the FMAs and Gun Training

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by IgitDako, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IgitDako

IgitDako Banned Banned

I know not too many FMA schools train in edge weapons, only a very few select do. And those that do train in edge weapons, tend to also train in other weapons which run the gamut of whip, bow/arrows, blow guns and of course fire arms.

Why or why don't you train in other weapons beside the rattan stick?

2. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

All the FMA practitioners that I work out with train with edged weapons as well as Firearms. That is just what we do. Almost all of them have CCW or CPL licenses and carry all the time. :cool:

3. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Is there any FMA that doesn't train edged weapons, I cannot think of any?

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Yep us too. Edged and blunt weapons, in fact anything you may have to hand, keys, pocket full of change or anything else that can be used as a weapon or projectle.

5. IgitDako

IgitDako Banned Banned

Doce Pares, Modern Arnis, Balintawak, there's more but those are the three that come to mind right now. You can usually tell who doesn't train in edge, because they are always grabbing the damn stick. :bang:

6. IgitDako

IgitDako Banned Banned

This is very good, as we all know too much focus has been on the stick, forgetting that the stick is suppose to represent a sword. Like the finger pointing at the moon. Many think that the finger is the moon. :confused:

7. Simon

You are wrong, I train in Doce Pares and the art has a complete knife system.

8. IgitDako

IgitDako Banned Banned

I think everyone has a "knife" system, simon. We've all seen those coconut wooden knives. But do these group actually train with live blades in an alive setting?

9. Simon

Come find out.

10. IgitDako

IgitDako Banned Banned

I guess, what I'm asking is, is it as robust as Pekiti Tirsia, Sayoc Kali and Kali Illustrisimo, or any other groups who focus on edge weapons as their bread and butter specialty? :love:

11. Simon

Sayok Kali has some great knife stuff, but your question is like saying "does Karate have as good a punching system as boxing, which is their speciality".

12. IgitDako

IgitDako Banned Banned

In a way, I guess it is. Most MMA fighters who lack punching ability go to a boxing trainer, not to a karate master.

A coconut wooden knife is just not the same compared to a real ginunting. The truth is in the blade.

13. IgitDako

IgitDako Banned Banned

A Sharpee marker and a fat pencil makes marks (like No Lie Blades).

A Sharpee marker and a fat pencil you pick anywhere, or if bought is really cheap, you can use it effectively without screwing up your training because your training tool is too damn expensive.

Notice how Sayoc/Pekiti Tirsia (and others who specialize in the blade) move and notice Doce Pares and Modern Arnis, who have gone down a less combative path--They don't move, they are static, playing patty cake! I'm just pointing out the difference here, not bad mouthing others. Train or don't train at all, because the blade is the real thing, brother. I'm not picking on you, or ridiculing you, I'm trying to get you to augment your training and realize what blade work is.

(If you don't like how I'm saying this, I'm sorry, you guys need to get thicker skins.)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  14. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68388&highlight=ptkalista

And there he goes again.....LOL.

15. IgitDako

IgitDako Banned Banned

What can I say, the guy's right. I might not agree with how he's saying it:

But you gotta admit that this fella sounds like GT Gaje and if you're ridiculing this person, then you are ridiculing GT Gaje by proxy.

On a more serious note, there is a difference in movement, Doce Pares/Modern Arnis need to either take Sayoc/Pekiti Tirsia seminars or watch their videos, and tweek their blade work as to not sell a defective product to an unknowing public, who may just think that not moving is the right way to handle blades, thus get themselves into a serious world of hurt.

16. IgitDako

IgitDako Banned Banned

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3CzYw5-qdA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3CzYw5-qdA[/ame]

The Grizzly Suit: You never have to train with a Blade with this thing on.

17. Simon

I think you are making a few mistakes here.

Have you trained in Doce Pares or Modern Arnis, I suspect not, I also suspect you have got a lot of your ideas from clips on you-tube. What you have to bear in mind is the Doce Pares clips on you tube are of competition fighting, which is fought for points. This bears no resemblance at all to the practical side of the art, which is still alive and well.

Do you think we only train for competition. Take me for an example. I have trained in Kung Fu, Boxing and Jeet Kune Do all of which is incorporated into the Doce Pares I teach now.

Many other Instructors in the other arts you mention do the same, crosstrain.

Do not be fooled by a few video clips.

Also note, we have all said what a great art PT is, becuase we have trained with those who study it, can you say the same about our arts , not the competition stuff, the real combat side of the art?

18. IgitDako

IgitDako Banned Banned

Is this side secret?

If you know the difference between patty cakes with fake knives and real knives, you need to state this difference, simon. There are kids out there watching the stuff you (and others) put out. It will get people killed.

Where is this real combat side? The inability to realize that what you and that other chap did with that shock knife, is bad training, suggests that the lesser FMAs don't really understand blade work and the inherent danger that comes with it.

Sadly when it comes to blade, you can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't practice patty cakes and expect to survive a real knife attack.

19. Simon

It's no secret at all, however to help promote the art, certainly in this country, the competition is what a lot of people are interested in, maybe that's why there is more of that side of the art on you tube.

A foolish statement. Do you think there should be a disclaimer at the start of eack Karate competition, or Kung Fu competition saying " do not do this on the street, it could get you hurt" Do you think any instructor in any art will teach competition moves and sell them as street self defence, I don't.

Do you think then that a good PT video with a live blade will teach youngsters to go and stab people?

Also you train with a pencil, which does not even pass as a fake blade.

As I said previously, don't make an assumption based on one short edited clip.
    I'll ask again, please be honest without replying with a question, as I have been courteous enough to reply with an answer each time, have you trained in Doce Pares, Rapid or Modern Arnis.

20. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

live blades in an alive setting = hospital/morgue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.