The benefits of massage - keep it clean gentlemen!!!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Silver_no2, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Silver_no2

Silver_no2 Avenging Angel

One of the women who works in my office is a qualified massage therapist. She has helped me with numerous injuries over the last couple of months, mainly to my shoulder and my knee.

Yesterday we were discussing the topic and she pointed out that professional sportsmen (and women) have massages on a daily basis - before they exercise/train, as well as after. Apparently this helps to develop the muscles in terms of flexibility and strength while reducing the chances of injury. I think that this would be quite helpful given the nature of the martial arts.

Do any of you have a massage on a regular basis? If so what type (sports/Swedish/Japanese/relaxation etc.)? Do you think they are of any particular benefit or just a nice way to relax?

Thoughts, comments, remarks.....?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2002
  2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I'd love to be able to have one on a daily basis, unfortunately I don't have the money. They are beneficial, increasing circulation to help repair tissues and build new ones after particularly heavy training, and getting rid of tension which can be very damaging. They are also very good ways to relax.

A hot bath is a nice substitute though.

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I think they're definitley of benefit to any athlete, including the martial artist. Sports massage is really good for helping the muscles to warm up before events, thus preventing injuries. Shiatsu/pressure point work is pretty good as well, I didn't really believe it could work until the other day when I injured my elbow in a fall and tried working the pressure points. After about 15-20 minutes, it was much improved, and I could move it about without pain. I can see that coming in handy for tournaments :)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2002
  4. GICKER

GICKER Banned Banned

THERE IS ON EVIDENCE THAT A MASSAGE WILL STOP INJURIES.
    THERE HAS BEEN A STUDY TO SHOW THAT THERE IS NO PHYICAL BENEFIT TO HAVING A MASSAGE AFTER TRAINING YOU WILL DO JUST AS WELL TO STRECHING.

i am refuring to sports masseg

ther are many benefits to therapys, and i belive in the power fo the mind. check out lifes energies.

5. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I didn't mean sports massage would stop injuries, but its a fact that warm muscles = less chance of injury, which is what I said. It increases blood flow to the muscle, which is essential pre-training/tournament. Although it should be used in conjunction with a good warm up, not in place of.

Out of interest, if you read it online, could you tell me the link to the info on the study you mentioned?

6. Side-kick

Side-kick New Member

Ask your massure what the technique is / and the function of clcking someones neck so their vertibrae sound like a machine-gun. I can click my own neck but I once had someone do it to my neck after a massage and they twisted the head so even the vertibrae leading into my skull clicked.
    It was awsome feeling - you just wanted to freeze and be still to savour the moment.
    I'd love to know what the idea behind this is for a massure and whats it called etc..