TFA nit picking

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Late for dinner, Dec 30, 2015.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I only found out the other day that the first Star Wars film isn't in the Library of Congress National Film Registry because Lucas refuses to give them the original cut. The guy is a loon.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I've got VHS original trilogy and DVD new editions. Re-watching the new editions with my daughter I'd forgotten how much Lucas cacked all over those films.
    He got rid of the yub nub song at the end of ROTJ!

3. David Harrison

The music is a particular sore point for me :(

4. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

And I only found out on Reddit that Jar Jar was a Sith lord the whole time. :eek:

5. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Oh. Glad to have found this thread. I was under the impression most people loved it giving 10/10 which I was baffled by.

Movie was seriously just a Disney reboot of A new Hope with some character changes and additions. I couldn't take Kylo seriously. Really built him up with the very first scene he was in. Then just made him look like a big baby and incredibly stupid.

6. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Any Supreme leader snoke theories?

I've read from He's Darth Vader, to Plageius to Bane and Palpatines son.

Apparently they are no longer Sith because Snoke likes balance between the light and the dark.

7. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Just gonna put it out there but Star Wars (the entire franchise) is essentially pulp fiction. It's Mills and Boon for sci fi fans and children. I loved it as an 80s kid... Because I was the target audience. It's puddle deep entertainment that is best viewed with the rose tinted glasses of childhood nostalgia firmly afixed and only warrents deeper analysis as a cultural text in order to gleen deeper insights into the society that shat it out and gobbled it up :hat::woo:

8. David Harrison

Weirdly incestuous for kiddies' Mills and Boon :eek:

I watched it so much as a little one, not only did I wear out the Betamax tape I recorded it off the telly with (pretending the white lines were extra lasers), but when I bumped into my babysitter when I was 17, who I hadn't seen for over a decade, all she said to me was "if I have to watch Star Wars one more time, I'll scream". :D

From an academic point of view, trying to recreate the vibe of films 30-40 years old is interesting to me. Which is probably why I was so interested in the lighting of the new one (or maybe because I had to occupy myself somehow because I'd already seen all the major plot events before ;) ).

I have to admit though, I did fall out of love with Star Wars a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away?), which was down to a mixture of over-exposure and Lucas urinating on everything that was good about the originals. The new one does recapture some of the original charm, which is nice to watch. Nothing wrong with a bit of pulp-fiction PEW! PEW! PEW! :)

9. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

What are you talking about please? Mills and Bloom?

Haven't got a clue what this is.

Thanks. LFD

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  10. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Mill and boon publish dross romance novels for idiots and housewives... Yesteryear versions of fifty shades.

11. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

My guess is he's three feet tall in reality, because this film likes its villains disappointing.

12. David Harrison

Totally. He's obviously an evil Yoda.

And I reckon Poe is a clone, which is how he suddenly appeared again after apparently dying.

13. philosoraptor

I heard the explanation was just that they initially thought they weren't going to keep Isaac around… Also, I really want someone to kill Kylo. Soon. Nowish.

14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Just watched it. It was alright. Can we stop using spoiler tags now we are on page 4 after all.

As someone who is not old (as old as you lot anyway) I didn't watch the original trilogy until I was like 15 and I had already seen TPH (which I thought was good, so slay me all you like). Big crashes and exciting chases just don't do it for me. Gimme some detail.

Things I liked about the new film;

Like the main character Rey, she's cool, believable. Finn and Pilot bromance was cool, they both survived and thought the other had died. I'd be chuffed to know someone was alive too!
    Liked BB8. He was cute.
    The base was called Starkiller! I liked that because it was Galen Mareks codename in the games.
    The shot where you see the view from one of the X-Wings was intense, especially in IMAX.
    Kylo Ren stopping that laser fire at the start was really cool.
    The Stormtroopers actually hit people!

Stuff I didn't like:

Old folk looking out of place where nobody is over 35 is just weird. Like how are you still alive?!
    Kylo Ren. His nose in IMAX is threatening. I want to slap him.
    Light saber duels were lame. I could have done better 3 beers and a paraplegic for a stuntman.
    Vague plot was a bit frustrating. Lack of details.
    Lukes part of bitching out because of one emo. No explanation. Just letting mass amounts of people getting killed is fine Luke, go on holiday.
    Luke at the end of the film. Knew she was coming, why so dramatic? What a tool.
    The First Order was a bit too "Nazi-ish". Space Nazis. Indiana Jones vs Space Nazis.
    Jedi are supposed to be trained from an extremely young age and she can control Stormtroopers without any knowledge of how? Cool story bro.
    Rehashing the original trilogy. Another note is Han was encased in carbonite and now Finn is in a similar situation.
    They were moving all over the Starkiller base yet every single time it looked like the same corridor.

That's all I've got until the DVD'S comes out :D

15. David Harrison

That's exactly what Star Wars is! :)

No they're not. The force makes them all cool and powerful, and training just focuses that a bit. Like Philosoraptor, I'm glad there weren't any Jedi kindergartens like in the prequels.

But yeah, I agree with your review: "it was alright" about sums it up.

16. philosoraptor

Honestly the only reason they were in that movie was so that DARK GOTH LORD Anakin could go emo and kill them.

Vader hunting down the Jedi one by one in their hiding places sounds so much more awesome and intimidating than just murdering a bunch of seven year olds.

Egads.

17. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I guess but if Germans are Space Nazis, what is their goal? Not to exterminate anyone except Jedi apparently.

Well they are supposed to be trained from a young age. Although tbf I remember Anakin predicting what Yoda had on screen as an initial test and he got them right, without previous experience.

I wonder how many mediclorians Rey and Finn have? :p

18. David Harrison

Their soldiers are even called storm troopers! And look at all the shiny leather, it just screams Nazi.

Haha! Good nerd bait :)

19. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

One theory is that Ren was a Jedi in training who escaped Kylo Ren, had her memory wiped but then had her repressed memories unleashed during the whole Luke's light saber/mind war with Kylo Ren.

If that plays out it's another mark against TFA. It means it essentially was a glorified trailer to set up other movies.

20. philosoraptor

I mean, it's absolutely designed to launch a franchise. The fact that this has done well means there's like, six other star wars films coming out, a couple tv shows, more action figures, video games, etc., etc., etc.

I disliked how small the universe felt in the movie, speaking of nit picks. Han Solo is cruising around, near where the Millennium Falcon was buried, near where Leia is being a general, right around where Poe was looking for a map. J.J. Abrams really relies on his audience being willing to say "Hey, it's just a movie!"