The effectiveness of biting in self defense

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Isaiah90, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Isaiah90

Isaiah90 Member

Biting can be an effective form of self defense when done right. Otherwise, you'll lose your teeth or get clobbered. I sparred with my opponent several times and used biting. He came swinging with a bat. I evaded the initial blows, burst in, and trapped his arms to prevent him from attacking. Sometimes, i kneed him in the groin and headbutted him in the face as a distraction before biting him in the neck. If it went full contact, it would've probably severed major arteries and caused death from massive blood loss.

Biting is very effective, but also very dangerous. You could lose your teeth and probably get an infection via. AID's and HIV. It should be used very wisely.

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Are you actually going to respond to this thread, or are you just firing out a comment that you won't back up, can't substantiate in any way and have no intention of actually discussing?

axelb likes this.
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Was this sparring also done in your bedroom again?

If it wasn't full contact, then you didn't bite him, what did you do to simulate biting?

axelb likes this.
  4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Unless you're a vampire or werewolf there's no way you're biting deep enough or for long enough to sever an artery in the neck of a resisting opponent.
    You are vastly exaggerating the effects of a bite.

axelb and aaradia like this.
  5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

okay I'll bite...

You're clearly on a rampage across several forums to make money out of your self made self defense program.

Going to a light contact martial arts school would be more beneficial to anyone; Interacting with real people in an environment with timing, accuracy, technique and social interaction.

I suggest you spend some time with real martial arts coaches, a lot of time, and refrain from output until you have had some valuable input.

I know many people with decades more experience who wouldn't consider themselves as much of a self defence expert as you have professed across the various martial arts forums.

Dead_pool likes this.
  6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Is catching HIV/AIDS actually that big a risk from a bite? There's a thing in my head saying ti was on one of those "10 mistakes movies always make" things that cop shows show HIV people biting others but its actually really hard to transmit that way?

axelb likes this.
  7. axelb

yeah, I'm sure there are some unpleasant things you can catch, but I don't think hiv is one of them.

Along side the eye jab idea in self defence striking, if you can't hit a moving target with a fist, then an eye poke is a step away.
    If you can't close the distance and control the other person in grappling range, then you can't bite.

Both of these common self defense "hacks" are next to useless without basic martial arts skills

Southpaw535 likes this.
  8. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Not a big risk at all, but technically possible.
    Possible transmission of HIV Infection due to human bite

Dead_pool and Southpaw535 like this.
  9. Southpaw535

Today I realised biting is just grappling with your teeth

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  10. Isaiah90

Isaiah90 Member

Humans have around 120-150 pounds of bite force.

11. Isaiah90

Isaiah90 Member

lol you didn't read what i wrote. I controlled the distance between me and my sparring partner when he tried swinging on me with a bat. I trapped his hands after dodging his first blow then pushed him against a wall so he couldn't move. I was able to bite him then.

12. Isaiah90

Isaiah90 Member

No, but it's a risk if you get your enemy's blood in your mouth from say biting the throat.

13. Southpaw535

If you do tests there's fighters who punch with multiple 1000s of pounds of force. On an actual human target that doesn't translate.

For someone who teaches self defence, I'm curious. What's your legal defence to biting someone's neck to the point of filling your mouth with blood?

Also, if you're training people to defend themselves, most people have a natural aversion to punching each other. Its a challenge to get people to commit to throwing a full force punch, even in a fight. How are you getting people over all the psychological barriers to ripping someone's throat out with their teeth?

14. Isaiah90

Isaiah90 Member

Lethal attacks require a lethal response. I don't make my students do anything in my classes. I just give them the tools to defend themselves and they can use whatever they're comfortable with.

15. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I don't buy for a second that you have actual students.

Monkey_Magic and axelb like this.
  16. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

That was an example of someone with HIV biting someone without HIV. If the transmission vector is saliva, and the viral load of the saliva is low, then it's unlikely but not impossible.

However if someone without HIV bites someone with HIV, then the transmission vector would potentially be blood, and the chance of transmission is much higher.

It also be concerned with hepatitis etc too.

axelb likes this.
  17. axelb

I have read many of your posts on the internet, and it is clear that you are very inexperienced in any martial art. If you cannot grapple (compliant drill with a friend in your bedroom doesn't count) then all the other "dirty" moves are pointless.

Yes, I heard of the hepatitis being more of a risk.

Plenty of other options available that are less if a risk.
    I was recently discussing in a real life martial arts class with real life martial arts students about biting and other such "dirty moves";
    There isn't much point to them unless you are in a situation that both you and the opponent are stalemate, and you use it to give you and edge to progress to a better position.
    Using against someone when you aren't in such a position will make it worse for yourself.

Given the videos I've seen I don't imagine there is anything more then a complaint drill with you strolling (not bursting) towards your compliant partner, who was probably taken back that you went to, knee, head butt and bite on a compliant drill.

Given that self defence should focus very much on the initial observation, interview stage and dealing with the sudden change; I would highly recommend you spend time learning how to observe, listen and read social situations.

These skills will set you up better than accosting unsuspecting acquaintances in your room.

Thomas likes this.
  18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

And?
    They also have layers of skin, fat, muscles, sinew and tendons covering their major arteries (to some degree or other).
    And they struggle, squirm and fight back.
    To be honest aside from "in the neck" I don't think you even know where and how deeply located the carotid is.
    You also have the general distaste and reluctance of most humans to bite another.
    Even with a comatose opponent it would take multiple minutes of biting and chewing to get anywhere into the neck to get close to the carotid. Let alone create enough damage to cause death.
    You're talking nonsense.

TLDR?
    You're full of it, recycling existing opinions as if they are your own and don't have a clue what you're on about.

axelb likes this.
  19. axelb

I'm also anticipating that you used similar maneuvers to close the distance on the baseball bat attack as you did in this "gun" defense video:

or maybe some of there grappling techniques?

Based on the above, you definitely need to go to a class to learn some technique to improve, and stop trying to get people to pay money for your material as it comes from someone highly inexperienced.

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Based on the above he needs to (personal attack deleted). :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2019
    Dead_pool likes this.