The kata venting thread

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Llamageddon, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Lorelei

Lorelei Valued Member

No go I'm afraid - had to drive home after competing. Otherwise, I would have been tempted..........

2. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

You said you did bad....did you win anything? Like did they have trophies or medals and did you get one?

3. Lorelei

Lorelei Valued Member

Trophies are only for Open divisions in the Nationals (I think). There are medals in each division, but since I managed to come last this time, I didn't get one.......

4. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

:(

maybe next time.

my last one was a Bronze i got for heian nidan in november....representing my dojo. My sensei said my performance was very satisfactory.

I hope you get one next time.

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I think there might be a book worth looking into for his opinion....

6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Saifa was and still is hard for me if I'm not focusing due to the footwork. If I start getting frustrated it gets even worse.

Garyu is a hard one for me too, which I've only seen in Kyokushin (probably because Sosai Oyama created it).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1EBueJPDCw"]YouTube - Garyu Kyokushinkai kata[/ame]

Sanchin and Tensho are always my favorites.

7. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

Mm Tensho is my favourite at the moment. Is it part of the Kyokushin syllabus?

I don't know if Sanseru is the best tournament kata to be honest Lorelei, its sliding moves are quite hard on mats and it's quite a hard kata to get 100%. What style of karate do you practice?

8. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

It sure is. One of Sosai Oyama's favorites and the one he recommended all karateka train every single day.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czJnxjixF-w"]YouTube - Tensho Kyokushinkai kata[/ame]

Shihan Bobby Lowe is a big proponent of Tensho as well for goshin-jutsu.

9. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

A lot different to what I'm used to seeing! Still a great kata though. My performance of it is on one of Fish's kata threads. I'm not familiar with goshin-jutsu, what is it?

10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

The Tensho my own organization does is different from that as well.

Goshin-jutsu is basically the self defense applications. Sweeps, throws, joint locks, etc.

11. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Together the three of us might be able to get a good infomercial racket going... ;)

12. Llamageddon

This was really interesting to watch! You can definitely see the Shotokan influences in this one. The forwards then back movement reminds me of Bassai Dai, and the jump is pretty much straight out of Heian Godan. Really enjoyed watching that!

13. Lorelei

Lorelei Valued Member

You're probably right about Sanseru on mats, but our regional tournaments are on wood floors, not mats, and the sliding bits aren't a problem (I tend to think of them as wedging rather than sliding, but the catch-up with the back foot would be harder to do on mats).

I ran through Sanseru a couple of times after my class a week before the tournament and produced my best attempt so far, so I decided I'd risk it and use it for the tournament. Unfortunately last week was a bit chaotic (cat in labour, emergency caesarian, had to bottle-feed 5 kittens all night Thurs, plus the usual brat-related dramas) and I didn't prepare properly for the tournament. Coming last was deserved (much as I hate to admit it) but at least I got to the tournament - even the day before, I wasn't sure I could manage it........

I train in GKR. I've used Seiunchin as my tournament kata for the last 2 years but thought it was time to leave my comfort zone. Empi is the next kata on from Seiunchin in our syllabus, but my knees aren't up to it and I can't get the jump right in class, so I'd have no chance of nailing it at tournament!

I spoke to a Shodan friend of mine after the tournament, who gave me a few pointers. I knew my current lack of core strength would be the biggest problem to overcome (still working on it after an op in Feb) and it does need work, but the hardest thing to deal with in the ring is the leg-shaking (REALLY doesn't help with my balance!). FoD's vodka suggestion is possibly a bit extreme, but I do need to find a way to stop my body from reacting that way to the adrenalin rush. Any (non-alcoholic) suggestions?

14. Llamageddon

Keep getting the adrenaline rush.

a) your body will hopefully get used to it a bit more in that it will recognise what's going on and be able to deal with it better rather than going in to panic mode

b) the more you get it, the easier it is to ascertain why you're getting it. That way it will be easier to control and/or predict

c) the more you get it, the more you're forced to deal with it. The key to sparring is to stay relaxed, not tense up and not waste energy. Obviously with an adrenaline rush you're tempted just to flail and scream until the danger goes away. But the whole point is the adrenaline, when harnessed properly, increases your reaction times, your speed and your strength. So next time you get one, try to relax in to it more. The shaking will go away or be delayed eventually (shaking is one of the signs I'm about to lose it and go to town on someone, so I know!). It is honestly mind over matter. It'll never go away (and you don't want it to), but you can control it

15. Lorelei

Lorelei Valued Member

Actually, I don't have a problem with the adrenalin rush during kumite - it seems to help rather than hinder, improves my reaction times but doesn't cloud my judgement. I wasn't competing in kumite this time though - I haven't even gone back to sparring in class yet, so I would have been creamed!

My big problem is that I get an adrenalin rush when my name is called for kata. No matter how calm I am up to that point, it kicks in and my legs start to shake. It's not as bad as it used to be when I first started competing (EVERYTHING shook the first couple of times I tried to do kata at tournament - quivering gedan barai doesn't look very sharp!) but it's definitely a problem and I need to find a way to deal with it so I can keep my balance! Any ideas on how to control it? I've tried the obvious (shaking my legs out before bowing in, regular calm breathing, taking an extra few seconds before beginning my kata to focus) but no joy so far...........

16. Llamageddon

Aaaaaah! Sorry, my mistake.

Well, I'd say that's more nerves than anything else! And there's only one way to get over that, I'm afraid!

You might know your kata inside out but you're still going to be nervous, especially if you don't like performing etc. It might help to view your audience in a different light. I don't mean them all sitting on the bog or anything... But just think they're there to watch you, while you've got the (proverbial) balls to actually go perform! The judges aren't there to mark you down, they're there to mark the good points etc. Other than that it really is just slow deep breaths and getting in to the zone.

Think of it this way - what's the truly worst thing that can happen if you don't do well? You're not going to get punished, you're not going to die, you're still breathing at the end of it! You'll probably never see most of the people who were there again, so just go out and have fun!

(probably not much help, I know!!)

17. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

The same thing applies in dance. There is a completely different atmosphere and feel when performing in a show and practicing without an audience yet the movement is for the most part the same. I know that in the audience there are a lot of dancers and those with some knowledge of dance so it isn't so bad, sure people are watching but they want you and the others to do well, whatever happens happens.

18. Lorelei

Lorelei Valued Member

What you're saying all makes sense - I probably wasn't helped by the fact that the senior judge on the ring this time also happens to be my sensei (and he really doesn't go in for favouritism.......) :( I might have been less panicky with a different judge sat in front of me, but them's the breaks........ :mad:

19. Llamageddon

I know the feeling.

I had to do my 1st dan grading in front of a panel consisting of my sensei and the other highest grades in the club/assoc... Fun...!

20. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I dunno whether that makes a difference or not. My grading panel didn't have my teacher on it, but it was still pretty nerve-wracking. I think most of the pressure comes from yourself. I'd hate to mess up when everyone's watching, even if the grading panel consisted of a bunch of random people off the street.