The beat up body, training and how you deal with it thread

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Frodocious, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

It's one of the books on my list of wants. Although using the foam roller tackles some of the same problems, as will the regular sports massages I'm starting to have.

2. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Definitely check it out, its a great resource!

A good trick for self massage I picked up from that book is to stick a tennis ball (or something smaller/harder) in to a long sock, swing it around your back, press it agaisnt the wall with your back and roll it about for a nice back massage. Works really well. Can also be done sans sock, but a bit more tricky. Though its much easier to find/identify the trigger point/pain relationship with the book, thats really its main benefit IMO.

Stuff like this:

http://www.triggerpointbook.com/shoulder.htm

The site also gives some other problem/trigger point diagrams:

http://www.triggerpointbook.com

Much more in the book though.

3. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I have trigger point massages for my back.

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But really worth it!

4. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

LOL... OUCH indeed!

Whenever any of my mates has some back issues I usually give them a TP massage, they squirm and scream but then come back for more next time. My sadistic self finds it really amusing! :D

Worth it for sure!

5. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Hi Mike,

Thanks for taking the time to write out that excellent post,I very much appreciate you doing that.

Your post has given me a lot of food for thought Mike,I shall be acting on some if not most of your advice.

Thanks again bro.:)

6. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Fair enough.

Would an ankle support help? I use a semi-rigid one myself, it allows flexion and extension of the ankle but severely limits inversion and eversion (side to side movements). Its light years better then the standard neoprene support. I find it prevents me from re-spraining the ankle, which was becoming a worryingly regular occurence.

Mike

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  7. Frodocious

8. righty

righty Valued Member

Ibuprofen is my go to drug. I rejoiced when I found the generic 100 tablet packs at the drug store. I think the chemist though I was high and seemed reluctant to sell it to me.

For those who use Tiger Balm I have a question. I really like it, but I find I can't use it as regularly as I like. It's the smell. How do you get around it, if at all.

I like to apply it after training, but after training means after a shower (so it doesn't wash off) just before bed. That means that bed smells of it, not to mention me for at least a day or so. Or am I just being vain?

9. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Does ibuprofen give anyone else heart burn? It does me terribly when taking it regularly, though I dont ever do it for long.

10. Frodocious

Sorry Su Lin, I knew I meant to answer your question at some point. No I don't get heart burn with Ibuprofen - do you take it with food?

Just been to see an orthopaedic surgeon about my dodgy ankle and he has no idea why I haven't got my flexibility back in it. So now I'm getting a proper ankle brace for it (not sure this will really help though), another course of physio and an MRI!

11. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

The next MAP meet should be at a hospital!

Trigger points - they're magi. I picked up a 70's book onthat in a 2nd hand shop and was very impressed. Always wil remember my dad having a go with pressing a point to relieve a frozen shoulder. Watching the haunted tense look fade from his face was awesome. He was laughing in under a minute.

If you're carrying injuries day to day, week to week you need to STOP and let the symptoms play out. You'll learn more about the injury if you don't keep resetting it to max. I went with shoulder trouble for two years before I finally caved in and took nine months out. Half of those nine months was healing and the rest was me being out of the habit of going to class. The two years suffering in class was the bigger waste of my time though.

12. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Had my latest one last week ,worked a treat................then went and landed on someones knee on my back and got winded at sub grappling on Monday night and had to take rest of the week off.

Typical!!! :D

13. brotherinarms

brotherinarms Valued Member

has n e one got any tips for bruised ribs please?

14. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I heard who you were sparring with.

Rest mate.

15. brotherinarms

haha they are gud ppl to spar against, im tryna get better against them, thats why i went tonight tried to push a bit harder and im back their tomoz so ill try harder again. takin a break on friday need at least 1 day rest innit! not long too go now!!!

16. Moi

Might get down tomorrow if I'm not working. Try sparring with my wife. She's real quick. (......and be thankful it's not my son) Just a thought. I can make it happen if you'd like.

17. brotherinarms

yeh ill try sparring against anyone its a better way to learn innit! how olds your son? their was a lad with white gloves on today think he's been doin it for 2 years he's pretty quick had me off a few times cant remember his name though! well i might see you their then im going for 7 i think! gotta train like the national express coz im not in on the friday!! if i can find any bandage do u wreckon its worth bandaging my ribs up a bit for support?

18. Frodocious

Ice and rest. Icepacks are not fun on your ribs though!

19. Moi

He's 16 but he's been training with Russ since he was 7

20. brotherinarms

right ,went trainin yesterday and got wooped by terry! proper took it to ma right leg and now the leg is better but went trainin today and the knee is getting sharp stabbing pains in it shooting from the outside of the knee to the inner it started later in the day before training and hurts a lot more then if you just bump it

also i took a hook to the side of my head and its messed with my hearing i thought it would be like on a plane when your ears pop so i tried a few things but no luck ill jus have to wait and see i guess only thing is i can only hear through that ear any way so if it messes up on me i'll be completely deaf,

and as well as that i've injured my thumb cant put any pressure on it really, was a bit annoying driving home and getting the keys out of the ignition but it doesnt look swollen just a bit painfull when you move it and even more painfull when you add pressure haha all in all a good day at the office!!!