The Contender

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by funkymonk, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Wasn't Gomez fighting above his usual weight category as well? :confused:

2. Rhizome

Rhizome Super Valued Member

I believe he was but im not going to confirm that.

I dont believe it was fixed, i was routing for sergio all the way anyway.

3. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

im still bumbed that it ended, still no news here of another season, anyone heard of anything??? :cry:

4. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I've not heard anything; i'm pretty sure we would have heard something by now!

Lets keep our fingers crossed though...

5. Rhizome

Rhizome Super Valued Member

Are you guys hoping for another season because if you are its not happening. It got cancelled people have signed a petition but it still looks unlikely that it will happen.

Ohh yeah and Gomez was fighting 2 weight divisions higher.

6. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

I'm not sure when it was taped but last nite on ESPN I saw Peter Manfredo TKO an opponent in his hometown Providence Rhode Island (he is undefeated at home) and Sergio was at ringside at the anouncers booth and said "he'll fight Peter manfredo anywhere even in providence."

They're building up a re-match.

7. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

I miss contender.

8. 2sweet

2sweet Valued Member

From what I can gather the contender series 2 is due to air in the U.S sometime this month.
    Anyone any idea if it is set to be shown in the uk?

9. DaveOHr

DaveOHr New Member

Contender 2

http://sports.espn.go.com/espntv/espnMicrosite?showID=cntd

Contender 2 on ESPN, not NBC. Not sure about the UK. Premieres July 18th.

10. 2sweet

2sweet Valued Member

11. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

'The Contender' was the biggest pile of tripe I've seen in years!

About 75% of the programme was taken up by the contenders all repeating the same tired old cliches one after the other like a set of little parrots :bang: ; another 20% was Stallone talking rubbish while Sugar Ray pretended to take him seriously :bang: ; and the other 5% was actually given over to a tiny bit of boxing - but with the cameras spending half the time on the fighters' families :bang: .

If you like boxing, then there's really no substitute for actually watching boxing!

12. Another Muay Thai Guy

Did any US folks watch it yesterday? What was it like? Don't post any big details as I still have no idea when they're showing it over here, but I was just wandering how it compared to the first series. Cheers. :)

13. 2sweet

2sweet Valued Member

Good news (Fight Fans) first episode Monday 9pm ITV 4!

14. Zentenk

Zentenk Valued Member

I liked it, it was pretty cool. I'm glad they don't show the whole fights because I'm pretty sure a majority of them were boring and sucked pretty bad. It has nothing on TUF though, but its 10000x better than Final Fu.

15. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

It wasn't that bad, of course they still have the exaggerated sounds and still focus on the crowd/families too much..

But it was not to bad.

16. Aussie Bob

Aussie Bob Valued Member

In the opening two hour show, if you take the adds out it goes for about....ummmm.....30 minutes :rolleyes:

Still good viewing though. :)

17. Another Muay Thai Guy

We only got one hour last night. It was okay, could be better though. :)

18. Adsy

Adsy Valued Member

Watched Show 2 of Series Two Last night on ITV4, after Missing the first one last week.

What happened to Stallone?? I enjoyed trying to figure out what he was saying in series 1.

Is it me or has it got even cheesier than the first series, and has the noise of the punches that they put in during the fight got even louder?

Still its quite entertaining, probabaly carry on watching, shame they cant transport all the contestants to Love Island, where they could practice on the so called celebrities

19. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

does anyone really give a crap about the families? i don't. they could have 3 kids with cancer, a wife with 1 leg and TB and i'm still not going to care, people want to see boxing, not sad stories. and the cheap sound effects are very annoying. overall its crap. but it'll keep your average person occupied, so i guess that was the point

20. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

I'm still very disappointed with this show. Sure it improved some by removing the physical challenge portion where the winner gets to arrange the match. First two fights of season 2 looked OK, but the 3rd really looks rigged.

Why can't they show the whole fight? 1 round = three minutes with 5 you get fifteen plus 4 minutes for the time between rounds. That's the whole fight. Heck they can show the sob stories and get a lot more episodes. I'm starting to think that they edit the fights on purpose so that you can't see if a boxer is taking a fall.

The Contender rematch sucks. The Bonsante-Mora match result was so wrong! It's obvious that Bonsante got in more hits than Mora and Mora looked the more beat up.