The importance of social media and the surprising tweets during OBL raid

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Banpen Fugyo, May 2, 2011.

1. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

For one, I, and almost everyone I know, heard about this killing of OBL either through Twitter or Facebook. I realize this has been the trend for quite some time, as I also heard about the death of MJ from twitter :p, but what does this say about the future of official news?

Secondly, here is a mans tweets in Abbottabad during the time of the raid... pretty crazy:

@ReallyVirtual

-Helicopter hovering above Abbottabad at 1AM (is a rare event).

-A huge window shaking bang here in Abbottabad Cantt. I hope its not the start of something nasty :-S

-all silent after the blast, but a friend heard it 6 km away too... the helicopter is gone too.

-the few people online at this time of the night are saying one of the copters was not Pakistani...

-Since taliban (probably) don't have helicpoters, and since they're saying it was not "ours", so must be a complicated situation #abbottabad

-people are saying it was not a technical fault and it was shot down. I heard it CIRCLE 3-4 times above, sounded purposeful.

-Two helicpoters, one down, could actually be the training accident scenario they're saying it was >> http://bit.ly/ioGE6O

-I think the helicopter crash in Abbottabad, Pakistan and the President Obama breaking news address are connected.

-Another rumor: two copters that followed the crashed one were foreign Cobras - and got away

-Osama Bin Laden killed in Abbottabad, Pakistan.: ISI has confirmed it << Uh oh, there goes the neighborhood :-/