The Contender Muay Thai

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Su lin, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

I dont think it was a conscious decision :)

I think he was badly rocked by the 1st knock down, and couldnt shake it off.

Yodsaenklai is a superb fighter, cant wait to see him in the final.

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Two men went to war

3. Sgt_Major

That was an awesome fight. I couldnt call it even after it finished.

Jabba threw JWP down several times, but JWP knocked Jabba down too.

2 excellent fighters, and a great fight.

4. OldNick

OldNick Valued Member

I don't know.... I gave the first round to JWP, the next 2 to Dzhabar, the fourth to JWP, but it seemed to me Dzhabar had the upper hand in the fifth.
    Glad JWP got the decision though... He makes a really good ambassador for the sport: v. articulate, nice guy, and remained modest through the series.

5. IanK

IanK Valued Member

I think JWP won it tbh....not that I am an expert of any means of course.....
    just seemed to me that he was the agressor a little more than the other guy, commanded the centre of the ring more, Dzhabar was running round the ring away from JWP at one point for a good few seconds.......

Not sure if my judgement was clouded a little as I knew who won the fight beforehand.

Roll on the final, and please.....MORE CLINCH ! ! !

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It's been more like K1 or even kickboxing for a while know. Very few elbows, knees or clinchwork.

7. IanK

IanK Valued Member

Do you not think that they aren't really doing killer knees and elbows as they're fighting their friends at the end of tha day? I dont think I'd be ok with elbowing my mate in the face tbh.....fair play to them I spose

8. Webdunk

Webdunk Muay Thai Diary

I've given up trying to apply thai scoring criteria to the Contender fights now as they simply cut too much out of the fights for an informed opinion to be made. Still good entertainment tho.

9. OldNick

OldNick Valued Member

10. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

Great tournament overall. Yod deserved his win and JWP was a worthy opponent. Great entertainment and shows that Muay Thai deserves a wider audience if presented properly. bring on season 2!!!!

11. mike21

mike21 New Member

i have to say this show has inspired me in many ways...

took up muay thai 2 weeks ago and its definatly something im glad i've took up...one thing the commentator said was "one thing that seperates muay thai from any other sport is the respect they give each other" which is what i love about it...i assume this goes for most martial arts but it was never shown in tae kwon do when i used to do it years ago maybe it was because i was too young to understand i dont know.

after watching it from the beginning and seeing friendships formed then to have to fight each other and still have the same respect regardless the outcome is just amazing. Im glad we got to see what zach is capable of too it was ashame he had to quit in the 2nd round due to his shoulder.

Will definatly be locked in for season 2. Apologies for the long reply also lol

12. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

Good final show, the fight where pretty good though I wish JWP won the fight. I do hope they make a second series.

I was looking up JWP on wikipedia and it said he faught Steven Wakeling and once I checked the dates I realised I've actually seen JWP in person which was pretty cool. He lost the fight but I think it was because he didn't get his rhythm until the 3rd round so could have won the fight.

13. Sgt_Major

Great finals....

The undercard fights were a bit of a surprise though...

Zak Vs Zidov:

This looked like an adult vs a child. Zidov had NO presence in the ring, he got beat round the ring buy zak the whole time and really didnt look himself. Good to see zak fighting well after his surgery.

Jabba Vs Rafik:

Really glad Jabba won, pity he didnt KO rafik though.

JWP vs Joda

JWP is a worthy fighter, has good stamina, great resolve and good skills. He was definitely out classed technically by yoda, but it was still sad to see him lose after everything he's been going through lately.

BTW: When was this filmed?

14. OldNick

OldNick Valued Member

It was fillmed in september and October 2007, though I believe the final must have taken place later.

15. Belfsst Samurai

Belfsst Samurai Valued Member

Really enjoyed The Contender and thought the best man won, although credit to JWP for putting on a good performance and not backing down. In my opinion Yodsaenklai never looked in danger and looked very strong, even when under some good pressure by JWP.
    He looks technically excellent.

The only complaint about the series was the naff music (dramatising) during the fights. Thankfully they didn't have it in during the final.

Soe great quotes by the commentator made me laugh out loud:

- He's took more shots than an alcoholic.

- There's more punch there than in a prom

Anther one involved the canvas but can't remember it exactly.

16. MartialKid

MartialKid Valued Member

anyone know where i can watch this? on you tube it's just the fights but i wanna see the whole of it..

Thanks