The biggest thing you can swing vs martial arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Estrix, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

I was having an interesting talk with some friends the other day, and we were discussing martial arts vs simply hitting some one with, say, a bar stool.

The general thought is that many of the disarming techniques are good for removing makeshift weapons (or real weapons for that matter) from an opponent. I've managed this approach on a man with a pool cue so I know it works. Though I'm pretty sure most martial artists could strike through a pool cue anyway. However if you tried this with a bottle you'd probably loose some fingers to the shards of glass.

Anyway, moving on from the idea of a single opponent, what happens if the situation dissolves into a multi-person slug-fest. Most people in the discussion were of the opinion that if you end up in this situation, hitting your opponent with something heavier than your fist (see above mentioned bar stool) is the way to go. If F=mXa then it stands to reason that a larger object is better for the purposes of fight ending.

Also, any weapon adds some range, and the guy with the weapon only needs to be lucky once....the other person has to keep being lucky. Of course if the object is heavy enough it also means that blocking goes out the window to avoid a broken arm.

So I'm just wondering what other people think about this?

2. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Well, at some point you realise that Martial Arts arent just about style and body mechanics etc.

I dont think a karateka will do any better/worse than a grappler against a stick or knife,
    its more to do with getting from A to B efficiently and disabling an aggresor from further attack, be it one or many.

For egsample the safest place to be when being attacked with a weapon is, inside its arc, or its dangerous range.
    Like if you have an iron bar, i want to be grappling you asap otherwise i am where you want me to be, about a metre in front of you so you can hit me with it lol.

More potent than any skills accumulated will always be mindset, its when these two are combined is when it all comes together in my opinion.
    Dissarming/KO ing the first guy and grabbing his weapon then defending with that weapon is still M/Arts :)

3. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

"If it's too big to hit with your fist, hit it with an implement." - The Midnighter.

The safest place to be when being attacked with a weapon is out of range.

So is grabbing a weapon first. Why go for a fancy disarm when there's probably something effective to hand?

4. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

hitting somebody with a blunt instrument is a form of martial arts. Just because it's crude doesn't mean it can't be improved on by good martial arts practice. Besides, there is usually more than 1 pool cue lying around.

5. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

He picks up a pool kyu

You pick up a pool ball then another then another...

6. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

The bar room version of the Cold War arms race?

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Where you find a pub with a pool table in it these days? All restaurant type pubs now arn't they?

8. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

sort of, but the way to end it is to start throwing chairs. Or do something that makes everybody laugh. That's the best way. Nobody can fight while they're giggling.
    Only in england. Come to carmarthen, there's loads of pool tables around. my personal favourite is the golden lion.

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

My penis.

Sorry, but someone was going to make that joke sooner or later. :evil:

10. Moi

I have to admit I had a picture in my head of me, like an Olympic hammer thrower, swinging a huge phallus but I'm disappointed to say it's never going to happen :cry:

11. Moi

I think a pick-axe handle has a loverly weight to it

12. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

And they say its grim ooop north!

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

It's not grim, it's called "realism." Better than dahn sahf where they enjoy bright colours and pictures of hairless men in leather thongs.

14. Moi

In fairness I don't tend to go out unless it's for a meal now so perhaps it's just me. I'd prefer a DJ booth anyway

15. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

I can just see it now.....ey oop lad, you just spilled my quiche! What you going to do about it!:woo:

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Translated into Southernese: "Oi me ol' mucka, wot ya fink ya doin?! You troiyin to staht sahmfink?"

Or, translated in Southernese with an Oxford accent: "I say, terribly sorry old fellow. Entirely my fault, let me buy you another brandy. I would not want to start a ruckus, what what."

17. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Or into northern: "Dole check, dole check, council house, beer, beer tatoo".

18. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

Maybe we should move this thread to the linguistic section of the board for a better discussion on the subject of UK accents and semantics lol.

19. Shiho-Nage

Shiho-Nage I'm okay to go.

The first rule of unarmed self-defense is: arm yourself.

All of the snazzy unarmed techniques you know are a distant third to 1) leaving and 2) arming yourself.

20. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

I can go with that. It seems that being armed would be a step above being not armed, even if its just an improvised weapon.