[Thailand] Basic Every day Thai

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by NaughtyKnight, Apr 12, 2007.

1. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

Cow Pat guy (thats the way to pronounce it) is chicken egg flied rice and is a great dish that I first had in Thailand and always have when I'm over there. I even order it over here in the UK in Thai restuarants even if its not on the menu.

2. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Thai is actually pretty easy to pick up once you are there and surrounded by it. It also helps to have a few thai women around that speak fluent english. Thats how you learn basic phrases which you can build upon.

All spelt phonetically:

Mai pen dry: It doesnt matter, forget about it, dont mention it. Its a very important phrase to know if you are about to get into a fight :p.

Phom ra kun mak mak: I love you so much. Men say Phom, women say something else that I cant even think how to spell phonetically.

Joop da mai: Would you like to kiss me.

Mow: Drunk

Mow mak mak: Very Drunk

Mai Mow: Not drunk

kob pun khrap: thank you

kob pun mak khrap: thank you very much

ting tong: Crazy

baa: Mental

ning noi: Small

Pompoi: chubby

Sabadee mai: How are you?

Sabadee Khrap: Im good thanks

Nam: Water

Namsong: Orange Juice

Jep: Hurt, it hurts

Mai Ow: I Dont want it. VERY important for all the annoying tuk tuk drivers, suit merchants and flower girls. You can also use it to turn down the bed room invites, but you probably wont want to ;).

Adding Mai to the end of a scentence usually makes it a question. Mow mai means "are you drunk" etc.

Adding mak mak to the end of words makes them more powerful. Ting Tong mak mak means "very crazy" for example. Throwing darts with your eyes closed will earn you "ting tong", trying to drive your motor bike with your eyes closed will earn you a "ting tong mak mak" and trying to drive your motor bike, so drunk you cant move will earn you a "baa mak mak".

3. NaughtyKnight

So true man.

Jin yep yep: Calm down.

The attitude of the Thais is VERY chilled. They are laughing endlessly, even at some of the most serious stuff. If you walk into a bar with a busted up leg from a motor bike crash, they will laugh, point and ask how many beers you had before trying to drive when you got that. After a month or two, you soak up the attitude and stop caring so much about things.

4. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

jai (heart) yen yen(cool) =cool heart=calmdown etc :)

5. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

NaughtyKnight when you drive your bike under the influence trying trying by the stars to get you home it works! he he :)

6. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

oops that should read"driving by the stars" :)

7. NaughtyKnight

Yeh, thats the right one. Jai yen yen really sorts you out if you almost cause an accident with your crazy defensive farang driving :p.

8. NaughtyKnight

There are different levels of politness in Thai for the same word.

Mung= Worst way of saying you. Extremly rude. The girls in the bar were talking about someone being a Butterfly 'someone that goes with a different girl every night". When I asked who they were talking about, a girl said "you are" using Mung. Another girl then went up and slapper her lol.

Khun= The most polite way to say you. You can use it to attract a bar girls attention when you want a drink. You can also say Ca tong krhap which means excuse me, im sorry etc.

And while the words are flowing out of me.

Mai ben rai= Your welcome, dont mention it, doesnt matter.

9. vingaard

vingaard New Member

10. Al_Bundy

Al_Bundy Valued Member

good site

11. vingaard

vingaard New Member

The best there is for learning Thai.