The flame free confession thread.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by seiken steve, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

I do my exercises for the same reason, because I enjoy doing them, but I wouldn't like them if they weren't a product of thorough analysis and research.
    Knowledge is fun IMO.

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i think that's really more of a case of people being dumb than the mantra itself being bad. everyone knows that intensity is needed, so in itself not training hard most often means that you're not training smart either ('cept in case of injury and other nonstandard situations).

3. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Yeah but 9/10 the guy doing dumb things with intensity will be more awesome than the guy researching how to be awesome, or doing form checks with a broomstick.

That's why crossfitters are stronger than most other people, buts will be hurt by this I'm sure :)

EDIT: and yeah, your point is right, I'm just being purposely infamitory on the point. The fact is though people are lacking in intensity and over thinking so much stuff.

4. Fish Of Doom

word.

also, weights-wise, the average person needs exactly nothing other than paused squats, rows and (preferably overhead :p) presses, plus whatever might be needed for any present physical issues. anything else is optional unless a specific goal necessitates it (sport or job performance, for example).

5. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

But I suspect that a large number of the 'hard' trainers aren't training smart, they're just pushing themselves without any thought to how its affecting their recovery or development, because they think that more is better. A fair proportion of them might get stronger (than more calculating trainees) by doing such routines, but there are also the ones who are permanently nursing injuries, getting infections and who stop training earlier (in life) due to the damage caused by their regimes.

This is a pet peeve of mine. People that think that quantity/duration equals quality or intensity.

6. Fish Of Doom

a thought: the usefulness of low volume at high intensity seems to be directly proportional to both the amount of joints mobilized in the movement, and the range of motion through which it happens

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  7. seiken steve

A good thought it was my fishy friend.

8. Fish Of Doom

but not a flawless one though. should probably add "and inversely proportional to the difficulty of stabilizing the used joints" to account for stuff like overhead squats (same joints, less stability, sometimes more ROM than other squats, but definitely more risky to do heavy singles on)

9. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I think you just broke my mind with that.

Kinda makes sense though.

:eek: What's the difference?

Screw that, all people should have the strength to lift big weights. She was pretty awesome though :D

---------

Confession 1:Relaxed, gentle body moving exercises are great when you have DOMS (in my experience).
    Confession 2: I feel that if you're having to rely on lifting big weights to make you feel strong then you probably need to do more bodyweight exercises. :eek:

10. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

the difference between jogging and running, well I would never go out intentionally to jog because it feels like a bouncy inefficient movement, whereas running as it's faster not only burns more calories, increases heart rate, when done with good technique is less bouncy. I would say most of the running I do follows this principle, with it being better to burn out and walk a couple of stretches than to drift along at a comfortable pace for x miles

11. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

-In reference to difference between running and jogging-

Or lordy karatesloth.

There are three major techniques for forward movement that most people just understand as 'running.'

1.)Sprinting 2.)Running & 3.)Jogging

A proper sprint comes in 3 stages involving the initial driving force from a crouched position for 10-15 meters, a transition period from the crouched position to an upright sprinting position lasting 10-15 meters, and the final sprinting position which can be thought as your running form, only maxed out in stride length and frequency. All in all though, sprinting is about getting from one spot to another as quickly as possible and the stages are very fluid and naturally comes as one motion once you learn to do it.

Running is done in an upright position and can be done at different intensities. Intensity levels of running are dictated on your stride length and frequency, and how fast or easy you are able to run. This is dependent on your flexibility, mobility, form, and endurance. Generally if you're running you can cover a mile in 7 min or less. A 4 min mile would be running fast for 4 min, a 7 min mile running slow for 7 min.

Jogging is basically a 'warm up' pace. You're upright and you're not trying to hold any type of stride length or frequency, you just place one foot in front of the other. Since your forward motion isn't balancing out your springing motion to move forward, you end up doing this "bouncing" people are talking about which can cause havoc on your shins, ankles, feet, knees, and back. I wouldn't recommend jogging for anything but a warm up, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 a mile in the grass (but there are far better ways to warm up). It generally takes 8 min. a mile and more if you're jogging.

I can walk faster than I can jog, although I look like a complete asshat, pumping my arms and taking huge strides :p

Edit: Hate can make you run faster and longer too.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  12. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

So are you saying that people who do relays are not really sprinting because they run onto to the previous person in the team rather than starting from a crouch?

I don't think you can distinguish between running and jogging. Running is simply a gait where both feet are off the ground at points in the stride as opposed to walking where one foot is on the ground at all times. Jogging is at one end of the running spectrum and sprinting is at the other end.

13. Ero-Sennin

You absolutely can differentiate between the kinds of 'running.' A relay event is a running event, a sprinting event a sprint event, or "dash" as they like to call it in track. There's a reason they have labels. A sprint involves coming out of the hole and reaching your max velocity within about 20 meters and then maintaining it with running. Somebody who is running, even if it's incredibly fast is not going to reach their full speed as quick as in a sprint. There are major differences between the three forms I mentioned and they're pretty significant.

Edit: You don't have to take my word for it. Google the "difference between sprinting, running, and jogging." Plenty of stuff pops up for it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  14. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

I disagree. Sprinting and marathon running use different types of running, but you are still running. The 100, 200 and 400 meter race are all sprints and they don't all hit maximum velocity at 20 meters out of the starting blocks. I've never heard anyone say that these races, or the 4x100 and 4x400 meter events, are not sprints.
    I'm not saying you can't differentiate between the types of running, I'm saying they are all running.

15. Ero-Sennin

Sorry, I replied a bit too quick and didn't re-read what I wrote. A sprint goes from your driving phase (falling forward) to your digging phase, to your acceleration phase. You don't reach maximum velocity at 20 meters :p

Anyways, unless you were replying and didn't see my edit in the previous post just go ahead and Google the phrase "difference between sprinting, running, and jogging." Plenty of stuff out there, you don't have to take my word for it. I'm just rattling off the stuff I was taught in track&field.

All are forms of running, it's just inconvenient that when you're classifying the types of running the "running" type is just called "running."

16. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Eh, I'm special. :dunno:

Ah, so all those times I've chatted to people about "going for a jog" I should have said "going for a run"? Ah, okies. I'd honestly thought that the difference was more of a tomato (tom-ae-to)/tomato (tom-a-to) thing. Well there you go. Cheers peeps :)

Lol, that would look pretty entertaining :D

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

This is why you should do fartlek. Partly because it allows for various intensities of running, but mainly because you get to say fartlek a lot.

Mitch

18. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I love doing fartlek training.

Of course just walking up a flight of stairs is fartleg training for me for what it does to my heart rate. :Angel:

19. seiken steve

Agreed on both counts.

Fartlek.

20. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Believe to be true.