The Bike Thread

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Victoria, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Jamesm

Jamesm Outraged

Cheek! My road bike is a Saracen! This will be settled on the mat.
    (mind you, the only reason I got it was because it was cheap. Specialized Roubaix - drooool).
    If i was buying one bike, it would be a mountain bike - get some thin (under 1.5") slicks to put on it (buy a trackpump to help with this) when you need speed on the road and you have the best of both worlds. Just go to a decent shop when you buy (NOT Halfords).

2. Jamesm

Jamesm Outraged

Aluminium/Alloy - the same thing. Its usually a straight fight between Steel (Chromoly) or Aluminium (Alloy) at lower price ranges.

3. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

That's probably what I will do. I've always had mountain bikes, don't really get on with road bikes/racers.

Dumb question, are slicks tyres? :eek:

Speaking of Halfords, the last bike I had from there the staff offered to put bull bars on for me quickly before I left. They mangled the handlebars and sent me packing! So no, I probably wouldn't go to Halfords :D

4. Jamesm

Jamesm Outraged

Slicks are tyres with no tread or very small slits to dissipate water. Really fast when thin.
    Typical Halfords story there. I got sold a size 22" mountain bike by them when I was in my teens - I would grow into it apparently. I am only 5' 10" now - a 22 incher would suit someone about 6' 3"! Idiots then, and they haven't changed since.

5. Victoria

Thanks, I'm glad there's some people here who know what they're talking about!

What about the carbon mentioned in some frame specs (such as the Scott Lou showed above)?

6. Victoria

Sig!

I thought so, was just looking at them. That's what I'll do when the time comes.

And what's with these folding bikes? :eek:

7. Jamesm

Jamesm Outraged

Oooh, cost yer. Expensive stuff generally, and questions have been asked about its long-term durability, but it is light and strong, and can be made with interesting shock-absorbing qualities. Can give a "dead" feel to the ride according to some.
    Titanium is another option (very expensive) but it can be very flexy if not designed right.
    Stick with aluminium I reckon, can't go wrong with it.
    But good Steel bikes have a really nice feel to them as well.

8. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I got into bicycling several years ago after taking a long break inspired by an unintentional attempt at aviation after being struck by an automobile. I have to say I wish I would have started back sooner.

I currently ride a mountain bike. I ride it down along the water for the view. Given the changing weather here, it's about time to get the bike out!

9. Victoria

I was wondering if there was such thing as a titanium frame, it seemed a good option (it is for my badminton racket at least!) but I was thinking maybe it wouldn't stand up as bike material.

I might have been tempted to go with the carbon but I'll bare that in mind!

I've never had a problem with steel bikes, the one I had through my teens I'd do 60 mile round trips with no problem. It'll certainly do me for the time being :)

10. Victoria

Apparently aluminium has a limited life and is typically guaranteed for just 5 years. :confused:

Has anyone got experience with an aluminium bike older the 5 years?

11. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Jamie is making my tea so I'll answer V! :D They generally last,depending on how well the frame is made. My current Caldera is aluminium and shows no sign of becoming knackered,though I must admit over the last couple of years it hasnt exactly been hammered :( A decent frame such as a Kona aluminium will be fine. My old Fire Mountain is chromoloy (sp) and is still going strong as my sister has it now,that's from about 10 years ago when they were making quite thin tubed bikes, they tend to be a bit chunkier these days.
    If they give you riser bars you may find straight bars with the bar ends on are better for climbing.I tried riser bars and when doing tricky climbs they just didnt give me anything to grip. They are too trendy anyway :D

12. Victoria

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/road/product/fascenario-07-08-24132

:eek:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  13. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

It can all get silly! I saw a carbon wheel costing more than my two bikes combined :D The boyfriend had a titanium bike that was very light indeed. You only need hugely light bikes if you are racing really.

14. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

here is a vid of me doing a downhill session:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVAccWTrnIQ"]YouTube[/ame]

hhahah yeah right, I wish.

15. Victoria

I was just reassuring Chris that I wouldn't consider a carbon frame unless I was racing, there really is no need. I think he just saw his next 6 months worth of pay vanish before his eyes :D

So is titanium any lighter than carbon? Most of the 'pro' bikes seem to be carbon although I have spotted a few titanium frames. It was graphite I was thinking of earlier when I said my badminton racket was made of titanium :rolleyes:

16. Victoria

Only the first few seconds are working for me, but that looks a lot of fun!

17. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

There probably isn't much in it tbh, I think titanium may have more "give" than carbon. You can get lots of carbon parts these days, its pretty popular. You see these guys in the bike shops buying all the gear and they have been out once :D

18. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I was seriously tempted to start racing, but there weren't many races with many women in xc which was a shame. Look up Tracey Moseley, she's a top top downhill racer, riding for Kona. Caroline Alexander was pretty good too, she got a burst tyre when she was in the lead at the Commonwealth games and I actually cried for her!
    And then there is Nicole Cooke, a welshie too, who is the top road cyclist in the world and an utter hero of mine!

19. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Don't forget to budget for kit too! If you get spd pedals you will need spd shoes (I have specialized women's ones,they are great), helmet- a must! Plus some padded shorts, jacket maybe too.

20. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Yes.... get padded shorts.

:cry: Just do it :cry: