The Kali triangle

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by johndoch, Nov 19, 2002.

1. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Hey dredd,

hmm, somehow can't play Yoda's demo. I'm at work so I'll put it down to those damn IT people. I think I get the jist of what your explaining cheers. My only stick experience is that I've always played about with sticks and stuff since I was a kid.

Has anyone ever done full contact stick fighting?

2. Two Sword

Two Sword New Member

johndoch,

In our system (as in many other FMA system) we use the triangle footwork pattern to develope all the muscles involved (hip flexors, TFL, Quads, hamstrings...etc) in the foot work used in combat. Enough repition will give you that cat like movement.

More advance footwork exercises teaches a student how to angle from attacks, position the defender in the best possible place to send his counter with as much power as possible to end the confrontation.

Thats pretty much the function of the traingle or angular footwork. Keep the swordsman or stickfighter moving, angeling attacks so he can position himself for a balanced, powerful set of counter attacks. Or an efficient defended retreat that will lead to counter attacks.

We have done full contact stick fighting. Dogbrothers type. I did most of this in my teens. Its a great way to get your attacks and defenses down. Pain is the best way to get your reflexes or engrams refined.

Carl Atienza
    Atienza Kali
    www.atienzakali.com

3. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Hi TwoSwords,

Welcome to the forums

"Pain is the best way to get your reflexes or engrams refined."

I agree but the better you get the less pain you take and the more you give. :D

4. Two Sword

Two Sword New Member

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

But just like anything else in MA, it another training method.

Now, we do it every once and awile...especially when my brothers and I have technical disagreements.

The majority of the time we at least have gloves on.

Thanks

Carl Atienza
    Atienza Kali
    www.atienzakali.com

5. DeSeRt RaT UK

DeSeRt RaT UK New Member

I totally agree with you there. Generally the lessons I learn the most from are the ones I get hit. But then I'm always on guard and ready for that hit next time around.

6. Two Sword

Two Sword New Member

Yes...

Then your opponent figures out another way..you learn how to defend against that..so on so forth. And the sting of the stick accelerates that process.

Like I said ..that is one way. There are others that you can do that don't hurt as much...

Carl Atienza
    www.Atienzakali.com

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

....... but I find the validity to my personal development to much higher when learned by painful experience :D

8. Two Sword

Two Sword New Member

Yes...its one of the best ways to organize your reflexive arsenal.

carl
    www.atienzakali.com

9. goatnipples2002

goatnipples2002 someone tryin 2 learn

dude? leg destructions. I love'em!!!!!

I don't practice any particular art, I'm more of a street fighter trying to "organize" my skills, I feel "cluttered" at times. I do like the kali footwork patterns because it's simple and to the point no ********, I love that.

I am wondering to throw a proper leg destruction what do you do? I pradtice them now and in need of some reassuring words. I feel it never hurts to check your progress. What is the proper form and the pros and cons of leg destructions?

10. tarkovsky2002

tarkovsky2002 New Member

Follow-Up on Kali Triangle Drills

Hey, Yoda.
    I know this thread is as old as dirt, but I caught it while goggling. Appreciate the link to the footwork pages. You mentioned that you had some variations if one were interested. I definitely would be.
    Also, which Dog Brothers videos would you most recommend for footwork? Thanks.