The beat up body, training and how you deal with it thread

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Frodocious, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Is that Terry the driving instructor or someone in Ruthin?

2. brotherinarms

brotherinarms Valued Member

scouse terry he lives in mold dont know what he does for a living but he drives a new vectra he goe's to kevs classes on a monday!

3. Moi

Not the same Terry. Gets a little wild just before a fight so be careful. There are already two fighters injured.

4. brotherinarms

yeh im off to a&e on ma gp's orders just to get ma hearing checked out this morning, might as well check ma thumb n knee at the same time.

5. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Gah done something really really horrible to my lower right shoulder blade and can barely lift my arm. Grrrrr. Good old thai oil again and rest today to my I reckon.
    Have no idea how I did it last night at training, it came on in the middle of the night.

And I also appear to have an injury to my bottom rib on my left back. All good fun :D

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

You poor thing. Hope you're feeling better soon!

I had my orthopaedic consult the other day and the surgeon has no idea why my ankle has not returned to full flexibility. He's ordered an MRI, another course of physio and given me a new ankle brace which is crap for grappling, as it has splints down both sides and really reduces my range of movement (plus I think the muppet who gave it to me gave me one that is too big)!

On the plus side, my back is getting better, however, as I don't want it to go again, I'm not back to full sparring yet. I'll gradually up the intensity over the next few weeks.

7. brotherinarms

well i hope the both of you recover as soon as u can, i went to a&e today and i have a hole in my eardrum so no swimming for six weeks and no training tonight :(
    i don't think i should risk fighting with it like this because i don't want to go deaf, if i get a bad knock again, as this is the only good ear i have, ill go speak to ma trainer tonight see what he says, bit gutted really was looking forward to it, at least i can stiill do the pad work, i'd be pretty depressed if i couldn't train at all for some reason!!!

8. Frodocious

Sorry to hear about your ear! I know how frustrating it can be to be injured, but if you can train round the injury do so. Take the opportunity to work on your general fitness and do pad work (like you mentioned). Or even take a week off training, that can be just as good for you as working round the injury.

9. EvilhomerNZ

EvilhomerNZ Valued Member

.. Finalgon.

Twice as hot as tiger balm and it's good for what ail's you.

Smear a moderate amount on the injury and spend the night crying. Wake up the next day fine. :)

10. brotherinarms

its not gonna make ma ear n e better is it lol, nah but i could try it on my knee if it starts playing up again.

11. Moi

You're in a bad way from what I've been told. Hope it improves quickly for you.

12. TSDSteve

TSDSteve Valued Member

Hi Guys,

Talking about ailments does anyone know of a remedy for shin splints?. cant run
    /jog more than 50m before the pain starts to become unreal. been the same for over 12months now even after resting for months at a time. Did spk to Dr about it but didn't get any joy other than 'rest'.

Cheers

Steve

13. brotherinarms

cheers moi, i hope so too i dont think listening to loud music is n e good for me lolbut i cant hear it otherwise haha,

and steve i dont have an answer but i get shin splints badly sometimes if you do get a "cure" let me know please mate, all i can say is i rested my legs a few days later they were better but it comes and goes, just be careful not to over exert your shins if they are getting bad dont push yourself to hard because you'll just make things worse and can make the damage permanent!

14. EvilhomerNZ

EvilhomerNZ Valued Member

Hate to break it to you.. but rest is the best way to fix it. Shin splints are a huge issue for me.. rest will fix it. No running or impact work on your legs at all.

Prevention wise, go to a decent sport shoe place and drop a couple of hundred dollars on a decent pair of shoes. It's the easiest and best way to deal with it.

15. Dave Hail

Dave Hail Valued Member

I've got a "Type 2, stage 2, Spondylothesis".... something for people to look up on the internet... :)

There's only two things I can use to help training when it gets bad, BuTrans Patches (it's like those nicotine patches but dispenses 10 micrograms of Morphine an hour) and a very good assistant instructor. He takes the class while I sit and watch.

Although I have have just has 8 steroid injections into my spinal facet joints and it's made a real difference.

Now I just have to get fit again and lose all those extra pounds I've piled on over the last year.

16. Frodocious

Well, after Judo last night, I have some monster mat burns on my big toes and the tops of my feet! OUCH!

17. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I've been using a foam roller regularly for the past several weeks and it is absolutely amazing. Gets rid of a lot of muscle soreness, loosens your body up so you actually get deeper stretches, and is a great warm-up. I started off only 3x a week and I'm up to almost every day now.

18. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

I am sold to prolotherapy, many will say science and study said it failed but for me and tones of others it worked great.

I have been injured for 8 years, got some prolotherapy treatments in the neck, lower back, hip joint and groin to fix laxed ligaments.

Right now i am getting GUNA bio injections along my prolo treatments and its working even better.

3 months ago i pulled a ligament in my shoulder, note i am 37 years old and yes i was trying to lift to much weight out of excitement of actually being able to lift weights again, 4 prolotherapy fixed my shoulder.

Depending on how injured you where, i received over 300 adjustements for 2 chiros in 1 year and a half so you can imagine how laxed my ligamens where. I am glad to say that my pelvic as remained in place for a very long time now almost 8 months where i was able to squat and deadlift again, do some standing press and more.

I will not lie and say i am 100% but after a good year of treatment my snapping hip joint is much better, most of my chronic pain is gone, i can enjoy life once more.

In September of this year i will start looking at getting back into martial arts.

Note that anyone who wants to look into prolotherapy must have a great diet, supplement with multi vitamine, glucosamine complex collagen and lots of good protein to repair the ligaments and tendons.

Good luck everyone and keep on training.

19. Frodocious

Aaaarrgghh, sprained my elbow grappling last night. I really hope its better for the weekend, as I have a grappling seminar on Sunday. :bang:

20. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Frodo…
    You don’t get much luck do you? I feel terrible for you.
    Injuries are horrible; being out of training and the constant niggling really depresses me and turns me into an ogre.

I feel I’m quite lucky I normally only end up with the odd bruise or split lip or whatever, but as a rule I just bounce :) I’m the jammy get every one at the dojo hates who despite deserving it never gets long term niggling injuries.