The Best

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Riddick, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Riddick

Riddick New Member

Pound for pound, who was the greatest boxer?
    Sugar Ray Robinson has been given that particular title, but i think that Muhammed Ali has to have been one of, if not thebest boxer of all time.
    what are your thoughts on this?

2. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Personally, i'd have to say Ali. Simply because of the amount of heart he put into boxing and winning.

Even to this day, his fights haven't lost even a smidgen of their entertainment value.

3. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

i would say either ray robinson or tyson. tyson in his prime had amazing head and body movement, quickness, combinations, and power. ali is great, but tyson had head and body movement and quickness similar to ali's along with devestating power which ali lacked.
    ray robinson had it all.

4. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Valued Member

It was never ever Tyson and don't think you'll find a boxing expert that agrees with you. The common picks are Sugar Ray Robinson and Ali. Ali was the greatest boxing figure but was he the greatest boxer? No. He should really have lost to Henry Cooper back in 1963 and for that reason alone he cannot be upheld as the greatest boxer.

I dunno who it is. Of the boxers I have seen fights of I'd say Marvin Hagler but I know he probably isn't better than Robinson overall.

5. shootodog

shootodog restless native

there are many "pound for pound" best fighters. it depends on the era you speak of.

ali has my respect. no boxer has captured the imagination of so many.

there were the great middleweights of the 80s. "sugar" ray leonard, leon spinx, roberto "el maso" duran, tommy "the hitman" herns and "marvelous" marvin haggler.

then there was rjj. some said he was the michael jordan of boxing. i say, if he were'nt so bored with boxing, and if dropped his rapping and his basketball, he would still be pound for pound, the best.

some boxing rag just said the best pound for pound right now is manny "pacman" paquiao.

6. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Mohammed "I am the greatest" Ali...

7. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

Everybody has their personal favourite but mine has to be Sugar Ray Leonard. I know he used to showboat by sticking his chin out and doing the windmill movement with his arms but he always seemed to be so natural and relaxed when he was fighting. :D

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Tyson in his prime - without a shadow of a doubt.

9. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

Tyson. his early fights are just unbelievable. the guys he were fighting were all competent pros and he made them look like amateurs.

10. shootodog

shootodog restless native

him too. but i say rjj before he got bored.

11. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

Tyson was the greatest fighter there ever was. He was a machine. The unfortunate thing is the circumstances and choices which led his life in a direction that wasn't helpful to his career. That and D'amato dying, that was a turning point for Tyson.

12. The Viking

The Viking Working

"He should really have lost to Henry Cooper back in 1963 and for that reason alone he cannot be upheld as the greatest boxer."

Mate ur soo right thats true he would have won but angelo dundee cut ali's glove to give ali some time to catch his breath and asked to get a new one, but instead of just saying tape it up the ref sent away for a new one, once ali got it back together dundee said nah dont worry bout it well just tape it, then that was it ali just hit coopers eyes cos he had weak eyebrows they split realy easy..

13. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

I with tyson too.

14. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

not the best boxer of all time but a legend in his own right was johnny owen
    anyone remember him.

15. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

Even Henry Cooper lost you know to Peter Bates as I know Peter as he lives up the road from me. He a shadow of what he used to be and he's a very interesting guy when you get him talking about boxing and how it's changed since he was in the game.

I vote for Ali and always will lol.

16. rtkd

rtkd Z-boyz

Rocky Marciano. greatest fight record eva.
    as a professional - 49 straight fights of which 43 - almost 90 % - were by knockouts.
    defended his title (world heavy weight title )six times, winning five by knockouts.

17. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

Yes he was nicknamed 'the matchstick man' because of his build but he had the heart of a lion. RIP

18. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I believe that there was some computer simulation done in which he fought Ali, and Ali won. Although how accurate that was, I have no idea, because a simulation obviously isnt the same as the real thing, especially since its hard to judge heart, and will power, which are very important in fighting

19. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

Thank you

20. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

And not forgetting another important factor in a fight... luck :)