The Hidden Art of Wrap Hands Jutsu...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by The Wiseman, Jun 2, 2011.

1. The Wiseman

The Wiseman Valued Member

I have a heavy bag and I get this urge to hit it with my fists sometimes. Anyone here have that problem? Yeah, I didn't think so. Anyway, I have hit it fairly hard with my hands wrapped in several different ways, all of them learned from YouTube.

All of them have failed to keep my wrist protected. I punch with a proper fist, and with heavy bag gloves, but sometimes you hit at the wrong angle. When this happens the nerves at the base of my thumb get pinched and luckily it never hurts more than a few hours.

I stopped hitting the bag with my hands pretty much altogether and have focused on kicks, elbows, and knees. But I really want to start hitting. The bag with my fists. And this leads my to my main question:

Does anyone actually know how to wrap the wrists to make them secure? I'm not talkin', "Yeah, so you just roll it around the thumb a few times and it kinda protects the.. ya know.. thumbz... *yawn* ...yeah and then you just wrap it around and it'll be good. Yer good to go."

No, I am asking for a detailed explanation of what wrapping motion protects what bone and how. Does anyone actually know?

Thanks guys!

2. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Try training with palm strikes. That always used to work for me.

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Ya, there's the proper way...kinda hard to describe...where after you put the loop over the thumb you start wrapping down towards the wrist 4 times? then back over the palm...theres a way in which you wrap between the fingers, protecting the big knuckles and then wrapping/counterwrapping the thumb...if done correctly you'll end up with velco secured to your wrist.

You really need to get a seasoned boxer/trainer to show you a couple of times...I still canna do it properly every time. Seems to take me forever to wrap my kids' hands before their boxing lessons.

If there's a boxing club near you, go over and have 'em to show you. They are the best.

4. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

If your wrist goes wrap that more, if your knuckles go wrap them more.

5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Good call.

Bag gloves also help

6. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter