The Git's Coronary Bypass Bypass

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by belltoller, Nov 29, 2014.

1. InkyTommy

InkyTommy Unique Like Everyone Else

This is where weight training can help. Doing some kind of shoulder exercise can build up the strength required to hold off that fatigue.

Punching with weights (5 -10 lbs) is also a good way keep your guard from getting knackered.

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

This is why I prefer a side stance and training the ability to switch lead hand. Like in the photo below:

[​IMG]

You can keep the front hand down at a distance. If your opponent catches you off guard and gets in close, you can lean back and raise the front shoulder to block any incoming shots.

3. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Do you wear the same awesome trousers aswell?

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Footage from my latest seminar:

[​IMG]

5. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Be honest Van, you like that stance 'cause it gives you the quickest opportunity to plant your rude foot in someone's face.

You kickers :rolleyes: :)

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Most definitely. :)

I also strike that pose while peeing. Makes me feel powerful.

7. belltoller

Well, I finally got 'round to locating the speed bag. I went ahead and replaced the entire swivel mechanism with a high-end, fully machined, triple action ball bearing one and not only did it rid us of that annoy-some rattle, it is smoooth!

Worth every penny.

[​IMG]

8. ned

ned Valued Member

Good log you got going here mate ;)

For someone just recently been given the all clear to train again,your're putting in some pretty awesome sessions down in Belltoller's boxing basement !
    Your cardio fitness must have significantly improved given that you're doing a dozen rounds of bagwork,that's some good work there .

Been interesting to me also reading about the structure of your classes and the instruction/corrections you're getting which mirror the experience at the club I've been going to - I think the methodology of training found in boxing gyms gives a really good return for the effort put in.
    Looking forward to reading your posts here in 2015,

have a great Xmas bubs :)

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

We're going to have to start calling you Bellator instead of Belltoller soon enough.

10. belltoller

Actually, its been just the opposite, or seems. It was during class - when they'd bumped the intensity levels up when they were running the fighters through the conditioning phase, that's when my leaking aortic valve and enlarged heart condition first showed up.

I've to fault/credit that session as I'd NEVER been so ... canna say physical exhaustion - winded, breathless, unable to get enough O2 in me - it warn't tired muscles, strain, pain or any of that. It was the feeling that (I imagine) a diver gets when his tank begins running out of air...totally unlike anything I've ever experienced before - rather scary.

Yeah, I recently found out it is the same condition that Stefan Struve was diagnosed with.

A couple of things - my doctor has been giving me medicines that open up the bronchial airways and increase lung efficiency - the drawback is it increases the heart-rate which is already high . I'm to take those a few minutes before I engage in cardiac activity.

I'm literally gassing before the session is halfway done - I keep going at a very reduced power, efficiency output, drenched with sweat, sucking wind, nose running, ears-ringing - not finishing with clean, powerful rounds - I've to be clear. But instead of quitting, I keep going, which is something I didn't do before.

Also - don't assume your jabs and MY jabs are equal - they probably aren't - unfortunately...Mine probably seem like this blokes' in comparison.

[​IMG]

BTW, glad you're enjoying the flog (fitness log ;) )

Happy Christmas!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Didn't he kick Happy Gilmore's ass?

12. belltoller

Who??

Don't know them, 'fraid. I just typed in "old git on the bag" or somesuch ( you shoulda seen some of the responses! ) and that fellow, Happy, or whoever, came up, lol.

13. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

"It's the price is right, Happy"

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You need to watch it.

(It's a movie.)

(No, not THAT type of movie ya pervert!)

15. belltoller

The kids with fevers and I'm feeling poorly today, hacky lazy, just out of fettle - maybe tomorrow will be better.

That'll do.

Happy Holidays and all.

Ta Rah!

16. belltoller

Did absolutely nothing today except eat and sleep, literally. Odd the respiratory infection and fever we're all down with here did none to stave off anyone's appetite.

Even the dog overindulged himself on turkey and consequently became a poop machine. I'd to give him anti-diarrhea medicine which made him sleepy.

Why must we obey this yearly call to overindulgence and gluttony? Just because we are presented the opportunity to consume 5 meals at a sitting doesn't mean we should obey it.

I've determined things to be different next year. Besides, with a heart condition, I can ill afford to overindulge in food anymore. I can already imagine feeling the heavy thumping of a heart having to work overtime through the excess and the respiratory infection as I begin my fitness routines in the next days.

Its pure insanity.

17. belltoller

I was actually feeling rather energetic come late afternoon - something I warn't anticipating given the orgy of culinary excess which I'd subjected myself to the last few days. I'd been barely able to bend over to pick up a dog-end (if I still smoked).

I'd like to think it indication of an improving composition to be the source of my spike in energy but it prolly the White Chocalate Mocha and Gingerbread Lattes that I had at Starbucks :(

70 lb Bag...............................................Time/Rest..........Sets

Single, double, triple jabs.............................3min/30sec x2
    Jab to Head, Cross to head..........................3min/30sec x2
    Jab to Body, Cross to Body...........................3min/30sec x2
    Left Hook to Head, Cross to Head..................3min/30sec x2

Taking a leaf from Sloth's log, I went at it ~70%. By the end of the second set...I was out of breath and not able to continue anymore. I'd foregone taking drugs and inhalants this time as I don't want to become too dependent on them.

Took a long break and went back down. This time, I was careful and measured. Made sure I retracted to guard quickly and focused on accuracy but when I landed, I landed very lightly ~ 15 - 20%.

The difference was amasing - breathing heavy but not the type where you've to walk around to catch yer breath.

Single, double, triple jabs.............................3min/30sec x2
    Jab to Head, Cross to head..........................3min/30sec x2
    Jab to Body, Cross to Body...........................3min/30sec x2
    Left Hook to Head, Cross to Head..................3min/30sec x2

Next came work on the tricky and very addicting (once you've the hang of it) speed bag. Focus was all on the jab-arm - setting rhythm initially on a 4-count and increasing to 2-count. This was quite fun - my 12yr old had picked this up quite fast at boxing class and passed on his cadence tricks on to his dad. The only trouble I had with this was my left shoulder getting very tired. I know...time to hit the weights....
    Speed Bag...............................................Time/Rest.........Sets

single, 4 count jab.......................................3min/30sec........1
    sing, 2 count jab.........................................3min/30sec........4
    I'd wanted to do more but it being late already and I've a commitment to try and convert my late-hour energy spikes that are ruining my health due to the number they are doing on my sleep patterns to early morning routines.

So I purposefully took off the gloves and unwrapped my hands far earlier than I'd really wanted to.

Just hope I can pick the energy back up in the morning without having to go to Starbucks ( which never seems to help in the mornings, anyroad )

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  18. InkyTommy

InkyTommy Unique Like Everyone Else

Very nice! Pretty spry for a bloke on heart meds.

And I've decided that "Orgy of Culinary Excess" will be the name of my new punk band...

19. belltoller

Not on "heart" meds - least not yet. These are more what are prescribed to asthmatics and pulmonary issues - they help with breathing efficiency but can't overindulge them or apparently one ends up with the very maladies they were made to address.

Sounds like a crackin' band.
    You've to post your demo's here, first! lol!

20. belltoller

Today's log comprised of the moments - snatches stolen here and there. A bit of quiet - hurry down for a couple minutes on the speed bag...Hinny and bairns watching "Harry Potter" - good time to grab the dumbells and move into a corner behind the sofa... "the bleedin 'ell is that Darth Vader ruckus coming from 'arry?" "No, that's da breathing back there." :rolleyes:

Speed Bag
    Approximately 5 minutes of 2-Count and then 1-count - each arm

Heavy Bag

3min of jabs and crosses with half min. rest in between sets, focus on accuracy. 4 and one interrupted sets.

Chin ups from Dead Hang

2 1/2 - lol, ah, aha :eek: ( I'm not bothering to go near the scales - I'll know when I can chin-up again ) - Motivation to leave those pies off.

Left/Right Dumbell curls alternating w/Dumbell Left/Right Standing shoulder press

17/15 reps each arm, 5 or 6 sets, 11.4 kg