The Brain and Sports Injuries

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Simon, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You'll all be aware that this week Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes lost his life after being hit by a cricket ball during a match.

They'll or course be an enquiry and hopefully a review of safety equipment used.

Hopefully all sports will take a look at the equipment they use and something good can come from his sad death.

I'm not saying sport should pad up their exponents from head to toe, just that we should all use the very best equipment available to us.

Today BBC Health has this article.

Here is a very good article from the American Association of Neurological Surgeons and shows stats for TBIs for both recreational and sports activities.

http://www.aans.org/patient information/conditions and treatments/sports-related head injury.aspx

So what are your thoughts on this week's sad accident and do you buy safety and training equipment because it's affordable, or because it's the very best for your sporting activity?

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I insist on only the best protective equipment for myself and my clients (I teach 1:1 sessions rather than group classes these days). I provide them with a full set of kit which is inspected before every practice. Because it's the best, it's very expensive. For those for whom it exceeds their budget, I put away a portion of my fee every week until enough is saved up for it. I'd rather lose a bit of my income to make sure they are protected; I see it as an investment in their martial arts career as well as my long term financial stability.

3. Kave

Kave Lunatic

It is very sad that a cricketer died. However, his death doesn't make the sport any more or less dangerous. There is bound to be a massive overreaction to this sad event, which I think is very unfortunate. I have nothing against sensible rules that aim to avoid or minimise injury, but I wouldn't be surprised to see something implemented that detracts from the enjoyment of either watching or playing cricket.

Let's be honest, cricket isn't exactly base-jumping in terms of risk level. In terms of dangerous pastimes it is probably on a par with golf. I would happily have a game of cricket without considering for a second that I may not survive it. Does there really need to be some sort of enquiry into increasing the safety of cricket players? Personally I would rather accept that a rare and extremely unfortunate death has resulted from a game of cricket, offer as much support as we can to those affected by this death, and then move on.

4. embra

embra Valued Member

Being Scottish, playing Cricket is not an every day experience, but I have played maybe 5 games starting at school (about 1), and some evening matches in the 1990 in southern England (about 4.) I was hit by a Cricket ball on my forearm, and the pain was probably more than anything I experienced in any MA.

5. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Simons raises a fair point , there is risk in pretty much any physical activity and it would be sensible to ensure that your own and your partners personal risk is kept to a minimum.
    The problem , as always , is balance , you need to be able to provide adequate protection without inhibiting the activity your trying to participate in , should we now expect cricketers to wear neck braces for example ?
    Then , at the opposite end of the spectrum , you get martial artists who insist on only sparring bear knuckle , or at least , with minimal padding because it's more "pure" .
    I'm not sure you'd be able to protect cricketers any better without compromising their ability to play the game , on the other hand , as martial artists , I think this sad situation is a good incentive to reevaluate our own "health and safety" practices in an activity that essentially actively encourages you to hurt your partner.
    Sorry if this post is a bit of a ramble , but it's been a bit of a roller coaster week. , with a friends wife dying mid week and then , out of the blue , finding out my sisters pregnant today.