The Git's Coronary Bypass Bypass

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by belltoller, Nov 29, 2014.

1. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

I take it your tennis elbow is nearly 100% better? I hope so :D

Yeah Starting Strength is a pretty useful beginners guide, with a simple programme and progression method. Get the book (i think the kindle/kindle app version is cheaper than the paper copy), give it a read and see what you think. I like it because it's absolute - it's along the lines of "just do this" and as a beginner you just need to get started. Although be prepared to learn some more as you go along so you can adjust a bit to what suits you (and what you enjoy).

There is a lot of (seemingly) contradictory advice about weight training, more often than not it's because: "most things work if you do" meaning hard work most often trumps fancy programming.

I'm not sure you necessarily need to strengthen anything before starting barbell training, but if course if you're in doubt ask your doctor, and seek out professional instruction in performing the lifts (although i found working it out mainly for myself to be highly satisfying).

Get cracking mate :)

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Thanks for your ( and Ned's) recommendation for the book. I do like the idea of a simple, straightforward recipe catlogue where someone else has done all the thinking.

My elbow seems to be holding up but I'm a wee concerned as it begins twinging above 35 lb dumbells. Consequently, I'm having to leave off any but a few 40 lb routines.

I'm not certain at this point whether I'd be better off with heavier weights done with fewer reps or lighter weights done with more reps - as far as which would be less likely to bring back the Lateral Epicondylitis.

I'm not scheduled for any more physio appointments and besides, she warn't a believer in weight-lifting to begin with so I canna get input there.

If you have any thoughts on it, I'm all ears!

3. InkyTommy

InkyTommy Unique Like Everyone Else

Aye. 'Tis a good book, laddie. I actually met Mark Rippetoe, the author once a while back (since he lives in Big D). He actually came to check out our parkour group many moons ago.

Even though the guy literally wrote the book on weight training, he was still interested in new methods of strength training and conditioning.

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738/ref=la_B0055JD4CW_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1435267388&sr=1-1

"Doctor, my elbow hurts when I try to curl more than 35 lbs! What should I do?"

"Don't curl more than 35 lbs!"

Maybe you try to gradually increase the number of reps at a lower weight (like 30 lbs or sumpin').

And the higher rep count gets too easy, bump up the weight a notch.

4. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Thing is with tendon injuries, there isn't much blood flow to them/through them, so recovery and healing takes aaaaaaaaaaaages.

My injury was really minor (it hurt a little bit when I exerted near maximum crush grip, or fully flexed the elbow under load), and it's taken about 6-7 months to get back to the point of no unexpected pain. Also, mine was acute (it happened at exactly one moment, rather than built up over time) which makes it easy to stop doing what made it happen in the first place.
    For about 2 months I did no weight training with the injured side (I did 1 arm dumbell stuff with the uninjured side, and high rep squatting which doesn't inflame my elbows), and have gradually built back up over time.

So yeah, don't rush it, if doing something makes it hurt, don't do that thing, try to get blood flow there (keep it warm, massage it yourself/by professional), do good "recovery" stuff (sleep enough, eat enough, reduce stress), stimulate the non injured side for some gainzzz. :D

5. belltoller

Really? Who'd of thought?

[​IMG] :p

6. belltoller

Did you continue with body-weight training (after you restarted weight-training)? Were their any routines that you avoided altogether (besides the ones that caused pain, obviously)?

I came across a podcast that addressed a few of these issues - sounds reasonable but I'll let youse have a listen and see what you think. He did mention that one should avoid pull-ups - which is a routine I've been keen on restarting.

I can understand people's sentiments."oh, tennis elbow, for god's sake; Poor dearies, how bad could that be?"

For people who've not had this it would be natural to think, "what are they goin on about? If it makes their elbow touchy, then just quit." Even the silly name, "tennis elbow" - sounds like an affliction of the posh classes, acquired from having too much leisure-time on hand.

But the thing being it goes from 0 to not being able to extend one's arm past 45 degrees for weeks, a swollen bony prominence the size of a plum and even so much as coming into contact with a pillow sends one's spine near out of their skin from the staggering pain and as you mentioned, Harry, it can put the clamps on any real training for a very long time.

Its not like it gives one plenty of warning in advance. You do what you always do and one day find you cannot move your arm. So if you want to continue training, sport or anything likewise, you find yourself looking very closely at each individual routine that you do and judge as to whether it will be likely to end activities that require the use of both arms.

Anyroads...here's the podcast I mentioned. Thank all of you kindly for the help!

https://soundcloud.com/tenniselbowclassroom/skip-these-exercises-if-you-have-tennis-elbow

7. InkyTommy

Okay, I really need to start watching "Trailer Park Boys"...

8. belltoller

Huh? Those are from home-made vids. ;)

9. InkyTommy

:jawdrop:

10. belltoller

Begining body weight training this week - actually, more of reintroducing a few body weight routines to see how the tendonitis reacted.

So far, so good. I've mainly limited it to press-ups till now. I'll begin adding pull-ups tomorrow. No reverse-hand pullups for the foreseeable future (that goes for reverse hand/palms out curls or anything else) as its said to put undue strain on the elbow.

I'm also foregoing dead-hang types for now as I don't want to be hyper-extending my arm. Ideally, I'd like to loose a bit of weight that I've put on before I'm seriously/regularly training with those. I'd lost maybe 10 pounds or more the previous week or two - mainly due to the hotel I'd stayed at having an excellent fitness centre, having access ( and the need ) to 17 flights of stairs to climb up to 3 times a day and really skimping on food. That put me at 207 lb but I'd like to reach 170lb - 180lb.

I'm having to really put my mind to it not to gain any of it back and its been difficult - familiar obligations and so forth has been the primary factor in not being able to be efficient with respects to a good exercise programme.

The week or two away and the gains in fitness/loss of weight proved that.

Tough trying to fit it all together - its all important. Can't leave out one for the other.

11. InkyTommy

I'm not sure if fraternization with other internet communities is allowed, but you may want to check out the American Parkour forum. (www.americanparkour.com)

They have a ton of good body weight type training exercises since parkour emphasizes "natural" movement.

The exercises are probably nothing you haven't seen before, but the combinations and quantities might just to the trick.

I used to spend a lot of time working out at the jungle gyms at the local parks until people started giving me weird looks.

Then I'd just go really early in the morning to avoid those prying eyes...

For example, here's one:

20 Seconds of max effort, 10 Seconds rest for 8 rounds (4 Minutes total)

Alternating between Squats and Push-Ups

Rest, then another 8 rounds of

Alternating between Pull-Ups and Sit-Ups

Finish up with a stretch

12. belltoller

Alternated through these body-weight exercises, approx 1min rest between each separate exercise (e.g. 15 push ups followed by a minute rest, then 10 glude bridges, etc.)
    push ups 15, 10, 10
    glute bridge 10, 10, 5
    pull ups (chin ups - done with palm-in) 2, 1-static hold, 2-negatives using jump box
    burpees 10, 9, 6
    One of my go-to's - the ab-wheel - is on indefinate hiatus due to the extreme amount of the wrong sort of pressure placed on my lateral epicondyle. Instead I used a large Swiss ball - still pressure but not nearly so much as would have occured with the ab-rollout wheel
    Swiss Ball Rollout 10, 5, 5 (limited reps due to managing the tendonitis)
    Called it quits after that. I've no idea at this point where the proverbial straw that breaks the camel-toe's back might be with respects to aggravating the lateral epicondylitis and I don't want to find out today.

So far, so good. No pain or inflammation - though I did wear the elbow splint and wrist guards on my right arm throughout the routine.

Wrapped my hands and finished off on the 70lb canvas bag - very winded after the two minute burnout as I've left off for some time but I also felt amasingly accomplished.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  13. InkyTommy

Not a bad start!

I think that Frank Zappa song is giving you motivation!

14. belltoller

[​IMG]

Ja, mon.

It's all dat bread I be making wid dat Montana thread.

15. belltoller

Morning:
    1 hour basketball with son #1

Afternoon:

My II son's American Football league is gearing up to begin their tryout, selections and drafts ahead of the summer training that begins in earnest the week after.

As this is his first year of actually playing on a league football team, I've taken the task of trying to help him accustom himself to the drills and physical demands that he will encounter when their training commences under this cursed heat and humidity.

That means pulling him out during the hottest part of the day to run pattern relays, use of the agility ladder ( I remembered a couple of routines from my boxing class ), quick-reflex drills using the cones and adjustable hurdles, etc., and of course running plays.

I ran them all as well, of course, as well as the ladders, hurdles and all the rest.

Didn't take too long before he was leaving me in the dust in many of them. --> Mission accomplished.

When its 35 C and the relative humidity is 93%, all one has to do is go outside and stand still. Literally, within a few minutes of just standing still, one will be soaked. Add to it allergies to whatever evil organism the SE USA grass harbours during the summer and its a recipe for pure, unadulterated joy.

Its unbelievably hot and humid here. My son soldiered on, knowing that as bad as it is, after the players don their body-armour of helmet, pads, girdles, cleats, face-guards, knee braces, etc., etc., when the real training begins, it will be far worse - so we both strove to make the hour session, which we did, though I didn't tell him I was getting that humming, numb-faced sensation that probably wasn't a good sign of something.

Morning:

2 min of skip roping. I havent had at it in some time and its a very awkward session.

3 minutes of 10lb slam ball - done with max effort and a jump at the end of the slam

wrap hands and have a go at the speed bag for 2 minutes - surprisingly easy...too easy. I check...of course...the bag is a bit under pressurised :rolleyes:

Interval timer set for 1min with 30 sec rest - I recall a few months ago I managed to do a 3 minute round for over a dozen rounds :(

Where the hell did it go?

70 lb canvas bag ( foregoing the Muay Thai bag for now to lessen the jarring impact on right arm )

Jabs, crosses and hooks, ind and combos, recalling proper stance and rotation, etc.

I did notice the bag swinging a bit more wildly and unevenly than it had in previous months and I'm feeling a bit uncoordinated miss timing slips and dodges as the heavy bag moves back and forth.

Duties require me to finish up long before I'd of liked.

-----

Had planned to do a bit of weight training with the barbell and new bench but as my "free" time is growing shorter I join my son and some of his friends to act as defensive back in their football game.

Despite my charges being nimble, quick and agile, I had no problems cutting them off - at first...

But after 3 plays I'm getting rather winded - they are as well - but the difference is ( and this is the true effects of aging ) they recover by the next play. Its taking me longer and longer and eventually I'm breathing quite heavily as I walk up to the scrimmage line.

I realise that I need to do what it takes. Why not?

16. belltoller

Only time for a quick set of body weights today. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to put in a bit of time. A little more winded on the burpees today than last time.
    push ups 15, 10, 10
    Chin-ups 2 + static hold 2 reps; negatives 2 reps with aid of jump box
    glute bridge 10, 10, 7
    burpees 10, 5, 5
    Swiss Ball Rollout 10, 10, 8
    Planks - 30 second holds; 10 reps X 3 sets

17. belltoller

Quick-like, here

Began weight training (of sorts) with a bench and barbell. Very basic.

As I don't have an Olympic (yet) I loaded the barbell that I do have with enough to simulate an empty Olympic bar (20kg) - which is where I'm starting from till I feel like my form (particularly on squats and DL's) is up to snuff.

I'll flesh out the details later, when time.

Squat (5 X 5) As I've no power rack (yet), had to use the bench's rack
    Bench Press (5 X 5)
    Barbell Row (5 X 5)
    Overhead Press (5 X 5)

TBC

EDIT:

Obviously, the "empty bar" weight of 20kg will become the beginning warm-up weight next time I do these.

The plan being to add more weight each week assuming successful completion of the previous weeks sets/reps of the given exercise.

I may be adjusting the sets/reps and deviate off the 'Stronglifts' blueprint that I'm currently using per

that Harry had reco'd on Matvei's training log ( hope you don't mind my nicking it, Mat :) )

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  18. belltoller

Bodyweights
    push ups 14, 11, 9
    Chin-ups 2 + 3 negatives
    glute bridge 10, 7, 7
    burpees 10, 8, 5
    Swiss Ball Rollout 10, 10, 10
    Planks - 30 second holds; 10 reps X 2 sets, 7 reps X 1
    Depth to Long Jump 3 X 6 (felt weak on these)
    Depth to Long Jump done by setting one's plyo-box to its max height, jumping off and landing so that knees are bent in a sort of diver's angle, immediately do a long jump, return to the plyo and repeat.

19. belltoller

Having had to formally quit the boxing class a couple of months now, I find my desire to train is still there; even if logistical considerations, obligations and the like prevent me from being able to make it to the nearest boxing gym to train.

I've managed to put together a fairly decent home boxing gym in our basement (minus an actual boxing ring) over the last several months and this helps with the problem of continuing to train without access to a gym.

[​IMG]

The main component that's missing: A trainer.

Wonder if any of them make house calls?

Skip rope 1min
    Switching lunge jumps 1min ( done aggressively left me gasping )
    Speed bag 1min each arm, 30 sec rest each, 1min combo for 3min - able to maint good rhythm throughout.
    The 150lb Muay Thai bag is quite solid/compact and even moderate hits are bone jarring - even at the top of the bag as I'd resetled the stuffings of my heavy bags a month or so ago.

To prevent rekindling the lateral epicondylitis, I've decided to slowly reintroduce the MT back into the bagwork routine later on.

All bagwork done on the 70lb canvas bag. Everlast Interval Round Timer set to 1min with 30 second rests {see notes below}
    Straight Lefts with precision and snap the priority. Done singularly with little in the way of defencive footwork as I wish to concentrate on the strikes themselves without becoming fatigued too early.

Straight Rights see above for emphasis. Quick, purposeful retraction of jab into nice, hard, right-cross. Again little in the way of footwork except as needed to pivot/rotate for solid punch delivery
    1-2 Combos keeping the rounds to one minute during the single-punch routine has allowed me to conserve almost all my energy and the combo rounds include more realistic, defencive footwork and movement around and with the swing of the bag, though most of the slipping, ducking, rapid, reverse pivots to simulate an actual fight are left out.
    1-2, left hook to body see above
    Rapid 1-2, right hook to body - this feels dodgy. The double-right is awkward and I've lost something in the timing and proper stance for good delivery since I last trained it at the actual gym. Though frustrating, I don't let it under my skin.

I repeat the entire sequence from above starting with the single jab. The difference being I switch levels on the second go 'round. Jabs to "body"; 1-2 to body, left hook to "head", etc.

I'm called away by domestic issues (the bane of home training) before I've a chance for a proper-like wrap-up, cool down and stretches but I feel mostly happy that I was able to put in more time on some of the boxing apparatus than I've managed in a while.

The downfall has always been being able to do this consistently.

Notes:

I've a confession to make. Despite doing my best to keep my cardio up with nearly daily basketball (now football), etc., since quitting my gym in May, 6-9 months ago I was able to spend triple the amount of round time on three to five times the number of routines than I'm currently able to do.

I've two possible answers for this rather dramatic decline.

First - The time that I spent under professional trainers had a far greater positive effect on my fitness than I even imagined.

Second - My health condition may have begun to deteriorate since I was first diagnosed last fall and recently started smoking again after having quit several years hasn't helped ( ja, that's about as bright a thing as I've done in some time ) and I'm almost comically surprised how quickly I went from 0 to over a pack a day in such a short time.

Funny, that.

I suppose stress, not being able to train regularly, unresolved issues, etc. may have led to that but I really cann't account for the sudden self-destruct programme that's been activated.

Anyroad...I've to sort this out

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  20. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

You've smoking over a pack of fags a day and you're wondering if that might be why your cardio is suffering.... seriously, you're wondering? :confused:

I'm not going to preach at you, because I was a smoker for years and I know how insanely addictive nicotine is.

I'm just going to wish you every success in packing the bloody things in again, because you know damn well it's the best possible thing you can do.

Good luck with it. :)