The flame free confession thread.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by seiken steve, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

here's another: if you train fasted or after heavy cardio (including MA training), reduce intensity and increase volume. the energy expenditure will make your strength ceiling plummet, so you have to effectively train as if your 1rms were lower.

also, i'll ammend my prior statement to 'the usefulness of high intensity and low volume training is directly proportional to the comparative loading potential of the lift'. high intensity training is designed to cause systemic stress by having multiple joints spread out the load among them. the fewer joints you involve, the more stress they receive, and they can only take so much before they go kaput

2. TheDog

TheDog Banned Banned

I jog. This is simply because I cannot convince myself that a human being should be unable to jog, say, 3 miles over some moderate hills without encountering serious difficulty. I've heard the arguments and I think this 'cardio will kill your gains' mantra stinks higher than a fart aboard a 747.

Similarly, I perform situps. I know. This one I find harder to defend except under the broad heading 'but I've always done them and I find the idea of being without them strange'

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I like this. Regardless of anything else, I think there's an argument for functional cardio in the same way as there is for functional strength.

Any reasonably healthy adult should be able to do exactly this without too much difficulty and if they can't it's a good target to aim for.

Mitch

4. TheDog

TheDog Banned Banned

Yeah, I mean it's not like I'm arguing for everybody to do ultramarathons or anything. Like anything else, I think there's a 'dose' that won't do anything, a dose that will be beneficial and a dose that will actively hurt you. But running a handful of miles a few times a week is probably reasonable.

5. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Agreed 100% this is one of the best post so far :)

6. Mitch

All it was missing was the word fartlek.

Pfffftttttttttttttttttttt :D

Mitch

7. TheDog

TheDog Banned Banned

Possibly I should have typed 'fartlek aboard a 747'?

Too late now... curses.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  8. Mitch

Welcome to MAP, you'll fit in just fine :D

Mitch

9. TheDog

TheDog Banned Banned

cool :)

one last confession- I... this is hard to admit but I'm not sure I like the idea of taking exercise advice from Mark Rippetoe. Dress it up however you like, but you can't avoid one basic fact: the man is fat.

10. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Good luck closing that can of worms, I hurt many a but saying that a while back :)

11. TheDog

TheDog Banned Banned

This thread's supposed to be 'flame free' isn't it? :)
    Still, there's such a thing as tempting fate...

12. Mitch

"tempting fat," surely?

Mitch

13. TheDog

TheDog Banned Banned

Nice one :)