The Coffee Thread - all things coffee

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by slipthejab, Dec 17, 2014.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Been a while since I was on MAP in any regular way... so it's time to rekindle the warm fuzzy feelings I used to engender in these parts. Let it be known this thread is for posting all things coffee. :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

So now that intro's are done... let's get into it. Here's an interesting bit that I've just come across showing the caffeine and cortisol relationship for coffee drinkers:

Sources: Neuroscience DC, Fast Company

http://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-when-you-should-be-drinking-your-coffee-according-to-science

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I love my coffee.

My local indoor market has a coffee bar run by an independent tea & coffee merchants, and it's the only place on Earth that does my coffee just right. For the record, it's a large mocha using Java Ijen beans, with plenty of milk, chocolate sauce and whipped cream on top. I go there so often that other customers know to keep my favourite seats vacant (or else!) :D

4. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Well since my circadian clock is not set to a 9-5 schedule the times for me will be different then posted. I work evenings and drop off to sleep in the wee hours of morning. But, reading your post logically, I should delay may consumption of coffee for an hour or so after waking. I wake and immediately start a fresh pot of that wonderful ambrosia! :Angel:

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Mmmm ... Latte ! I hadn't had one for a long time, but got two last week, and wow, so good! :heart:

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

7. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Drinking coffee right now. Bottom's up gentlemen!

8. Bruised Lee

Bruised Lee Valued Member

Can't get through the day without a cuppa

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

loves me a good cup. or many.

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

my friend wants to open an independent coffee shop and has me try all the awesome flavours he makes at work.

he's not a fan of starbucks as he thinks they over-roast till they taste burnt.

How does everyone like their coffee?
    black? lots of milk? excess sugar? with cream? coconut oil?

11. Giovanni

starbucks was great because the chain made people interested in coffee. but at the end of the day, one can do a lot better.

i'm lucky, in chicago there are tons of micro-breweries. it's really amazing to get a french press, pour-over, espresso made by really freshly roasted beans. sure the coffee is much more expensive than you can buy at starbucks or at a market. but it's well worth it. and i feel like i'm supporting local businesses when i do so.

12. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

nm.

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

That was a public information broadcast by the "I Have a Stupid Theory About Food Party".

Also, what has being able to do the splits got to do with it?

Simon

At least 7-10 cups of tea or coffee per day and still able to do the splits, proving caffeine makes you flexible*.

*Can't argue with science. :D

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I must have coffee for blood then.

15. Kave

Kave Lunatic

I miss coffee, I used to live on coffee but I developed an intolerance and now my heart-rate goes berserk if I drink it. I had to give up cigarettes at the same time, but of the two I miss coffee the most. I can't bring myself to drink decaf, it just seems wrong (like non-alcoholic beer).

My advice is coffee is good, but multiple coffees and energy drinks on a daily basis is probably overdoing it.

16. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Why on earth is it called latte? That actually means milk.

17. Giovanni

dude, i'm into many coffees per day. i love it. the worst place in the world for me (or the best place depending on your view) is rome. "oh another espresso bar, well why don't i just belly up". then a block later, repeat.

18. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Fresh, wet and strong. That's all that matters to me. I'll drink anything as long as there's caffeine in it and comes under the term "coffee".

Can't drink milk these days...I use almond milk. It's just not the same.

19. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Simon, my point that I was going to make is this. Coffee is not a healthy drink and it provides little to any benefit to us or our health. It's an acidic drink that was discovered accidentally many years ago and probably leads to more sickness then any other drink you consume, unless you're drinking a lot of soft drinks. Why do I say this. We are alkaline beings. Coffee isn't. So, no matter whether you sweeten it or dilute it with milk, it's one of the most unhealthy drinks a practicing martial artist can consume.

20. Pearlmks

Pearlmks Valued Member

Love coffee!!! I'm lucky I live in a country with lots of the good stuff.

I drink it black, no sugar. Coffee and energy drinks don't seem to do anything to me. I can drink red bulls and immediately fall asleep and I regularly drink coffee before going to sleep. Maybe it's because I started drinking coffee young, around 6 or 7 years old. Or maybe I'm just too lazy.