The Gambeson

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Polar Bear, Feb 1, 2008.

1. RAbid Hamster

RAbid Hamster Herr Trubelmacher

In light of Bears admission that he can manage cushions....
    about 1min 35sec into this video is the gambeson I expect Bear to produce
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_wzi-kTVOI]Fine Young Cannibals[/ame]

2. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Here's the 'Get Dressed for Battle' Gambeson, available in the UK. Costs around £80 (inc. P&P).

I found it pretty mobile enough, but like most, find it a bit snug along the shoulders when raising the arms into the Ox guard.
    Seemed to absorb the blows I recieved on Sunday pretty well, including a thrust that just caught me below the bicep.

Although heavy the gambeson didn't seem to raise the body temperature as much as the nylon covered FMA padded suit.

http://www.gdfb.co.uk/acatalog/GDFB_Clothing.html

Louie (no connection with gdfb & not the guy in the photo) :D

Attached Files:

3. RAbid Hamster

.... and very dashing Louie looks in his gambeson at the start of a duel. At the end of the duel not so dashing ... more soggy and shattered. ;)

4. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

I've made several so far, materials ranging from linen to canvas, all sewn on my industrial sewing machine or with hand stitching.

Many use woollen blankets or pad for packing with many layers of gauze or muslin.

You will need to look at the arm/shoulder fit and if possible enlarge the bit where it attaches to the body so that the seam is not on the edge of the shoulder like a suit. Especially important if you wear armour over it... a gusset under the arm also helps with movement and is quite traditional for 14th-16thC.

5. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

The last one I made took several days from making of it through to making the leather strapping.

I find a good fitting jacket or waistcoat then make up a 4 piece pattern from that.

I wear this over my linen gambeson

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. RAbid Hamster

bump...
    have brought this one back from the past as Polar Bear's Gambeson approaches completion. Apparently Constantinople was not as well protected as Bear will be...

Bear's outer defenses...
    [​IMG]

:D

7. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

HA! Your not far off George. At seven layers of blanket and double breasted the level of protection is ENORMOUS. The very basic design with flaired shoulders means that I can do a high vom tag with ease. It's not going to be all tailored and pretty but for protection it will be amazing. Gonna have to strap it tight round the waist to stop it riding up though.

The Bear.

8. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

The Bear takes a break from training in his new gambeson...
    [​IMG]

I hope their fire retardant blankets:)

Louie