The flame free confession thread.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by seiken steve, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

catabolic effect of caffeine due to it increasing cortisol supresses protein synthesis after training and in the morning cortisol is already high (cortisol awakening response) so it's better to take in caffeine then so you don't disrupt the natural cycle throughout the rest of the day

and the neural wake up it gives you is best before training or in the morning to get you sharp

2. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Enjoy life.

Far too many people on strict workout plans miss this critical thing.
    Martial arts training is a marathon, not a sprint. Keeping your body into shape and low fat percentage is cool, but there is no need to rush it or to be ripped all the time. Enjoy that occasional high cal breakfast on holiday.

Stop and smell the roses.

3. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I think this may well be against two items of religious faith for me:
    1. Train in the afternoon or evening (or both).
    2. Drink caffeine throughout the day.
    :)

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Hate makes the weight lighter.

Caffeine makes the weight lighter.

Carbs make the weight lighter.

Hate, caffeine, and carbs are the best pre-workout and breakfast. Sorrow and protein the best dinner.

There is only deadlift and squat days. All other days in the gym are just active recovery for the next deadlift or squat day.

You should be sweating after your warm up.

Never stick to your high activity diet habits when you start doing less activity.

5. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Keep the shoulders engaged when swinging heavy objects, sparring, or fighting. Shoulder dislocation is doubleplusungood (as Orwell would say).

Don't put work/practice off till it be morrow. Tomorrow never comes.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  6. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

But, but, but...strong women are beautiful! :love: (unless they 'roid up and start looking like men ~shudders~ :eek: )

7. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

EDIT: totally forgot my market there. Removing to not ruffle feathers :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  8. seiken steve

That makes a lot of sense acctually, I use caffine for fasted cardio for the same reasons, never considered it having the same effect post workout....

What're your thoughts on caffine enabling GLUT4 receptors in the muscle though? Surely that's a benefit?

I know Keifer is a fan of post workout caffine, I take long enough to settle down after lifting/MA the last thing I should add is a coffee anyway though lol.

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Every human being should be able to air squat ATG, whether they intend to add weight or not.

Hindu squats are your knees' best friend.

Running = good, jogging = bad.

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNdpaJfQJDY"]Miranda Oldroyd Fran/King Kong 2011 Arnold Classic - YouTube[/ame]

all women should lift big weights.

11. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Do they not know what a "cool down" is in cross fit? Or do they like going gonads to the wall to a full stop, sending mixed messages to their heart so they feel like they're going to puke :p

12. Mangosteen

yeah but GLUT4 receptor translocation is activated with exercise anyway so caffeine is unnecessary

i don't really understand keifer's use of caffeine after lifting... the overall affect of caffeine is a bump up in adrenaline and cortisol:
    - leading to a break down of glycogen (glycogenolysis - not really what you want when backloading and taking advantage of glycogen loading compensation)
    - breaking down fats (lipolysis - seems perfect for morning ketosis that keifer advocates) but breakdown of fats is supressed with a large carbohydrate intake e.g. backloading
    - consistently elevated cortisol leads to a break down of proteins (proteolysis) which isn't beneficial to recovery or protein sysnthesis
    - lot's of neural activation, terrible after evening training

i wouldn't want to spike cortisol or adrenaline any longer than training or waking up to take advantage of the anabolic nature of other processes

13. Fish Of Doom

i do not pretend to understand crossfit :p

14. Mangosteen

i guess at it's highest levels it's just a variation on strongman?

a more endurance/time based strongman competition?

15. Fish Of Doom

the crossfit games ≠ the crossfit organization, which ≠ the people who do crossfit.

the crossfit games are cool, and the people who do crossfit sometimes do stuff right and get pretty damn good results, but the organization...

16. seiken steve

Agreed, for the short period I gave CBL a go I omitted the PWO caffine for similar reasons, especially points 3 and 4.

The amont of caffine he advocates is pretty mental, pretty much sits around 900mg a day spread through out the day, hardly ideal when calories are so low before the backload too. He then goes on to mock diet coaches who use huge amount of stimulants and low calories....

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Confession:
    I do most of the exercises I do because I enjoy doing them, not because they have been analysed to the nth degree for maximum efficacy.

Mitch

18. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Are you not flaming your own non-flame thread (not that I know anything about carb back loading, I just take small chunks from bodybuilding food guidelines and ignore the rest)?

19. seiken steve

I don't think Keifer is Likley to post here, so I'm going to go ahead and flame him :)

@mitch: despite this beings what I studied my degree in and how I make my living I pretty much ignore 90% of it for what is a) fun b) looks like it'd be quite hard. IMO over analysis is what holds lots of people back these days (should have put that in my first lot)

I'm going to add:

If you aren't doing BW box squats to a porcelain box at least 3 times a day you are not bulking. You say you are but you aren't.

20. seiken steve

"Don't train harder, train smarter" is a stupid mantra and people use it to be wet tissues about their training.