The Best Martial Arts Movie

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by DAWAS, Oct 7, 2004.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Much like Chuck Norris actually did then. Excellent. :)

2. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

tell me honestly if you think Chuck could stand up to Bruce's ability had Bruce been alive today?

3. megk

megk New Member

I too liked Best of The Best. I also enjoyed Fist of Fury. As far as the argument about who would be a better fighter today....I will have to reluctently say Bruce Lee. I love Chuck Norris, he's my man, I agree with him in just about everything. I think they would not fight given the oppurtunity because I think they have too much respect for the art.

4. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

True, afterall they did work together in Way Of The Dragon.
    I've heard lots of stories about Chuck hurting Bruce while filming etc but i don't believe these to be true :)

5. megk

megk New Member

Wasn't way of the Dragon one of Bruce Lee's last films? I recall a story of him being sick during the filming of that one.

6. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

It was the one where he filmed in Rome, Italy.

I heard of him being ill on Enter The Dragon and Game Of Death but not Way Of The Dragon.

It was his third film for Golden Harvest after The Big Boss and Fist Of Fury. :)

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Ring experience + grappling experience + conditioning

Yeah, I think he'd hold his own just fine.

Stuart

8. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

Gedhab mate, you'd be better off giving it a rest, ap-oweyn points are about independently verifiable data; a lot of Bruce Lee stuff was anecdotal, word of mouth, which doesn't necessarily mean its not true, but doesn't mean it is true either. Chinese whispers and all that...

There is one that I've seen in a couple of the autobiographies, that mentions him in a scrap wanting to give up, but Wong Chun Leung pushing him on, and him going on to win the fight. However, the account as far as I know is from classmates of his, sources that I wouldn't say are independently verifiable. WCL was famed to be an immense WC fighter, had a big reputation in Hong Kong/China for it, don't know if he is related to Duncan Leung Im afraid.

It does seem to me, that a lot of chinese TMA stuff is always by word of mouth and reputation; not something I necessarily disagree with, but its not enough proof for everybody...

9. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

Just because it isn't verifiable doesn't mean it's not true. I doubt all these stories were just created out of nothing. anyway enough of this argument, some people need to have all the proof, evidence etc etc before they will believe anyting. People who have trained and known Bruce, Dan Inosantos being one of them testify that Bruce was an exceptional fighter and i have no reason to doubt this.

10. butcher wing

butcher wing Oi, Fatso!

best ma film

there are so MANY superb MA filcks made over the last 30 years it is impossible for me to pick one. 50 I could probably choose.

11. MTK

MTK New Member

I would choose romeo must die or cradle to the grave :bang:

12. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

those two films suck! I prefer his older films :)

13. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

As much as I respect Dan, and this is my opinion only and could be wrong, but you must remember that if Dan said anything other than Bruce was exceptional, it would take away from peoples perception of him as well. Being associated with Bruce gives him more credibility and he is able to make more moola. The amount of respect he gets and moola he makes is directly proportional to the greatness, strength and skill the memory of Bruce has.

Don't get me wrong, I am amazed with many of the moves and speed that Bruce Lee has shown...but they were still movies, and he was still a Hollywood enhanced individual. And I have to say, some of Bruces movies were absolutely horrible as far as story, acting, etc...still chuckling when I think about them. Chuck Norris was also Hollywood enhanced, but he had other verifiable accomplishments as stated by Matt and others.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Nor do I. I'm a big fan of Dan Inosanto. He's the reason I got into FMA. And I was a big fan of Bruce Lee at one point. I'm not taking anything away from him. I'm asserting that Chuck Norris is better than you give him credit. But whatever. It's your world.

Stuart

15. Johnny N

Johnny N New Member

Prodigal son for me closely followed by Jet Li`s Fong Sai Yuk (The legend), In fact its a hard one for me as I`m a big Sammo and Jackie fan too. :p

16. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

I don't doubt Chuck at all but i just don't vouch for him being able to match Bruce Lee.

I disagree. Dan learnt ALOT from Bruce and vice versa. But i don't buy into your suggestion that Dan is shining in Bruce's reflected glory. Dan Inosantos is a great MAist in his own right and is constantly trying to develop his art. He needs the credibility he deserves. :)

17. Wesker

Wesker Professional Lurker

JCVD : You're good.
    Kid Hero : I get better.

I'll never forget the training montage at the playground.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

19. seany85

seany85 Valued Member

I would say Return of The Dragon , the only reason is the fight scene between Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris one of the best ever.

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Watching him pummel Bob Wall and that Korean bloke was good fun too. It's probably my favourite Bruce Lee movie.