he was kidding or not. :confused:

And MY personal best: I got so caught up practicing at home, that I forgot all about class. ;)

4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

because teachers get angry if you don't give one.

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

It's usually the other way around for me.

Why did you only work 6 hours today?
    Because I had to hit the gym during lunch and train at 4:30.

Why are you late?
    Sorry, class ran over.

Dude, you should totally come out and hit the bar with us!
    I'm absolutely exhausted, and drinks don't really fit the diet. I'm going to stay home and eat chicken a salad and practice guitar (yeah so I'm a hippie :D )

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Ditto. My boss gets ****ed with me when I tell him I can't go on a business trip for him because I'm either teaching or training :p :D

7. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Man I am really excited to train at this seminar. :cool:

Oh I am sorry I didn't make it I lost track of time. :(

8. nicerebound

nicerebound Valued Member

I used to train TKD when i was younger and one of the kids would bite his toenails. Yeah I know its gross as hell and I have no idea why they allowed him to do this DURING CLASS. Regaurdless he bit off too much nail one time and his toe ended up being all messed up, so he stopped coming in for a week or so. Everyone there was releived to get a break from his insanity so no one really questioned why he was out of commision from a minor toenail 'injury'.

9. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

Same here.
    You could set your watch by the time I walked in the gym.
    7pm,every night,without fail.
    I had an interview for a job where they said overtime was "mandatory"( bite me) and I replied :
    "not a problem. Just reimburse me the $480 I just spent on my membership and I'm all yours".
    Simple enough solution.
    They didn't agree. I got a much better job the following week :D

10. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

I would have to say my favorite for someone quitting my class was:

"I want to learn how to fight.
    But I want to learn how without hurting
    someone".

and they meant in a REAL fight!

Or;

"why won't you make me a black belt in 6 months?!?
    I DESERVE it!"
    (after 3 lessons)

:confused:

Damien

11. chenstyle44

chenstyle44 Valued Member

lame excuse

hi there.
    how about working twelve hour days and bussing back and forth to work a total of three hours and shifts to boot.
    i have time to go to the bathroom and desperately try to smile at myself in the mirror and tell myself 'it's worth it!'
    yah.
    i made about $100k last year, but i'm miserable while im at work.
    two more years of this stuff to go too.
    i'm sneaking upstairs to do some single stick and knife drills. thats about my only outlet when im on shift. i get six days off now in between shifts and its hard to keep the wife from frowning and training as much as possible.
    i dont know if this is an excuse or just stating facts. its both, actually.
    feels like im on a psychiatrist's couch.
    enough of this.
    ;)

12. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

I would say, get your wife to drive you to work, so you get to spend 3 hours a day with her in the car and then on your days off, train. Hahaha!

13. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

I was teaching some kids a few years back and one of them just laid down on the floor, obviously I thought this was odd in the first place but when I said "are you training today?", they replied with "No! I have got delicate feet"
    I could not contain my laughter......... at that point I told them they were in the wrong place for excuses and that they would not be getting any sympathy here. "So, GET UP! or GET OUT!"

14. shootodog

stupid excuse # 22:

"i have to leave the country for 6 months. there's no fma where i'm going."

sad but true :(

15. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Can't recall for sure, but I may have missed a class or two because I was drunk . . . naw, it's always train first, drink later for me.

16. shootodog

training intoxicated was an experience.

17. Otataral

Otataral Sapientes Gladio

I love the granny made me a cake :)

18. chenstyle44

chenstyle44 Valued Member

lame

hi,
    my wife won't let me go train.
    my mom is sick.
    i cant pay my membership because i spent my money on....
    :bang:
    gord

19. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

All of the above shows just how hard it is being an Martial Arts Instructor.
    I work long hours, 60 miles from home and drive with intent to get to my class. I am still the first one there and it does upset you when you get a call from a student saying he/she cannot come as they have stubbed their toe.
    We still have to teach through all of our injuries, family problems, financial difficulties etc.
    With FMA in particular we know we have a great system regardless of your style. We can expose our students to some great Masters and Grand Masters.
    Also, because of the kindness and generosity shown by these Masters/GrandMasters seminars are not a lot of money. The events are planned in advance so really any reason not to attend is a poor excuse.
    I suppose that to end on a happy note, all you can say is only the hard core are left and this is the heart of our chosen sport.
    FMA will not be weakened by lacklustre students. FMA is known for only teaching those who are like family. Students become friends, friends have understanding and friends to not need to make excuses.

20. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

"I was cycling to train but a fly went in my eye!"

True fighting spirit here!!!