The "drop cross"?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Einstein Mcfly, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Einstein Mcfly

Einstein Mcfly New Member

Hi folks. One of my new instructors has recently started working with us on what he calls a "drop cross" where rather than just pivot on your rear foot and front foot, you pivot on your rear foot and actually PICK UP your front foot and set it down a few inches to your left, ideally as you land the cross. This is supposedly a longer range version of the cross and the "regular" (as I've learned it anyways) version is a "close cross". Does anyone here are any experience in this punch? It's totally new to me and so of course it feels very awkward and slow. Also, does it really work that much better at longer ranges? Thanks for any input.

2. Graham2006

Graham2006 New Member

If that's a relatively new technique then it seems to have been 'borrowed' from Wado Ryu. Their basic reverse punch (cross equivalent) is thrown like that. As long as the punch doesn't deteriorate into a descending path as its thrown, because of the range it's used at,then it'll score.

Whether any punch works or not comes down to how good the boxer is.

Which is a fancy way of saying: 'I don't know'.

3. cowzerp

cowzerp Valued Member

theres no harm in learning funky techniques but this sounds like it could get you in more trouble than anything-dont write it off but be careful