the exquisite art of washing the judogi

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Gripfighter, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

my gi is shrinking every time its washed I am now on my second, I always wash it on the coldest wash as you are supposed to but it continues to shrink any advice ??

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  2. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

I wash cold water and drip dry. Running it through the drier always causes shrinkage for me with a Judo gi.

3. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

yep drip dry always

4. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

Dryer casuses shrinkage more so than washing machines. Maybe put it on air dry for a 30 minute cycle, then clothes line....or just clothes line. Hanging it up outside (if you live outside of "the city" near some flora/foliage makes dogi smell really nice anyway).

5. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I said I don't use the dryer :p

6. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

buy a pre-shrunk gi?

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Become the incedible shrinking man. Problem solved!

Buy a really big gi and wash it first.

8. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

yeah but it was to big for me then it shrunk to size but they don't stop shrinking every-time there washed.

9. Moi

Is this the jacket, pants or both?

10. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

the first one was both the new one it seems to be the jacket more than the pants

11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I wash mine on a cold wash (30 degrees C) and drip dry them. Most gi will shrink for the first few washes, but eventually they stop. Some of the top manufacturers produce charts to show how much things shrink and what size you should buy to allow for shrinkage.

12. Moi

Are you buying these through the club?

13. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

the first one was it was a Blitz it shrunk till it was to small the new one was bought outside the club its the adidas gi I much prefer it but its still shrinking every time its washed

14. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

Interesting.

I've got a Tiger Claw Hayashi and a no-name brand judo gi, and like I said, only shrinks in dryer. I tend to buy gi's bigger with the intention that they can be shrunk down to size.

15. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

you but surely you intend for them to stop shrinking eventually

16. I have blitz gi, which also shrank alot after washing. A lot more after running through a tumble dryer.

I've not had the same problem with other makes. However I wash on 40 degrees, spin and then hang to dry (I think that's what you guys mean when you say drip dry isn't it?).

17. Moi

My son had a Blitz one but we couldn't tell if it was shrinking or he was growing

18. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

My first judogi was an Adidas - it was lovely but shrank horribly (apparently they're known for shrinking lots).

19. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

I hate the size variance and shrinkage variance between dogi brands...its makes trying new companies stressful. Luckily my teacher ordered a couple sized of a nice Tozando dogi and said he'd just stock the one's that didn't fit best.

20. Moi

Are you sure you weren't growing :)