The effectiveness of biting in self defense

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Isaiah90, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Biting, grabbing, use of weapons. All in the bedroom ?
    Something shady here.

bassai, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Which is easy to say, far harder to actually do. Have you ever been in a violent encounter? If so, your experience may vary, I can't speak for everyone, but when I was I well and truly pooped myself and forgot everything. And I was an at least mildly experienced full contact fighter.

Most of your anecdotes seem to imply minimal contact is normal for your training. If you/your students aren't even used to punching/being punched, then there is no way in hell any of you are lethally responding to an attack.

Its all theory. And when you're giving that information to other people and filling them with false confidence, its dangerous and the height of negligence to pretend its anything other than theoretical fantasy.

Dead_pool likes this.
  3. Isaiah90

Isaiah90 Member

Yes, i been in several violent encounters. Minimal contact is not normal for my training. When i sparred no contact, it was outside of self defense training. I did it to show off my skills with friends. In actual training, i'd spar full-contact with full contact sparring gear and the scenarios will be very intense.

4. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

You speak for me too. And I was fairly well trained in Muay Thai when I was attacked.

Surprise, shock and adrenal stress change everything.

Southpaw535 and Dead_pool like this.
  5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Any proof of that? Video is acceptable as proof.

All your quora answers seems to show the opposite is true.

6. Southpaw535

Awesome! Sorry for getting the wrong end of the stick with regards to contact levels in that case.

That does bring me back to my other question though, which is how do you deal with giving your students the confidence and ability to actually use what you're showing them? How do you prepare them for the realities of an unexpected violent confrontation and tackle the issues of freezing and panicking that are so common and frequent, even among trained individuals? If you're telling people you're teaching them to protect themselves and instilling them with that confidence, how do you guarantee that they will actually be able to do it if they need to?

7. Dead_pool

The safety word is Alabama...

8. Southpaw535

That's what I'm most curious to see how people tackle. Even something like JWT''s sim days, which I hold in very high regard and as the best I can think of, you still go into them knowing you're there to deal with violence. Going from Yay its Friday, suns out, headphones in, thinking "hmmm what do I have in the freezer for din- what the hell dude ow ow ow??!!"

Is something I'm genuinely curious to see how instructors can prep people for with any degree of reliability. Especially someone who admits having no martial arts credentials

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  9. Isaiah90

Isaiah90 Member

I have what's called a stress inoculation part of the training. It's basically the process of inducing stress so that students can better perform under it. This is where most martial arts schools fail. They think full contact sparring is enough for combat. Nothing could be further from the truth. When you're stressed to a certain point, you forget techniques requiring fine motor skills and replace them with gross motor skills. That's why flashy techniques fail on the street. Sportsmanship is also a huge obstacle to self defense. It's good to be friendly and bow out of respect, but that's not the environment students will encounter on the streets. Things completely change when one person or several are trying to hurt or kill you. It's not going to be a "fight" as most schools teach.

To fix it, i'm hard on my students. That is, i expose them to the things they're scared of in the streets via. getting ambushed by one or multiple people, getting stabbed/slashed with a knife, etc. I also teach them coping mechanisms to deal with the stress under pressure.

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah but..... you really can't fight. You have no techniques to teach. You have no basis on qwhich to form an accurate opinion because you have never once sparred or fought with any real intention. It comes out in the way you move.
    Please stop teaching people fake stuff. You're going to get someone killed.

Thomas, Nachi, bassai and 3 others like this.
  11. Southpaw535

That's all cool, but, aside from Pretty in Pink's point which I can't help but agree with,

You also run your blog and that seems to be your main self defence teaching method, by your own content and own admission on Quora. So how is any of that above being done through a blog, over the internet?

12. Southpaw535

Also, "you forget techniques requiring fine motor skill"

But you're definitely going to do something like biting someone in the neck.

And another also, everything you've explained isn't wrong per se, but seems to all assume lethal force. The vast majority of violent encounters aren't lethal in nature. Even random jumpings are usually just about giving someone a beating for 'the bantz' or a mugging or whatever else have you. What nuance do you teach with regards to proportionately of self defence? You can't respond to a drunk squaring up to you by biting his neck or by breaking his legs, not unless that's worth jail time and a criminal record over, which it isn't.

In the vast majority of violent situations the average person faces, humans being social creatures with instinctual rules about not killing people in most fights, more fights are actually a lot more like a full contact martial arts fight in the techniques and intent of the attacker than they are like a Krav Maga or Kali fight where everyone wants to kill you. So how do you teach students to deal with social violence, and incidents where they need to defend themselves, but do so legally and not in a life/death situation?

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

He uses his toy klingon sword to slap them.

14. Isaiah90

Isaiah90 Member

I give people full instructions explaining how to train step-by-step and then they train on their own times. If they live in the same area, we meet up in person.

15. Isaiah90

Isaiah90 Member

Biting doesn't require alot of skill. Plus, it's only situational. You only bite if the chance is there. I'd rather just knock the guy out with one punch. I train using techniques from various systems such as Wing Chun, boxing, some BJJ, Medieval sword-fighting, etc. I teach students to be wise in their use of force. You only want to use just enough force to end the threat fast to avoid legal trouble.

16. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

[​IMG]

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  17. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod note: no need to get into personal attacks. I shouldn't need to tell long time MAPpers' that they are against our TOS. Personal attack was edited out.

Thanks

Southpaw535 likes this.
  18. Southpaw535

How does that qualify them? Are you really comfortable telling someone how to do something online and then letting them try to use it against a real person trying to hurt them? Are you willing to take the responsibility if someone does try to do what you've told them and they get hurt because all they know about it is a guide they read online? If I tell you on here, now, how to do a kimura, do you reckon you could do it on someone 100% trying to knock you out?

Because as far as I'm concerned, in that situation, you would be just as to blame for their injuries, including potentially their death, as the person attacking them.

It doesn't require skill, but it is still a skill. People can bite instinctively, but its not by any stretch a normal motor skill in fighting.

And why use those systems? You've established previously you don't rate grappling in self defence and called it useless, so why bjj?

You've criticised sport arts for training for unrealistic scenarios, and their techniques exist and are tailored to be used within the rules and competition systems those arts use. If training in those arts is useless for self defence, why use anything from those styles?

bassai and Dead_pool like this.
  19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Putting your mouth on a person and biting doesn't take much skill.
    Getting your mouth near enough a person to do that, in the chaos of a real go and in a position where they won't bite you back or smash your teeth in for doing it absolutely does.
    Saying biting doesn't take skill is like saying throwing a jab doesn't take skill. It's just sticking your fist out right? Right?

Southpaw535, Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  20. Dead_pool

Where did you do this? At the wing chun school, or the karate school you attended, or somewhere else?

You say the sceneries WILL be very intense, does this mean you haven't done it yet, but will do later on?