The Form Check Thread.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by seiken steve, Aug 28, 2011.

1. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I thought this could be a good idea for those of us who are learning new movements in the weights room, if other members join in we could have a helpful thread were users can post footage of themselves doing whatever movement they're concerned about an other members can offer constructive critique.

With any luck if the thread proves successful it may get stickied.

For a quick lol (and wince) here is how not to deadlift:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0ySblouCKs"]Horrible Form Deadlift - Brokeback Mountain lolz - YouTube[/ame]

Lets stick to member footage from now unless for demo purposes.

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

That video always makes me laugh and cringe in equal amounts! :bang: :D

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Excellent idea for a thread.

We have the members workout thread, so post your training there. Lets keep this one as intended, checking form in the weight room.

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

epic idea!

here are the once's i recently posted in the workout thread:

back squat: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBd900cHLZM"]back squat test rep - YouTube[/ame]

hang clean to overhead press: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxfTO8YwUOM"]wonky hang cleans to overhead presses - YouTube[/ame]

(these were VERY wonky)

front squat: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgkHX5IIJrs"]wonky clip of me front squatting - YouTube[/ame]

5. seiken steve

I'll kick things off.

I'm using good mornings to try and up my squat and deadlift, i use a 6 inch cambered bar because it feels much better and louie S said so.

i've next to non experience with this movement though.

how does it look: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwjQndxIUYE"]good mornings 27/8/11 - YouTube[/ame]

6. LeighB

LeighB Valued Member

try and push your butt back more when you do a good morning that way you get a good amount of tension on your hamstrings from the video you seem to squat it down a little. , also think of squeezing your glutes to get back to the starting position that way it keeps your back straight .

when i first started doing GM i was doing the same but by pushing my hips back and then contracting the glutes it really works the posterior change , ofc you might not get the same range of motion ( i know i didn't ) and might have to reduce the weight , but remember your doing GM to strengthen the posterior chain.

7. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

I'll be posting my deads squats, military and bench soon lol. My progress has slowed and i think its due to my bad form.

8. seiken steve

Well worth doing Tony, bad benching can wreck havoc on shoulders (don't I know it)

9. liero

liero Valued Member

That 1st video has to be a joke right? no one is THAT bad?

10. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

IIRC it was a deliberate mick-take first put up in response to some guy on T-Nation who had awful form but was bragging about it.

11. seiken steve

Good ol' diesel weasel, he's a YouTube phenomenon now.

12. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

That was the bloke! Didn't he go on to tidy up his act and get some impressive numbers up in the end?

13. seiken steve

Yeah, I think he competes now too, I wouldn't quote me though.

I remember he pulled 500lbs with his horrible hump back before cleaning up his act.

14. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

In response to the OP's video. I've seen people do stiffleg deadlifts with a rounded back. They are going for reps not weight, but it still can't be the greatest thing in the world. It's not my place to say they're doing it wrong but it kills me to see it constantly. Any suggestions?

I just realized that my problem with my Bench press is that I'm not tucking my elbows in, and I am hitting an inch or two above my nipples. This has made for slow pectoral development and when lifting to failure I get the pain in my shoulder. The same pain applies to my military press, I feel like i have the strength to push more weight but the pain holds me back. Another thing I realized is that i have a hard time keeping my shoulder blades "pinched" together, is this a back strength issue or flexibility?

Wasn't able to take a video today (bench day Week 3 on the 531 cycle) and i was able to get more pectoral burn when I benched. Still felt some pain in my shoulder but I did a lot better.

On the bright side, my Deadlift and Squat have gone over 300 lbs which is over a 100% improvement in the past year!!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  15. seiken steve

See that's how I benched too, it sucks, stop now or suffer like I do lol.

Are you arching?

Good bench form is reliant on how uncomfortable you are willing to make yourself. YouTube elite FTS so you think you can bench, dave does a better job than I will.

16. Frodocious

I'm sure I read something a while back about how people training for strongman events sometimes train deadlifts with a rounded back because it more realistically simulates picking up atlas stones. I think the point that was also made in the same article was that these people already have very strong backs from their other training so are better able to cope with rounded back lifts.

17. seiken steve

^^^
    That's flawed logic IMO, if you back is strong from deadlifting properly then it is strong, it won't loose all that strength from deadlifting when your back rounds on a stone.

For me, as an ameture and skinny bugger the heaviest stone I'll be shifting is 110kg and even then it's likely to be 100, that's very different to holding 500lbs with a rounded back.

18. Frodocious

I wish I could remember where I read the article. I'm pretty sure the writer did the very heavy deads with a properly locked out back, but added some lighter lifts in with the rounded back (as well as doing stone work) to condition the muscles in the different position and they did make the point that beginners shouldn't ever consider lifting that way and there wasn't much point in it for non-strongman competitors either.

19. seiken steve

Louie simmonds uses rounded back good mornings sparingly too, so do many of his old students I believe, W/E you won't see me doing them. :)

20. Frodocious

I wouldn't do them either! Not with my back problems! :)