the eye gouge

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by mai tai, Dec 25, 2005.

1. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

from many people on this forum and a lot of reputable martial artist who i have trained with and under...i hear alot of reference to techniques that are barred by commpetion....but are great in the street.

becouse they are not done in training they gain a kind of unwarrented and mythical status

as a service to the site and a ma community i am going to debunk them

first one up the eye gouge.

will it hurt, yes....will it stop someone....like most things maybe....depends on a persons pain tolerence...a school bully probably.... a real hard guy no

will it blind you probably not but i could.....

from a medical perpective the eye is more resiliat than you think. when i was in med school during the trama rotation we had a guy who was hit so hard in the eye that the floor to his skull broke....from the pressure of the eye (going up)...but his eye was fine.

also the eye is fairly well protected...it is a small target...the forehead and check and nose stick out and protect it....pluss since its an eye it sees things comming directly at it and reflexivly turns.

second... it you sqeeze it shut its hard to get at ....try it

also look around...do you think you are the first person to think of this...if it was that fragil alot of fight would end that way...and there would be a lot of blind people.

now practically

i once saw a mma freind of mine....260 lbs steroid junkie...get in a fight with the guy....he quickly ended up in mount and nailed him about five times....he started to get up..when the guy reached up and eye gouged him

result he screamed like a girl pulled is head back and squinced up his eye.at the same time he grabbed the guys arm shoved it across his body..(easy to do since the arms was extended for the gurge

he then when pyscoboy and beat the guys face until even his mother couldnt recognise him.

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I'd use a gouge in a heartbeat on the street. Remember there are no rules when it comes to streetfighting.

3. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer Valued Member

i would use it. as far as im conserned if anyone tries to fight me im gonna look at it as i better do whatever i can to take this person out or he will take me out, so eyes, groin, throat, anything goes. if there is a metal bar you can grab and use, do it. if you can throw mud or sand or beer in his eyes, do it. i always look at it as this guy is trying to kill me, odds are he isnt, but thats how i would look at it. i remember once i was at a party and my friend was talking a bunch of smack about me and my family, and we are all drunk of course, and he really ****ed me off so i threw my glass of jag/red bull at him, getting it in his eyes and he said it stung like a bitch. at that point he was shaken and i could have pretty much done anything for a few seconds. i didnt though cuz he was my friend, and he apologized and knew he was wrong, and we are still close. people might say, thats girls stuff to throw a drink in someones face, but it works. ok that whent way long

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Thanks for that reminder there Kwaj.
    I've always been afraid of getting into a street scrap and not hearing the bell! :p

5. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

I wear a ref shirt just in case Im needed.

6. slipthejab

*slipthejab wipes the sweat of relief from his brow. :p

7. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Now where is that darn eye ???

:p

8. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Ahhh yes, the invincible eye lid! Once that shield is firmly closed all efforts to attack the eye should be abondoned.

9. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

a) Listen to the medical degree guy

b) For striking: Try to hit a dot on someones head with your finger next time your sparring, its not exactly the easiest thing in the world to do

c) For Grappling: I've had someone ram a finger in my eye before, it's very very hard to do if you screw your eyes shut, in fact the move had pretty much no affect on me seeing as I didn't actually need to see at the time anyway and it just gave me an arm to work with. If it comes down to arm strength versus screwed shut eye, I'm betting on eye every time. If you manage to get your bodyeight ehind it thn, yeah maybe you can pull it off but to do that you need to be in a dominant positioon and to get there you need to be a better grappler anyway so why do you need the eye gouge?

10. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

*sigh*

a whole thread on this? Again?

Look, the answer is quite simple, people...

eye gouges, groin strikes, pressure points such as the jaw, etc... they're all good moves to have in the repertoir, but like any move, should not be the only one you rely on.

Can we close this and move on now?

11. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Actually on subjects like this I would rather rely on my own experience or that of experienced street fighters who have used the tactic. As a relatively small guy who's been in his share of fights against mostly larger opponants I've learnt to do what ever is necesary in a fight including going after the eyes and it's always worked in my favor.

a good striker can be pretty acurate and there are ways to set up your oponant to strike the eyes, obviously you wouldn't stand at long range and try to poke the eye like a boxing jab.

For grappling nobody is going to poke your eye, they're going to grab your face and dig in. Your eye lid will offer little protection.

Whether your on the ground or standing if you attack the eyes of your opponant then he's going to react to it. whether he closes his eyes, turns his head,stops comming at you, backs up, reaches up to his face to try and grab your arm or some combo of the above. Look for his reaction and take advantage of it. Don't think of eye gouging as a fight ender, think of it as a way to gain the advantage that will often lead you to a chance to end the fight.

Now I'm not saying that eye gouges never fail or that an eye gouger is invincible. I'm saying that anyone who thinks they can debunk the effectiveness of an eye gouge based on the above reasoning is in need of a serious reality check.

12. brahman

brahman Banned Banned

havent read the post, just the first. yuo say nobobdy practices them. why dont you get some safety goggles and spar with a friend. only use fingers to strike at the eyes.

13. slipthejab

Because everyone beat this dead horse endlessly... let's liven it up a bit with some eye candy. :D

All of them germain to the topic of course.

Attached Files:

14. slipthejab

Next time you think you're t3h D34d733 - put your Speedo's on and hop on in...:D

Attached Files:

15. slipthejab

And then there's always this one....

Attached Files:

16. slipthejab

all those in the angyr white pajama's and t3h D34d733 silk Kung Fu trousers that think you have the corner on eye gouges... wake up... you're not even close you have been PWNED! by footy, rugby and basketball! :D

Attached Files:

17. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

+1.

-Ryan.

PS: Who said anything about eye STRIKES? Face-flesh ripping techniques work better. With the added bonus of getting an eye or a nose in your grip, hello serious damage.

18. slipthejab

LOL!:D

Here we go.... t3H d34d733!

19. Evil Betty

Evil Betty Birdy, birdy birdy

You and I seem to always be on the same thought pattern with these types of threads. :D Maybe someone should make a stickied FAQ about this crap.

Someone please lock this thread!

20. slipthejab

hmmm...

Slip senses a holiday romance blossoming. :p