The First Commandment

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by SabishiiObake, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

Haha! Merry Xmas! :D

2. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

There is, it's complex, I don't want to get into it here.

3 entities form one god. Plus don't leave out the idol worship part of it. The praying to saints and their statues leaves one wondering.

How do you fullfill a religion?

Well, a number of them, all related to having an active Temple, are suspended. A number can only be observed if one is living in Israel. The others are observed as much as practical to do so. For example, a man is commanded to give a get (bill of divorce) to his wife if they divorce. In that case, it's observed. No one id going to divorce simply to observe that commandement. So all 613 are observed in as much as it is physucally possible to do so.

3. Joe_GA

Joe_GA New Member

I hold any religion that believes that the divine substance is one as monotheistic. But this means that the more philosophical forms of hinduism and buddhism as well are monotheistic. What does it mean to believe that God is one? Does that mean that God is one person? one entity? Is God an entity at all? If God is one entity, then isn't God limited in some sense? But if God is the transcendental ground of all entitites, then God is one yet God isn't one thing or one person. If that is the case, then there is room for belief in the tripersonal nature of God as held by Christians or in the idea that there are multiple epiphanies of God under various "gods" as in hinduism. The bottom line, I think, is that there is one Absolute. How that Absolute is manifested differs among religions. But the question of whether a religion is monotheistic or polytheistic has more to do with whether they believe that there is one underlying divine reality than anything else. The only truly polytheistic religions are those that still hold that the only divine realities are finite gods within a universe, such as pagan religion typically holds.

4. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Well if your a christian than its as simple as god is an invisable man who lives in the sky.

5. SabishiiObake

SabishiiObake New Member

Definately seems like it! :cry:

6. Joe_GA

Joe_GA New Member

Well, the historical and traditional understanding of God as infinite Spirit beyond all being contradicts the notion that there is an invisible man in the sky. I wouldn't be surprised if some Christians believed that God was a being sitting up there in the universe somewhere. But such a view would not be considered mainstream orthodox Christianity.

7. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Well thats actually rather refreshing, so then most christians have it wrong>?

8. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Actually, sorry, TG, but YOU have it wrong about Christians ;)

No Christian that I know of believes that God is an invisible man up in the sky. I know some Mormons believe God is an invisible man on another planet, and Moonies believe that God did a stint in jail for tax evasion, but mainstream Christians believe that God transcends time and space because He created both. He fills all creation, and is everywhere present. We cannot see all of Him in his totality (because we are finite, and He is infinite), but He chooses to reveal bits and pieces of Himself to us as we are able (and willing) to receive it.

9. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

wow Capt Ann, your high school days must have been good to you......

10. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

mormons believe god is a different planet? come on now, i make fun of inbred polygamy alot, but that is something you made up.

11. Joe_GA

Joe_GA New Member

CaptAnn is right. Mormon theology posits the father as a finite being who lives on a planet in another part of the universe. Mormon theology is a rather interesting blend of polytheistic paganism, freemasonry, and Christianity.

12. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

Cool, well hook me up with a saucer if anyone finds out more info.

13. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

That's not the way the trinity goes. Like I said, it confuses everyone. As for the praying to saints and having statutes, well, there's an issue there. It's been discussed on MAP before actually, here. Are you aware that Christianity is not monolithic? I know of only two groups within Christianity that endorse prayers to saints: Roman Catholic, and Eastern Orthodox. Maybe there are a couple more, but no Baptist group, and no Protestant group, endorses it.

By fulfilling the prophesies. Here we're speaking of so-called "Old Testament" prophesies. The prophet Daniel predicted the very day that the Messiah would appear as king in Jerusalem and predicted both his death and resurrection. Isaiah also predicted his death and resurrection. Micah foretold the place of birth. Another prophet (I'm forgetting which one) foretold the region where the Messiah would perform miracles and carry out a public ministry. Etc. I recognize that a lot of Jews in the days of Jesus did not accept these fulfillments. My point was that the people who did believe that Jesus was the Messiah promoted Christianity as the fulfillment of Judaism, not as an altogether new religion. They believed that Jesus was none other than Yahweh, the God of Moses (see the first chapter of John's gospel).

Can you give some examples? I can think of the pilgrimage feasts, maybe, but that's all.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  14. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

Like in Star Trek V?

15. Joe_GA

Joe_GA New Member

I have heard that the old battlestar galactica series is Mormon inspired. But I don't know too much beyond that.

16. slc

slc Banned Banned

It gives you freedom, study that.

17. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

Problem with that is in the translations. Jews believe that the Messiah is a man from the line of David. Jesus did not fullfill any of the requirements for Messiah. The oft quoted Isaiah is usually taken out of context. He uses a lot of father/son metaphors to relate to the relationship between Israel and G-d

All of the rules of the Jubilee. All of the rules regarding agriculture and the gleaning of the fields.

18. aikiMac

To say that Jesus did not fulfill any of the requirements, is categorically false. He was born where the Messiah would be born, both human parents were from the line of David as required, he ministered in the region the Messiah would minister in, etc. Maybe some people incorrectly imposes a non-messianic interpretation on Isaiah 53-54 because it sounds too much like Jesus, eh? ;) I can't see how a person can objectively insist that a messianic interpretation is untenable.

Good point on the Jubilee. (I should have thought of that on my own.) The agriculture and cleaning rules I would think apply everywhere, though. Hmm. Why do you think they apply only within Israel?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  19. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

There is no particular time for the Messiah to be born. There is nothing about ministering. Eithr Jesus is the son of Joseph, or not. The only way Jesus could be of the line of David is through Joseph. Any Xtian messianic interpretation of Isaiah is taken out of context. Isaiah in general is a rant obout Israel not following the Commandments and how they need to return to them. Oh and BTW, the Messiah will bring about world peace. Still waiting on that one.

Because they do. After the Second Exile, Sages of the time had to rule on the Mitzvot. The Temple ones were easy, do was the jubilee, they also suspended agriculture, polygamy, Levirate marriages.

20. aikiMac

You are right about the birth, but there is/was a particular time for the Messiah to both appear in Jerusalem, and to die. Daniel 9:20-end (in particular, verse 25) pegs the day of the Messiah's arrival in Jerusalem at Nisan 10, on the Jewish calendar, in the year 32 CE. That happened to be a Sunday. Yes, this is an exact day. The gospels record Jesus entering Jerusalem on the Sunday before Passover, hailed by a huge crowd as their king. That was the first time that Jesus allowed people to publicly proclaim him king of the Jews. At all times before that day he told people to be quiet because "it's not yet my time."

Isaiah 9:1-7 (in particular, verse 1) states the very region where Jesus walked during his three-year ministry.

As a legal matter, under the Torah's adoption laws, Jesus was indeed the son of Joseph, who was a descendent of King David. Biologically, Jesus was the son of Mary, who was also a descendent of King David. Thus, either way you measure it, Jesus descended from King David.

Agreed. But in between all those rants, Isaiah spoke heavily about the "Day of the Lord" and about activities of the Messiah. Actually, I have a hard time finding particular points of doctrine that Isaiah did not touch on. He covered a lot of ground with all those rants. (His ministry spanned what, the reign of five kings? Four kings?)

We all are. Consider the seven Feasts of the Lord in order.

Passover -- deliverance from bondage, vicarious sacrifice of an innocent and unblemished lamb. Oh, and no broken bones. On the 10th of Nisan the lamb was set aside for four days of examination. On the 10th of Nisan Jesus entered Jerusalem hailed as king (per Daniel's prediction) and spent four days at the Temple, publicly preaching; that is, he was being examined. Jesus then died on Passover at the very time of day when all Jewish families were killing their lambs. It is a pilgrimage feast --> the whole of Israel was there when Jesus died.

Unleavened Bread -- the removal of sin, represented by leaven. Jesus was buried at the start of this holiday. The stated purpose of his death as the "lamb of God" was to take away the sins of the world.

Firstfruits -- the celebration of new life. Jesus rose from the grave on this day. Totally, that's new life.

Pentecost/Omer -- Two loaves of bread, oddly containing yeast, are offered to God, representing a joining together. It is another celebration of new life (the harvest). This is the day that the Spirit of God descended upon the followers of Jesus and joined Jew and Gentile into a single church body, and united people with God into a fellowship. This day is the birthday of the Christian church. It is also a pilgrimage feast --> the whole of Israel witnessed the Spirit of God moving among the people.

In short, the most important events regarding Jesus corresponded to the exact image portrayed by the Spring Feasts of the Lord -- to the day. To the exact day.

Enter now the three Autumn feasts. If the first four are accurate, shall we not expect the next three to be accurate?

Feast of Trumpets -- Jewish scholars say it describes the coming of the Messiah. Numerous prophets speak of trumpets sounding when the Messiah comes. The New Testament continues those same prophesies, and relates it to the "rapture" of the Christian church. In a word, Jesus will return as a conquering warrior. There's no two ways about it. Jewish scholars associate this holiday with the start of the "Day of the Lord" because of the dark sky (this is the only holiday that falls on a dark sky), and Christians would agree that the rapture corresponds to the beginning of the "Day of the Lord."

Day of Atonement -- Jewish scholars also associate it with the dreaded "Day of the Lord." Fasting, approaching God for the atonement of sins, repentant and humble heart, backslidden people returning to the Lord as so many prophets taught, etc. Isn't it telling that this celebration comes after the arrival of the Messiah? Why repent after his return if he has rescued you? Shouldn't you instead be celebrating in the joy of his presence?

Feast of Tabernacles -- celebrates living in the presence of God, and celebrates the provisions and care that God bestowed upon his people. It is the final pilgrimage holiday, and it's interesting that this comes after the Day of the Lord, which comes after the Messiah's return. And it's interesting that this is the only one of the seven Feasts of the Lord that will be celebrated after the Messiah returns (see the end of Zechariah).

The first four Feasts corresponded exactly, both in time and in events, to the works of the guy people say is the Messiah. I would be very, very worried that the next three Feasts will also correspond, in events, to the works of the Messiah.

How so? I am interested in this, and I see no reason why these laws wouldn't apply outside Israel.