The K is on the Way

Discussion in 'Karate' started by SPX, Nov 21, 2012.

1. SPX

SPX Valued Member

2. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

3. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

That's pretty awesome!!

I read through a couple tabs there, but couldn't find what style of Karate they're promoting. I would hope Kyokushin, cause then I may actually pay attention to the Olympics :p, but I doubt.

4. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

I hope it doesn't get in, I can totally see it going the way of tkd or judo. And that would make me sad. Because its already such a individual, if ridiculed rule set, it may lose its identity. If knockdown made it in I'd be furious because the Olympic committee would distroy the redeeming aspect of karate.

5. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment, what makes karate different enough from taekwondo to make including it as a separate sport viable? This question is likely to be the single biggest obstacle to this campaign.

6. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

This!!!

I wanted to ask but didn't want to be put under the line of fire.

7. SPX

SPX Valued Member

C'mon, y'all know it's not gonna be knockdown.

From what I can tell, this is in conjunction with the WKF so we're talking about this right here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxc25D6wZnI"]Milos Jovanovic vs Murat Sahin :: WKF Male Kumite Bronze Medal -75kg :: Belgrade 2010 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR9RvxFUn0c"]Karate Male Team Kata Final - Japan vs. Italy - WKF World Championships Belgrade 2010 (1/2) - YouTube[/ame]

8. SPX

SPX Valued Member

Well TKD and karate are more similar than, say, TKD and boxing, but I personally think they're VERY different. It's a whole different game because of the scoring system.

Also, word on the street is that TKD might be getting the boot after 2020.

9. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Can you elaborate on the differences in scoring?

10. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

Well I think the beauty of Japanese culture, unlike the Korean's, is that I don't see them merging all their Karate school's into one Feberation (like what happend with TKD). So there would be the Olympic Karate, but also the different styles which get left out of the olympic status. Well at least I hope.

But it's a genuine concern, tis the tyranny of the Olympics.

11. SPX

SPX Valued Member

Well unlike in TKD you can score with a punch to the face and punches to the body don't have to cause "displacement." In fact, I believe the reverse punch is the #1 scoring technique.

Also, you can throw your opponent and have a short window to land an attack on the ground if they get thrown or if they trip and fall.

Also, scoring is stop-point rather than continuous.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  12. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I hope not, sport karate is already getting popular. We don't need it taking over traditional karate.

13. SPX

SPX Valued Member

I think you can do both.

That is, train traditionally while also having a component of your training dedicated to sport.

14. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

The problem is just that sport karate and traditional karate are so different. Traditional karate is all about practicality and self defense, sport karate is about points. I like point sparring as shown in that video, it's good training and loads of fun. But that's all, you shouldn't train specifically for it.

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Like the WTF and the ITF you mean? :)

Great, so tappy punches to the body will score? Can you win by knockout or will all power be removed from every technique?

The truth is that the Olympics in this day and age are unlikely to allow anything that looks dangerous in. Even knockdown with no face punches is unlikely, never mind those dreaming of MMA getting in.

And in many ways be thankful if karate doesn't get in. TKD devised a ruleset and made it in. The consequence has been that, not surprisingly, most people train for that ruleset. TKD's stock has fallen ever since.

Mitch

16. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

No, like the formation of the Kukkiwon by the dismantlement and engulfment of the old Kwams.

I would jump off a building if they do that with all the Karate styles.

17. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

yup, it's WKF. i am completely and utterly opposed to this, unless they do a very serious revision of what they do, and/or how they present themselves (claiming to represent "karate" as if it was homogeneous, when what they do is represent and push a sporting ruleset that doesn't even accurately represent how karate is done).

18. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I was poking a bit of fun, as I'm sure you knew :), but the point still stands that there is more than one TKD.

With inclusion in the Olympics, many karate clubs would turn to teaching Olympic sparring. This would soon become the norm and what most people perceived karate as being.

I hope it doesn't happen.

Mitch

19. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

The more pertinent question is: if kata competition is included, what makes karate different enough from rhythmic gymnastics to make including it as a separate sport viable?

20. SPX

SPX Valued Member

Well I think that the attributes that are developed through sport karate are exactly those kinds of things that you need in a real fight, whether on the street or in the ring. Qualities like speed, an understanding of distance, and the ability to get in and out without getting countered. After all, in a match, if you get hit you lose, so these guys develop great defense. Just look at someone like Lyoto Machida and how he basically just took his competitive karate game and adapted it for MMA.

Traditional karate has its own blind spots, in my opinion, in that unless it's Kyokushin or another knockdown form, there's not enough sparring. Kata and knuckle pushups and two-man drills are great, but the only way to learn to actually use your techniques is to free spar in some capacity or another. Sport karate, for all its faults, has this in spades.