The Importance of Standing

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Yin-Yang Boxer, Feb 7, 2007.

1. middleway

middleway Valued Member

agreed .. this bickering get old fast ...

jkzorya, Thankyou for the kind offer of instruction to the people here. I may come and look you up someday ... i have decided this year is the year i meet people.

This weekend its Steve Morris!! ;)

many thanks

Chris

2. Yin-Yang Boxer

Yin-Yang Boxer Banned Banned

Hi middleway,
    I like to look on these things as a test of patience, but it still doesn't stop that nagging "here we go again" feeling :(

Regards,

Yin-Yang Boxer

3. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

Look - can you guys please accept my assurance that things would not have errupted once more if TJB had not jumped on my posting with both feet and set about trying to rip it and me apart point by point, and set himself up as a some kind of justice seeking superhero out to crush the baddie. Just read my first post - I'm genuinely sorry if I upset anyone, but there was no need for anyone who it does not apply to to take offence. Standing is good, but it is not everything - that is all I said. Why do people go on about Yin and Yang and balance and all that, only in refence to the things I say?

And Chris - you'd be very welcome to look me up. PM me if you plan to come up to West Yorkshire some time.

4. middleway

middleway Valued Member

I will do J,

thanks for the kind offer. you are welcome here if your ever over this side of the country also.

Chris

5. jkzorya

Thanks Chris.

Incidentally, I'm sure you know this is not quite what I meant.
    :)

6. middleway

middleway Valued Member

yeh i do ... but i would consider having your ass kicked instruction ... so .. in a way i was still correct

ha ha ha

cheers
    Chris

7. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I think jks' speciality is the whipping jingle Chris .. :eek: :D

Some one bind a gag me now!

8. jkzorya

OK - I hate to ask, but what's a whipping jingle?

9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Oh.. I'm just making words up again, I meant the whipping jin (tm). But jingle sounded fruitier. :)

Fruit and whipped cream anyone?

*edit: Oh yea, standing is important.

10. haoabout

haoabout New Member

So any one got any good tips, analogies, or thoughts on what makes good or bad standing/moving training.What method, internal/external requirements, location etc .....

11. jkzorya

I try to sink a little deeper with each exhalation. And often do it for a number of breaths rather than specific fixed duration so if I am less well, the exercise is fairly self-regulating in that breaths will be a little shorter so I'll stand for a bit less time.

12. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I prefer outdoors when, wherever possible.

13. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Me too. Particularly on the beach or near trees. :)

If I can't get outside, I open the windows and switch off as many electrical appliances as possible. An acceptable second best imo.

The important thing for me is my ongoing standing practice. Where I am at right now, I can leave out my daily form practice but not standing...even it it is only for a short time.

14. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Hi MF,

yea, I am increasingly finding that also. I like your thinking regards the indoors bit, cheers.

15. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

Although I haven't done much formal standing training (aside from basic stance practice) lately I've been playing with some of the feeling-awareness exercises that Peter Ralston describes in his books. They're pretty simple things, like feeling your structure fall into the ground and stack upon itself, but they're good. I don't know for sure how they'll change my fighting, since I haven't been able to spar in a bit (though hopefully that'll change tonight), but they make my everyday life better, so it's worth the time :)

Edited by the Department of Redundancy Department

16. Inner Qi

Inner Qi Banned Banned

I totally agree with this. Chi Kung is always best practiced outside in the fresh air. This stops you from taking in excessive amounts of stagnant Chi. I find it best to practice either underneath trees during the early hours, or beside a river or other body of flowing water at any time of day. The Chi from these places feels extremely rich and vibrant, and I always feel more invigorated after practicing in these places.

As I was taught, we should avoid practice in places where there is exessive stagnant Chi, or a lot of Yang energy. Cemetary's, near busy roads, inside... Practicing in these places can cause more problems than they solve.

It's not just enough to practice hard, you have to practice smart!

Caz :love: