The Bunkai Thread

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Llamageddon, Oct 21, 2008.

1. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

i liked it, you guys look at strike defence allot, my club usually look for, grad then fit, so the other guy comes in grabs then WHACK!! if i had sone desent quality footage it show you, but my club has only just restarted teaching Bunkai.

but nice bunkai all the same.

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

one more for naihanchi/tekki, kinda wrestling-ish oriented (probably best for strong stocky people):

after the urazuki, if you've grabbed the guy's clothes with the other hand to pull him down, and if he blocks the punch or isn't taken out (probably applicable to some other clinch hold situations too. you'll have to experiment :)), use the leg lift to sweep him and/or cover your groin (which is open to sweet, delicious knee strikes :evil:), and the arm sweep to unbalance him, after which if he doesn't fall you pull him the other way and stomp on his leg to finish throwing him.

basically sweep & pull, then stomp & pull the other way.

@gorinnosho: the double block as in seienchin, jion and heian sandan is also applicable to that grab+hit situation: if it's an upper arm grab, you could try to block high with the free hand and hit the groin or hypogastrium with the other, if it's a cross-side lower grab use yoko uke with tai sabaki to prevent him from punching and use the gedan barai to strike low, and if it's a same side lower arm grab turn away while breaking the wrist lock with the yoko uke (and covering your face with the gedan barai preparation movement), and counter however you want. of course this is stuff that one has to drill ad infinitum, but then again, what isnt? :p

3. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

indeed.

thank you for the insight.

4. Fish Of Doom

niseishi/nijushiho: after the initial punch (done close range, pulling with the hand that does the initial deflection, so you'd be at ura-zuki range), instead of the usual armlock, put your lead leg behind the opponent's lead leg, grab their waist with the rear hand, pull the lead heel back (basically reaping the opponent's lead leg as in some judo throws), hikite and push with the forearm or elbow. bonus if you fall on top of him elbow-first.

in synthesis: block/pull-punch from in close, clinch, reap, fall on opponent, preferably elbow first. possible follow-ups include right hooks to the spleen, the left forearm to the throat and/or the right knee to the groin.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  5. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I'm having trouble picturing these movements. Is the reap similar to this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9UCYsMHR-o"]YouTube - Human Weapon MCMAP - The Reap[/ame]

I think the above gets you a nice shin in the groin if you try to land on top of the opponent.

Or is it from the inside, like the following?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDdMbxsD0z8&feature"]YouTube - OUCHI GARI[/ame]

Hey, since you mention the Judo stuff, take a look at the hand sequence to set up the arm drag in the following video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJsjE_sTBy4"]YouTube - Arm drag sumi gaeshi set up[/ame]

----------------------------

Now here is a version that I think could be the bunkai for the first movements in niseishi/nijushiho. Go to near the end of the video, 6:19 - 6:26 minute mark in this video. The application verses a downward knife attack. See what you think.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGEzqaODvZY"]YouTube - Judo - Kyuzo Mifune[/ame]

------------------------------

And since I think you mentioned on a Wado-ryu thread about bunkai. Take a look at this one:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrP7ghvNRuo&p=8FF960B678858A57"]YouTube - WadoRyu Team Kata: Niseishi & Bunkai[/ame]

6. Fish Of Doom

could be, yes. re:getting hit in the groin, that would depend on what you do with the reaping leg and in which direction you go if you end up falling. what i suggest is basically this:

[​IMG]

similar examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

in pretty much all of the versions of niseishi i've seen, the forearm move involves a rear leg drag, for which you logically need to pull with the lead, so i'm just hypothesizing a possible application taking advantage of that pull.

could also be, yes. both are quite possible as applications of a zenkutsu step and a lead leg pull.

very interesting, thanks! funnily enough, this reminds me that the other day i realized that mawashi uke is almost identical to one of the tui shou exercises we do where i train tai chi.

hmmm... can't really see what he's doing there, but i think i get what you mean.

cool. nice to see there aren't any spinning kicks or anything too :p (JKF > WKF. i have spoken). regarding the bunkai itself, i'm not a fan of pushes, myself, but it looks good. i'd just rather have seen an elbow or hammerfist there :p (but i HATE the armlock that is usually done in demos).

7. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

It is a wrist lock come along technique.

See the technique from 20 seconds to 28 seconds in this video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKFLW8u5eVw"]YouTube - TOM HILLS DOJO - GOJU RYU - 'COME ALONG TECHNIQUE' WRIST LOCK & RESTRAINT[/ame]

8. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

heian sandan? i named this cause its the kata i was introduced to when getting ready to become an orange belt they study this kata at orange you see and well thought a little bunkai discussion of it will help me. :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I always felt the 180 degree turn with the elbow strike near the end could be depicting a one-arm shoulder throw. I've mentioned it a couple times on here before, but for your viewing pleasure.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OI-FTV3-4o"]YouTube - Heian Sandan - Shotokan Karate[/ame]

See about 0:48.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiRbBl4MC6c"]YouTube - Yudo - Judo 1 Arm Shoulder Throw[/ame]

As you can see, they look very similar so that's always been one I've been fond of.

10. Fish Of Doom

aikido's koshi nage is a good one too for that move.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3uLtJaXPG0"]YouTube - Koshi Nage[/ame]

(see 0:08 and 0:18)

a similar movement is also used sometimes for the retreating elbow movements in seienchin (after each of the ura zuki sequences).

i'll admit the third heian is not exactly one of my favourite katas (in fact i flat out dislike it), so i haven't looked too much into its bunkai, although it's fairly simple to interpret.

if i were to give a list of simple bunkai for it:

-beginning sequences (block, double block, double block): general manipulations/defenses and attacks. this movement is really bizarre as far as application goes, so you're better off getting it right in kihon before thinking about bunkai for it.

-block, block, nukite: fairly obvious, it's a nukite. for finger safety, aim it at the inguinal ligament or side of the throat.

-turn, tetsui, oizuki: if your arm is grabbed and locked, "ride" the armbar and turn to strike (hammerfist if you're released, then rush with oi zuki, or elbow if the opponent doesn't let go, then from there you can grab the face and take down for a ground finisher).

-turn with hands on waist: dunno. double overhooks?

-mikazukigeri/leg raise/whatever, elbow block, uraken: standard one is raise knee to block a leg attack, block mid attack with elbow and attack with uraken. i don't like it. i prefer, from the double overhooks, hook your leg around the opponent's to buckle his knee (or stomp on it if it's vulnerable), use the turn into kiba and the empi-uke to make him go to the side and the uraken to take him down (he should fall over your thigh). then you run away.

-tate shuto, oi zuki: you cover yourself with a tate shuto and you hit him. pretty simple.

-turn with elbow strike and high punch: turn with elbow strike and high punch :p (and yes, you can hit with that punch, i've seen it done, and by accident no less. you can also just turn more and hook him in the jaw normally). alternatively, the shoulder or hip throw.

opinions?

11. Fish Of Doom

from seipai: the sequence after the last gedan barai:

kihon sequence: move and turn into left lead neko ashi dachi with yoko uke and gyaku furi/mawashi-zuki, lunge forwards into right lead kosa dachi with yoko uke and gyaku furi/mawashi-zuki, then pivot 270 degrees into sanchin dachi with kake uke.

proposed super funky and totally awesome(tm) application for this sequence: assuming an attack at an angle (say 45 degrees to your right from the end position of then neko-ashi, cover yourself with your left, use your right to strike furi-zuki to ribs or face (or cover from a left hand attack if the initial one was with the right), lunge into opponent's shoulder, using the mirrored to grab his arm, then do koshi nage with the pivot into sanchin.

12. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Thanks, guys. for that little bunkai. It helps me. :)

*gives fishofdoom and kuma a hug*

13. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Talking of throws, the double blocks right near the beginning of the kata I've now started to use as traps/arm breaks/possibly throws of some description. They were taught to me as almost a simultaneous block/strike, which I reckon is still useful (e.g. you block and strike almost simultaneously in kumite after all), but find it translates very easy to trapping an arm and hyper extending it. I guess if you have forearms of steel you could catch sticks and legs, but that's probably getting a bit fanciful.

14. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

It's a bit small but this is a fun one as well. Break the opponent's grabbing arm down with the gedan barai, while the chudan uchi uke turns more into a forearm or hammerfist to either the carotid, the brachial plexus, or behind the ear.

[​IMG]

15. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Yep that's exactly the kind of thing we do :)

16. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I never trained in these kata but the generic movements are very similar to others that I have trained in.

The bunkai for the double block sequence I have seen like how Ian Abernethy is demonstrating in that picture; however, it is not a favorite of mine. I don't like it much because it doesn't take into account the opponent's other hand.

The bunkai I like the best for these moves is:

1) attacker left hand lapel grab, right hand punches
    2) defender left inward parry, right inward strike to attacker's right bicep (bicep of punching arm that defender is parrying)
    3) defender right arm strikes away attacker's left arm (chudan uke motion) and defender's left hand strikes down the attacker's right forearm (gedan uke motion)

4) defender right chop to attacker's left jawline

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  17. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Well I was looking for a video for the bunkai but I couldn't find it. The sequence is very close to our (Kajukenbo) grab art #4. However, on you tube the grab art #4, which is different than the Hawaiian grab art #4, I found was Gaylord Method Kajukenbo. Under Gaylord Method, the closest would be their grab art #7 (I could not find a video of that either).

I was giving up on finding it, but I found something else, I did come across, Kajukenbo knife counter 13. This is another sequence with the two blocks. Go to about 3:50 minute mark in this video for knife counter 13. The first block combo is a strike to a groin and an outward block, the second combo is similar to Ian Abernethy's strike to the side of the head, followed by grabbing the back of the head and takedown. See for yourself:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yBue68Ilyw"]YouTube - Kajukenbo Training Videos - Part 2 of 2[/ame]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  18. Fish Of Doom

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD7F97KIIj4&feature=related"]YouTube - Sensei Kazuo Terauchi, Seisan Goju Ryu, bunkai variations[/ame]

19. Fish Of Doom

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUia8Rf9gPg"]YouTube - Tekki Shodan - bunkai[/ame]

some funky ones for tekki shodan. i like them!

20. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Here's a little clip of me walking/talking through some Heian Sandan back in 2007.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRvO4AgoYI0"]YouTube - Aliveness[/ame]

I'm pleased to say I've lost about 10kg since then. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011