Thai vs Boran? Key differences?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by furinkazan, Mar 18, 2015.

1. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

I'm looking at heading to Thailand to train next summer, probably at Tiger Muay Thai's training camp (its a post grad holiday for myself)

They offer Muay Thai, Boxing, Krabi Krabong, Brazilian Jiujitsu and Muay Boran.

I don't know a great deal about Boran, since my experience of it is Ong Bak (taken with many pinches of salt) and from descriptions given to me (its like Muay Thai, but has a more self defense attitude than a sport, also got headbutts)

any key differences I should know about? I'd be out there about 2 months and want to know as much as possible

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Sod the Boran! Go straight to Krabi!!

3. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

been looking at the krabi, same instructor for the boran. It looks like it might fit, Currently I am training once a week with a group in Blackpool called Primal. They do a mix of Hung Ga, Escrima, TKD and Keysi. The escrima stuff looks somewhat similar to this, so I think thats on there.

Plus since my roots were booj, while I do love my hand to hand, weapons are always a fond part of arts

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AmdeJtoMR4"]Thailand's Ancient Weapon Fighting Art: Krabi-Krabong - YouTube[/ame]

4. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

5. jaggernautico

jaggernautico Valued Member

Key difference is understanding what is physical education and what is the real deal--meaning finding those teachers who know the older ancient systems which are more combative. It seems everything got jumbled badly into one big mess.