Thai techniques

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by munkiejunkie, Sep 9, 2005.

1. munkiejunkie

munkiejunkie sanity's requiem

Hello there, I want to do muay thai but am not allowed :cry: . However, I want to get all the info I can on how to execute the techniques. Could you please help me with how to do the basic clinch, kicks, knees and elbows (I know the punches). Also, if you know a site with instructional vids (for free) could you please post it?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  2. TomB

TomB Train Hard, Fight Easy

3. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Why aren't you allowed to do Muay Thai?

I found the best approach to crazy, overprotective moms is to lie about how a system works.

In the case of Muay Thai, call it kickboxing, or "traditional thai kung fu for self-defense purposes on t3h 5tr33t.

4. munkiejunkie

Nah- my mum knows how it works, and doesn't like it. Ive also got a medical condition where I bruise extremely easily. My parents think one art is enough (the stupid whackos they are). I wanna do muay thai is because Ive got jujitsu as self defence, where we focus to much on not gettiong in a fight. What if that is impossible? jujitsu is to self defence centred

5. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

in your ju jitsu is it like BJJ, as in do you roll all the time?
    if not, ditch it for muay thai.

6. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

Man your shins arn't gonna like you if u bruise easily :p

Have you though about goin the your local MT gym and just watching how they kick/knee/elbow etc? That might help

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Your mom might not be as 'stupid' and 'whacko' as you think. :eek:

If you've got a medical condition that causes you to bruise easily there is probably a very good reason why she's concerned about you taking Muay Thai.

I'm sure you didn't come on the forum to hear a lecture but in good faith it'd help to give you some pointers if we knew what exactly is your medical condition was.

(I'll understand if you don't feel comfortable posting that in the forum)

Because of the heavy and repeated contact in Muay Thai training and conditioning you could put yourself in a dangerous situation because of your medical condition.

People with conditions such as Thrombocytopenia, Immune thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) and Leukemia have important considerations to make when deciding if and when they should take up an MA like Muay Thai. Being prone to bruising would be a real concern with any Muay Thai trainer willing to take you on... it's not the bruising or the pain that you have to deal with per se that is the problem - it's the complications that can result from it... and depending on what you have - it can range from chronic pain to serious complications that can be debilitating.

Comparing MT with JJ - there is huge amount of stiking in MT as compared to JJ (as I'm sure you're aware) - so you shins and your knuckles do take a substantial beating the first several months of training. The ankles toes and the top of your foot are all trouble spots for most beginners. I takes time to get your technique to a point where you're not injuring yourself with the power you can generate with it.

There is a requisite amount of bruising that happens to the forearms, thighs and knees when you train Muay Thai... they can range from light bruises to 'Oh my friggin' God!' type bruises.... and they do take time to heal properly even on people with no pre existing conditions.

Another thing to understand is that there is not much you're going to learn from a book or a video if you don't have someone there to correct your form and keep an eye on the development of your technique. Like any MA - books and vids will help you to understand it on the intellectual level - but on a practical level it will be hard to really do much if any true learning of technique.

Anyhow bro, I'm all for people taking up Muay Thai - I would just hate to see you end up with some crazy complication due to a pre existing medical condition that doesn't jive with the conditining and training techniques of Muay Thai. You have a lot to really consider in regards to your medical condition before you jump into Muay Thai - be cool - there is no time deadline and you wouldn't want to do something now that'll negatively affect your for the rest of your life or shortern your life, :Angel:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2005
  8. munkiejunkie

Thanks for the concern slipthejab. I don't know what it is, I just bruise extremely easily. I had a bloodtest for it, and it came up clear, but I'm having another one on the 15th. I wasn't calling them whacko over the muay thai- it was over the no moe than one art. Nightstrike, we roll for fifteen minutes every lesson, and if that is not enough for you, shut up and *ahem* off- I like jujitsu, Its just it focuses to much in not getting into a fight, and not enough on what to do when you get into one

9. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

Have you had this issue with bruising all your life or has it only come up recently? judging from your last post it sounds pretty recent.

I guess time will tell, hopefully you'll be right to give MT a shot, but it's not something that's worth risking your health over

10. munkiejunkie

I dunno. I think it is best that I don't worry about it anymore. If I am allowed to do muay thai- then I will do it. If not, I won't. that is all I have to say, so, in a way, that is thread closed. Goodbye!

11. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

munkiejunkie,

Don't sweat it bro... maybe your mom's is just hoping you will focus on one MA at a time. You've still got plenty of time to hook up the MT at some point. Focusing on one MA at at time has it's advantages.

I hope your tests come back cool. Hang in there and post some time and let us know how things are workin' out.

12. sportmuaythai

sportmuaythai Valued Member

Despite my love for muaythai, I think Slipthejab's post #7 has much to be heeded. Pls be patient.

13. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

munkiejunkie: If you'r bruising easy but blood tests aren't showing anything it could be diet related though to be honest I would have thought the docs would have pointed that out to you. I think typically it's caused by a lack of Zinc in the diet.