That awkward moment where you know the group of chavs are going to barge past you..

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Jayla, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Jayla

Jayla Valued Member

You're minding your own business, walking down the street on your way to work/school/whatever.

A group of chavs are coming the other way, you can sense by their body language and "swagger" (is that what they call it?) they're not giving way..

Do you:

A. Carry on, get nudged so they can "start"
    B. turn sideways as you walk past to avoid them
    C. Step out into the road to give the "big dogs" full right of way?

What do you do? I ask because I was in this situation today, I opted for option C with no eye contact, I was in a particularly ghetto area (I have to pass through on route to work)

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I'd probably go with B.

But I'd follow the rule that's never let me down yet regarding eye contact: look past them, not down or square in their face. Make it clear that you're thinking about where you're going and they're not even registering in your consciousness apart from as something you're walking past.

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

1. I don't walk, I drive

2. If it's local I'd know them or they'd know me

3. depends where I was

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Definately not. You can see it coming, so to allow them what they want would be foolish. This is where your awareness should kick in. Cross the street straight away if you are in any doubt. Many people will not do this because they feel it has made them weak. Quite the reverse. You are the winner here. Your training has avoided the situation and you can carry on in the knowledge that they continue on with their stupid lives and lack of prospects, and anyway you could have kicked their butts all the way to next week if needed.

This is okay, but there is a risk of bumping into one of them. This is where you need to be aware and ready to strike first if needed, but, and it is a big but, you must look as if the situation is of no matter. "sorry mate, my fault" goes a long way. If you make any issue of the contact that will be seen as a threat by the chavs. Do not tough appear weak, as that will give him a chance to play the big guy in front of his mates.

This is the best option and your awareness should have kicked in before you got to close. If in any doubt, cross the road. Do not make an issue of it. Cross as though you have just spotted a shop on the other side of the road that has caught your eye, not because you have been made the feel vulnerable.

Good move. Do not feel bad, your training and instinct wins the day.

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Simon S said it perfectly. If you can see trouble coming, it's best to get out of the way. If you're driving in your car and see an out of control car coming right at you, are you going to hit them straight on, just try to side swipe them, or get as far away from it as you can? There's no weakness in using tactics to protect yourself.

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Jayla, have you had any training in this area, or was it just instinctive.

7. rivend

rivend Valued Member

3.C distance is your friend to try to evade them if they attack. A and B won't matter if their intent is to jump you anyway.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  8. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

Prob B or C

Although people usually avoid me, my wife maintains that I look scary but I am a pussycat.

Why cause unecessary bother, moving out of the way is not weakness, I look upon it as older and wiser

9. Val

Val New Member

The best type of fight is the one you can avoid.

10. Ajo

Ajo Jujitsu Fiend

id cross the road at the first sign of possible trouble. i train but i dont want to fight.

As m sensei once said, if you cross over, then they do the same in order to walk at you, THEN you know its game on and have to decide your way out.

11. Moi

I think the irony of being beaten to death by a bunch of 15 year old chavs would complete the circle of life and restore peace in the middle east. Bring it on!

12. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

Being a girl, my answer would be a little different.

I'd either go with option A or C. I'd barge past them as a sign to say "don't mess with me". Or avoid them altogether, and hope they don't even see me. Option B might result in a few sleazy remarks or some sort of annoying interaction.

13. Moi

Go girl!

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

WWCD?

Crush them, drive them before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.

15. Moi

Again? I'm getting old you know!

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

*Sigh* Chavs are something I didn't miss when I was in the States and certainly won't miss them when I go back. They're like a special UK novelty act. Second day back in the country and I saw them everywhere. :bang:

Mind you, it's probably because everyone in Arizona carries a gun. :woo:

17. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

I would (and very, very often have to, do) go with C but try not to make a big deal out of it. I try to downplay it, like I'm already walking that way or something, while looking over the shoulder of the guy at the side, or across the street where I'm going. I don't want them to get a vibe that I'm afraid of them in case they're feeling bold, but also don't want to come across that I'm crossing the street out of some kind of disgust, lest they feel disrespected and take issue with me for it. There are times and places where exceptions are necessary, but I feel in a situation like that, especially with a group, the proverb about nails sticking up is worth bearing in mind.

18. Martial novice

Martial novice Valued Member

Well although I'm a bit diappointed you didn't take the opportunity to put the 'are head kicks practical' thread to rest, I'd agree you did the right thing.

As Simon says (isn't there a game called that??) it's situational awareness. Choosing between options B and C probably comes down to your best guess at whether they're actually trouble. e.g. small number of lippy kids, just walk past, larger number of troubleseekers, cross the road.

Agree with others above - cross as if that's the route you'd take anyway, do it far enough away and they shouldn't even care. Act as dominant dogs do and actively think about something else (destination, your favourite technique for dealing with an incoming punch, whatever). You will ignore them better by thinking of something than you will by thinking 'I must ignore those people over there' (because over half of that sentence you're thinking is: 'those people over there').

Sure, but what would Chuck do? Roundhouse, Roundhouse, Roundhouse!!!!!!

......Then ask questions :D

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  19. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

C, C and lots of C

the other options are not worth the trouble, and are also plain idiotic if there are multiple guys. particularly considering the likelihood of at least one and possibly all packing knives or improvised weapons.

20. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Option A is still risky, as then you risk bruising their male egos and making them want to "teach you a lesson."