the eye gouge

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by mai tai, Dec 25, 2005.

1. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

"Drain you of your sanity, face the thread that should not be..."

- Metallica

2. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

OK slip, I guess you're right.

3. Topher

Topher allo!

I agree.

Generally, MMA is better that common TMA (i.e. TKD, Karate) in terms of alive/realistic training. The problem with Wing Chun or a lot of self defence based training (i.e. no 'pyjamas', formal bowing, regimented classes..) is it doesn’t fit into either category. It’s based on street level defence, which MMA or most TMA dont focus on. MMA generally focuses on sport, hence there are some missing elements, and a lot of TMA’s teach you nothing self defence related.

Wing Chun being labelled a TMA also gets labelled to the tripe that come with it.

As for what is popular. I know Wing Chun has a massive following in the UK. Judo seems quite popular. Shotokan Karate possibly too.

4. Topher

Topher allo!

It seems there are few buisness type schools that are common in the states. It really just seems to be a guy running a small school. At least most of what i'm come across.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  5. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

If anyone thinks MMA people or RBSD people are afraid of sticking there fingers in a persons eyes then there wrong.

In defence of myself I have bitten someone, pulled hair etc but this is only when my normal game plan has gone south either due to too much beer or other events beyond my control.

They were never fight enders but people are willing to do it and it can be done without any real training.

Eye strikes, bites, hair pulling, groin shots - it all sounds like an anti rape womens dodgy self defence class and I dont want to feel someones groin (Unless my life depends on it - most fights dont!) - feeling some other dudes tackle is bad for my tough guy image (joke!)

6. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

thats why i only fight with a ref..... :)

really
    i have no interest in self defence
    ...im too old for street fights
    too mature to fight over a chick
    and im a happy drunk

i will walk away from any fight....i have no pride in it (a few trips to county lockup...and a few thousand in legal fees will do that)

and for the rare, rare ,rare unavoidable.....well i have a gun for that

7. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Tell you what about 4 posts of mine have gone missing - Mods got any idea why?????????

8. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

:confused:

I miss this thread ;)

Got me through many long dull days at work! :D