The Fine Self defence line

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by TheCount, Feb 11, 2008.

1. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I know there is a sticky about the generic implications of fights and the law etc but this is a much more specific topic which I think requires its own thread.

Basically I live with 3 very detestable flatmates who regularly make threats about various things ranging from ramming sweetcorn into my toothpaste, defacing/vandalising my room, piling rubbish into my room and getting hid in the face with a cheese grater.

To put it into perspective I could seriously seriously damage any of these individuals - however there is the law factor. If I find them doing anything in my room and toss them out they can call the police and claim assault of any shape or form they want etc. which unfortunately is a serious concern.

So, bearing in mind that moving out is Not an option, what can I do in terms of defending myself in this sort of environment. How far can I meet violence and aggression with similar violence and aggression?
    What are my other options?
    I ask because if I ever one of their threats is carried out - I want to know how it can be dealt with.
    I am in the UK

Cheers

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Here's what I would do:

Step 1: Try to make friends with them, or at least get along.
    Step 2: Try to remain friends with them, or at least get along for as long as possible.
    Step 3: Repeat steps 1 and 2 as necessary, or till you move out.

3. TheCount

Been there, done that, it lasts for a couple of days and then it all kicks off again.

4. Yohan

Then try step 3.

Don't get into a fight with people who have access to you while you are sleeping.

5. Yohan

ESPECIALLY if the three of them are teaming up against you.

Can you move?

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Most shared house contracts are breakable if you provide a month's notice and fork out to advertise the room to let. Sounds like your best bet.

7. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

agreed - advertise for a replacement, then tell the landlord you are moving out, but have found a replacement.

In the meantime, laugh when they threaten you as if they made a joke, try to get along as best as possible, and as above, never start a fight with someone who can have access to you when you are asleep

8. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

You could do them in and hide the bodies!!!

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Then you get to move out, leaving dead fish under the floorboards and laxative in the sugar bowl.

10. Yohan

Yes.

YES!!!

The ULTIMATE REVENGE!! Fish smell and runny poo.

11. TheCount

On a serious note I am already looking for a potential place to stay and I don't think retaliating when I leave will reflect particularly well on my religions viewpoint.

Otherwise, yes, I am going to leg it. Ideally I want to disappear one day into the blue yonder never to be seen again and just txt saying "This is your new flatmate guys, enjoy"

12. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Get a decent door lock fitted to keep the gits hands off you & your stuff.

13. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Yeh try and find some meat head nutt job ex con to replace you ;)

14. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Yeah get Yohan to move in :D

Seriously though,get out of there as quickly as you can! Get a lock on your room,quickly!!!

15. TheCount

Oddly enough... I was thinking about the loudest most violent drunk I could find...

However I would settle for a nice person to keep them happy :)

16. Yohan

*grins devilishly*

17. SnorriSturluson

SnorriSturluson Valued Member

The best piece of advice so far.

I had a problem like that with my two vicious roommates. However, I eventually got paroled.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  18. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

well if they ARE threatening you, i'de say tape them and bring the tape to the police? in any case, as has been said, fighting isn't the most effective way out this time.

but if worst gets to worst, just don't damage them too much, and sue them first i'd say.

19. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

You are in a bit of a pickle arent ya?

I think the best advice has been given out, basicaly moving out and getting Yohan to move in :D
    I know it may seem to moving out means you weasled out..but when the numbers are against you its the smart choice.

I work for the Police and the best advice I can give you, is that if you think youre life is in immediate danger. (ie theyre bashing down the door with weapons)
    Dial 999.

Taking it into your own hands never a good idea, because itll end badly for both parties. And pleading self defence is never as easy as it sounds.

20. Lily

Lily Valued Member

TheCount - sorry to hear about the situation, hope you stay safe and go forward with your life. Those losers are going nowhere fast.

I'd probably just invite all my MA friends at once and beat them, make them tell me where their families live and beat them soundly too. Probably not a good idea though.