The Bittersweet pangs of aging.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Botta Dritta, May 16, 2022.

1. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I’m about to turn 75. I'm lucky not to have any knee, hip, and back problems. This is why I try to change my 3 miles running into 3 miles walking + kicks/punches.

Someone told me that his wife had hip replacement just from daily walking. I didn't know walking can cause hip problem. Since I walk 3 miles every day, I may have to reduce that.

I ran 3 miles and also walked 3 miles yesterday. Running make me to feel young. My running desire is still too strong. I need to control that.

axelb likes this.
  2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

It's unlikely that walking was the cause behind needing a hip replacement.

The most common reason for hip replacement is rheumatoid arthritis, which is an autoimmune condition with unknown causes.

3. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Arthritis is also a result of wear and tear on joints (compounded by genetic factors)
    High impact exercises wear the joints out quicker so actually a lot of strikers get arthritis in the hips as they age (all that rotation of the joint)
    Walking is probably the least contributing factor to arthritis and benefits surely outweigh the costs, but all movement does create wear…

axelb and Xue Sheng like this.
  4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

That would be osteoarthritis. If the person was very overweight it might contribute to possible causes, and women are more likely to develop osteoarthritis, but walking in and of itself is not likely to cause someone to need a hip replacement.

My main point is that youknowwho shouldn't be put off walking as exercise because the wife of someone he knows needed a hip replacement and blamed walking. Walking by itself is unlikely to be the cause.

5. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Yup agreed

David Harrison likes this.
  6. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Thanks for your opinion. If I stop running, or stop walking, my life will have no meaning. I always believe that if I don't use it, I will lose it.

axelb likes this.
  7. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

and as always MAP's master of the double entendre.;)

axelb likes this.