The knight before Xmas

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by Dan93, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Due to compete again on the 3rd and 4th December in Cornwall at an event called the Knight before Christmas. Competing in Longsword and 5 vs 5. This will my first event after my shoulder dislocation back in July in Scotland.
    Really looking forward to this one and the first time I will compete in Longsword which is a pretty aggressive discipline in HMB. I will try and get some photos/video for this event and I have a flyer but it is on my PC so can put up later if not against TOS.

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

You da man! Woot! :D

Dan93 likes this.
  3. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I know it's a bit of a de-rail but how did you get into this stuff and how do you train for it? Is it a HEMA thing or a totally different org? It sounds really fun.

4. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Long story short I saw a video Mitch posted on FB a while back of a fighter wearing a go pro camera at the Battle of the nation's our sports version of the Olympics and I reposted it and a friend of mine happened to know the vice captain for the South East team, I as worried about it beong a reenactment thing but tried it and found it couldnt be further away from it!
    Its a full contact sport some HEMA influence, its still a fledgling sport here in the west (massive in East Europe and Russia) but teams all around the world now and regular competitions. Pretty expensive with purchasing armour and weapons but love it.

Knee Rider likes this.
  5. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Sorry Knee Rider forgot to answer your question on how we train for these competitions.... We train at a couple of venues in Middlesex and Kent. Training is generally warm up followed by drill work on wrestling (alot of grappling in group and profight dueling) both individual and in group scenarios, technique, pell and impact work and then dueling and group sparring and lots of it.

Knee Rider likes this.