The beep test

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Metal_Kitty, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

Does anyone remember their beep test scores? I just did one yesterday...got 7.2. It doesn't seem like a very good score...but I don't know what the norm is. According to one website, my results are "excellent", according to another, I'm just below average. :confused:

Hmmmm so anyway, I just wanna know what kinda scores other people are getting.

2. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

Sorry mods, wrong section. Please move this to "off topic".

3. benkei

benkei Valued Member

I got a 10.1 last week - but that was after a crossfit session and an hour of judo. 7.0 is the base standard for getting into the army, so you are a bit below average, sorry to burst any bubble you may have had :)

4. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

The 16 - 18 year old cadets I work with who choose to do this tend to get about 10.3 with no fitness training. When they do it as an element of a competition they are usually near the bottom with scores like that. Their more active peers tend to be in the 11 - 15 range.

As a rough guide to expected normal fitness levels, here are the RAF's minimum bleep test requirements as part of its annual fitness test:

Age Beep test score
    Male
    Under 17 9.04 -10.09
    17-29 9.10 -11.06
    30-34 9.04 - 10.10
    35-39 8.09 - 10.03
    40-44 8.03 - 9.09
    45-49 7.07 - 9.02
    Female
    Under 17 6.07 - 7.09
    17-29 7.02 - 8.06
    30-34 6.08 - 7.10
    35-39 6.04 - 7.04
    40-44 5.08 - 6.08
    45-49 5.04 - 6.02

5. proteinnerd

proteinnerd Valued Member

I believe there are two different lengths of bleep tests, ie in one you run about half the length of the other and the timing is different as well...this might account for the differences in scores and their meanings.

6. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

To the best of my knowledge the one we use is the Australian one - the accent at least! I'm working with a Sgt PTI today so I'll ask him.

7. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

back in the day it was 14.9, but i'm fairly sure that there are different ones, ie the school one in new zealand was shorter than the all blacks rugby team one

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I can if you really want to MK, but I think it sits under cardio quite well?

Mitch

9. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

Sorry, but this is the first time I have heard of a beep test in my life. What is it?

10. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

You do shuttle runs and have to get from one side to the other before the bleep. You stop when you can't keep up with the bleeps anymore.

My last bleep test was so long ago I have no idea what score I got

11. SenseiMattKlein

So, does it test endurance, flat out speed, or agility?

12. Mitch

The test is in levels. At each level the bleeps get closer together, so you have to run faster as the test continues. I can't remember now but I think you also have to do more laps per level as the levels increas too, so you're running faster and for longer.

Whenever I'd run them people start off smiling and thinking it's stupidly easy.

Oh how I laugh at their innocence when I check on them later as they're puking down the leaisure centre toilet :D

It's a good test Sensei Klein, you should be able to download a copy from the net somewhere I imagine.

Mitch

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

For those of you with the I-Pod Touch and I-Phone, you can download the beep test from the App Store on I-Tunes.

I have two, one a 20 metre and the other is a 15 metre test (British Police Standard). The 15 metre is great because I can set it up in the hall I use.

14. Mitch

ooh, I didn't know there was a 15m! I use the 20m in our 18m hall at the mo.

Mitch

15. Simon

If you can't find it Mitch give me a shout and I will find the link.

16. Mitch

Thanks Simon; I don't have an Iphone or anything similar, so might not be able to use it anyway, but if you find the link post it up here, it might be useful for others :)

Mitch

17. Simon

Now this is not the version that I use, as I got mine from ITunes, but this looks like a good site where you can download to a CD, which is great for those without the ipods.

http://www.thebleeptest.com/?gclid=CI701J2lj6cCFQ4f4QodSi4qbw

I am currently at work so can't access ITunes for theother link.

18. Simon

19. SenseiMattKlein

By the sounds of it, I suspect a middle distance runner like a 800m guy, would be especially good at this. Am I right?

20. Mitch

I think the record for the beep test was held by Sebastian Coe, the English Olympic runner who ran at 800m and 1500m distances.

Mitch