The Basics of Defence

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Melanie, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

http://www.self-defender.net/article19.htm

Groin attacks

Groin attack is usually considered as "No 1 women's self defense technique"; every woman knows how to perform it, but rare will risk to try it facing a real aggression. Groin attacks are quite effective, but most probably they will fail without the element of surprise - because groin is a very sensitive part of men's body, and men usually thoroughly control this area, most likely expecting attack here. On finding out your intention to fight back, assailant won't regret you. So, surprise is the key element of a successful groin attack.

The first variation of the groin attack is accomplished with a knee (pic. 1). Seize both attacker's hands and strike him to the respective area with your knee as hard as you can. Another option - front kick to the groin (pic. 2). This kick is best used when your attacker's legs are spread. Front kick is done in much the same way as you would kick playing a football. Flick your striking leg very quick, without any delay. In this case the best results come from bringing your foot up under the testicles and striking with the top part of your foot.

It is also possible for defending woman to grab and twist man's testicles with a hand (pic. 3). While this women's self defense technique may seen repellent, it will produce the most dramatic effect on your attacker.

Applying of these self defense techniques won't defeat attacker completely - it will only deactivate, stun him for a short time and gives defending woman a real chance to escape, so don't waste such precious time and run as quick as possible!

Breaking hugs (grips)

When assailant grasps your body, strongly press your thumbs on his eyes (pic. 1). This action will make him feel a sharp pain. Don't hesitate and hardly strike his ears with your open palms - this attack will deactivate aggressor for a while. Now brake his grip and run away. This self defense technique works perfectly.

When you're gripped from the front (pic. 2), push off attacker's chin with your both hands as hard as you can. Next, strike his big toe, or shin, or knee with your spike heel, and escape. If you're gripped from the rear, stick your spike heel into assailant's big toe, or leg, and make off. This classic women's self defense technique is not hard to perform under stress, and it really works!

When assailant tries to grasp you from a side (pic. 3), strike his throat with an elbow. Such blows are very efficient - they cause a severe pain. The subsequent groin attack can deactivate aggressor.

All images can be found on the above link. We are always striving to find "other" ways to defend ourselves when sometimes the basics are the easiest and quickest to hand. No harm in reminding ourselves of this now is there? :)

2. tellner

tellner Valued Member

It should be mentioned that the football kick to the groin and the rising knee to the groin are the two single most-expected techniques in self defense. Guys are waiting for this to happen. Also, the second technique is just plain stupid. Scratch that. It's fatally stupid. A kick to the groin as your knife defense? It's a Darwin Award in the making.

3. Melanie

Thanks for your support :D - I never said this was the only defence!! The purpose of putting this here is to remind us that they can still be done - just 'cos its obvious doesn't mean it won't work - if I'm biting his nose then follow up with a knee to the groin he may not notice until too late or maybe I'm to imaginative?

4. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Tellner, you beat me to it. Also the idea of grabbing and twisting the groin can be defeated by the ever popular tight pants technique. I really dislike articles like the one above because they seem to treat (or can be interpreted as treating) a strike to the groin as a self defense panacea. It just isn't. And the worst place to have a belief system violated is when your life depends on it.

Strikings (punches, palms, claws, stabs, etc) need to be thrown in bunches. And there are far better targets than the groin.

- Matt

5. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I think it should be illegal to pass of someting you saw in an action movie once as valid self defence.

6. Melanie

Maybe this was mistake to post - I thought I would inject some conversation - my bad :(

I genuinely felt that it was feasible to put in an old basic - it doesn't have to be the first thing you do - but I can't always be right. :) Perhaps you could make a few suggestions? :)

7. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

But Melanie's post does raise a valid point:

Someone was asking about what to teach women at a self-defense seminar. We all posted different techniques, but the general consensus, aside from awareness, was to design a program based on simplicity. That's exactly what this is, simple.

This isn't hardcore MA designed to destroy your opponent. And the reality, admit it or not, is that a lot of assailants do not want to be bothered with a vic who fights back. Most of the time it's just not worth it (yes, I know, you've got issues when the guy doesn't care, but that's a whole 'nother story!). Really, think about it. Most regular joes have no idea how to leg check, and even if they do block an attack against a groin, for example, that means their attention is diverted from YOU.

No, the pics were by no means perfect (really, a kick against a knife? no.). But they are reasonable tips to give to someone who needs to digest something quickly.

8. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

When I teach Women's SD classes, the primary targets we focus on with kicks are to the ankle/knee...and the peroneal nerve on the lateral side of the thigh mid way between the hip and the knee.... these will inevitably result in a severe sprain, possible dislocation or break, dropping the agressor long enough for you to get the hell out of there! :D

Kicking to the groin cannot be dismissed, but women have got to get away from thinking that "that" is the only and best target of their defense.

9. Melanie

Thats exactly what I was thinking KickChick.

As I said in my original post "We are always striving to find "other" ways to defend ourselves when sometimes the basics are the easiest and quickest to hand. No harm in reminding ourselves of this now is there? " :)

10. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

If you grabbed a mans confines in self defence and twisted them you would probably find yourself being beaten senseless before you know it and probably they'd remove your head in the process

11. Melanie

but you could also kick, bite, eye gouge and fish hook - why does everyone see things black and white - if I'm fighting for my life I aint gonna be dropping into stance and bowing! :)

12. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I do believe the "average" woman who knows absolutely nothing about self defense.... knows to defend by striking the groin. I can only imagine that most attackers hope that their next victim is such a female so that they can see that form of defense coming.

I believe many of the 'current' Women's SD classes that are out there nowadays are throwing these guys a loop with some of the self defense techniques they are teaching women. :D

13. Slindsay

The problem seems to be that these programs don't teach you much about fighting which, when it comes down to it, is what these techniques will be used for.

14. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

But how long does it take to make this stuff second nature, really? It takes a heck of a long time, and most people aren't going to go to more than one or two 2 hour seminars on self-defense. And what complicated set of techniques can you teach them in just 4 hours? Seriously?

15. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

What about pressure testing? Get the attacker all padded up and let the defender and attacker have at it?

About a year ago, I had three trained martial artist women on separate occassions come up to me and ask for help because a kick to the groin DIDN'T work against a man. They had either used it on the streets or in training and the person which was on the receiving end basically shrugged it off and kept coming at them.

I asked them to show me what they did. They all used the rising kick to groin. All I could really say was to suggest that they change their technique and kick harder.

The rising kick to the groin has basically two possible applications. The first one is to kick as hard as you can to send the testicles of the man deep through his body. This application can have the effect of ****ing off the man as he attempts to kill you even though you hurt him... but then a short while later the man will get real sick and without proper medical attention, will possibly or likely die from internal bleeding.

The second application is a whipping slapping which if timed right will cause an almost immediate sickening feeling to the man, but no lasting damage. You can guess that the second application is low percentage to get to work with a kick as control and distance is a factor -- the slightest miss judgment can mean the technique completely fails, so hopefully you will instead get a reaction out of the man to drop his hands to protect his groin so that you have other targets to strike.

Instead I suggested to them to use the ball of their foot and kick to the small intestine or top part of the groin (of course other targets are good but I sticking with the groin attack for this post). I then told them to kick hard here, to bend the person forward.

It is not a finishing technique but a technique to set up other techniques.

With cup on, we can do training, allowing the woman (student) to kick to the location with good force/contact. They know it will work because they use it in training against resistance.

16. Slindsay

Rebel: In the situations you described I'm guessing the more pertinent facto would be the mans instinctive reaction to defend the area, leaning forward, hopping backwards, twisting away, that sort of thing rather than anything that the women could do to improve their technique.

17. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

No, although what you mention is important, the reason we agreed that their kicks to groin didn't work was that the women did not kick hard enough. I'm not talking about missed shots but good solid hits that the women were under the "illusion" would drop the man, but they didn't do that in reality.

The women were holding back some, afraid to really hurt the man.

So I simply gave them a different technique that they could practice more safely using nearly full power without feeling they were going to kill anyone. They actually could then practice this technique and kick hard.

The kick to the small intestines, if it hits solid and penetrates will almost always bend the target forward either through body mechanics or because the target is trying to roll with the kick. Either way, it can set up knees and strikes to the side of the head, the back of the neck and spine, to the soft point between the shoulder blade and spine, and to the face.

On a related note: A rising kick, on the other hand, often causes the target to spread out the legs and stand more upright. That also can set up follow ups. The problem is that if you kick with a lot of force on a rising kick, there is a chance to rupture the testicles and that can lead to death. Much harder to practice this kick against resistance as even a cup does not protect well against the direction of the attack.

18. Mike O'Leary

Mike O'Leary Valued Member

One of my senior students came up with an interesting saying.....

We were talking about grabbing the groin.... and this is effective when you "yank" on the pants even.. pulls the guy off balance.. now if you happen to get a handfull all the better... even tight jeans.. grab a handfull of thigh.. watchem jump..

Jeff calls it... grab on and start the lawnmower......

mike

19. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I don't get that at all. In a sexual attack that could just been seen as encouragement. Realistically the strength of a mans grip and a womans grip are different ball parks (pun intended).

20. Mike O'Leary

Mike O'Leary Valued Member

Have someone grab you fast and hard.. like they mean it.. then we'll talk.

better yet.. have them grab you and squeeze... do you find it "encouraging"

Mike