The (Hopefully) Once-And-For-All Steroid Discussion

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Durkhrod Chogori, Apr 19, 2006.

1. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

The problem is that they cannot say there are no side effects, there are side effects. Some may not be known till years later.

If you have a medical condition that requires tampering with your endocrine system you evaluate your current condition against the side effects of the drug treatment. If the side effects are less then what you’re experiencing now, you go ahead with the treatment. This is the legal use, it's the lesser of two evils.

Anytime something involves taking something else to counter the side effects of the original substance you've stepped onto a slippery slope.

And for the record I've been in plenty of gyms and around quite a few people on roids. Considering my history it's actually amazing that I never got caught up in it myself. One thing I am an expert on and do have personal experience with is the physical and socio-psychological effects of drugs on people and I can say that the arguments and denials used here are no different then what you'll hear from any junkie. I did the same crap with my drugs of choice, I see right through the rationalizations.

As long as there is big money in professional sports there will be those that are willing to do anything to get an edge, no matter the cost. Not much you can do about them, but if you listen to the testimonials the older ones have given, they would have made different choices if they had the chance to do it all over again.

2. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Again :rolleyes:

I am well aware you are all talking about a friend of a friend ;)

3. Vigilance

Vigilance Valued Member

Lol, you are a tool. I can get into the chemical reactions that occur when someone puts crack or cocaine in their system, are you going to call me a crack addict now?

You claim to an expert in some medical field, so when you spout off about aas you are "educated". When I post information about aas, I am a "user". :rolleyes:

4. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

I don't recall anyone saying there's no side effects (maybe they said there's ways to minimize side effects, or some side effects are preventable with certain precautions). However, that doesn't mean they flat out are denying the existence of side effects from the use of anabolic steroids.

(When I said "lack of side effects", I didn't mean there was none either. I guess I worded that part pretty badly. I should have put "minimal side effects".)

Anyways, back to this "intelligent" discussion on 'roids. :rolleyes: :D

5. Gajah Silat

No mate, posting with advice on how to use, doesn't automatically suggest you are a user, but people still need to be aware of the medically accepted facts.

Yes I know, I've played Devil's advocate here and maybe added a few humourous general insults ;) .

The strength of feeling and sense of denial I get in response is incredible.

And for daring to point out that most of the medical world does not confirm the levels of safety that have been suggested here, I get personal insults.

So I'm an evangelical tool who deserves to get beated up by some Gym guys who use steroids :rolleyes: Just for not being an advocate :rolleyes:

6. Gajah Silat

Yes, everyone agrees that there are potential side effects. I think the disagreement is down to the potential seriousness & future health implications.

We have one side basically saying, only a small amount of irresponsible users will end up with....blah blah

Other side, well there is evidence to suggest otherwise and the fact is some users will undoubtedly end up with serious health complications.

Either way it's a gamble, and as widespread steroid use is essentially a modern and relatively recent phenomenon, the full term effects of long term high dose use have not yet been studied to an extent to draw an absolute conclusion.

However, studies have shown many side effects from clinical studies at legitimate clinical doses.

7. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Don't give up your day job

8. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Sorry about the bump, but I just watched this interesting piece. Opinions?

9. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Good vid. Thanks for posting that.

10. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

very interesting.

apparently steroids give you phenomenal memory.

Q: how many users have sen over the years?
    A: about 25 hundred.

did he write them in a book? lol. id love to know where that number came from.

11. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

The video made a big show of saying that there are no long term studies that prove steroids are harmful. They tried to minimize the comment that seeing the dangers in short term studies, it would not be prudent to do a long term study.

What was their evidence? One doctor for and one against. A couple of hardcore users saying they have used it for a long time.

They note that the Army has few records of deaths of long term steroid users. A better question is why would the army have records of long term steroid users? If they need them for medical reasons, you get a medical discharge. If you use them for sports performance and get caught, you get busted and kicked out. So why would the Army have a lot of records of deaths of long term steroid users?

The show was long on anecdote and short on fact. I view it as just a piece of controversy ratings related garbage that he has been known for in the past. Bryant Gumbel likes to be a lightning rod for controversial topics such as when he called a person representing the Boy Scouts a "bleeping" idiot on live tv after they won a court case. Or even earlier this year when he declared that the winter olympics don't have the greatest athletes because there was a shortage of black people in the winter games.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2006