Texas Governor mandates HPV vaccine

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Apotheosis, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Source

"
    Compulsion is as essential to government as water is to snow. Most of what governments do requires forcing people to do things they might choose not to--pay taxes, stop at red lights, respect the property of others, avoid creating public nuisances, and so on. But the measure of a free society is its willingness to use compulsion only when it is indispensable. And by that measure, the state of Texas is falling short.

Recently, Gov. Rick Perry issued an executive order that surprised both friends and foes--stipulating that before being admitted to 6th grade, every girl must be vaccinated against the human papillomavirus or HPV, a common sexually transmitted disease that causes genital warts and cervical cancer. In a reversal of their usual view of the conservative Republican Perry, Planned Parenthood of North Texas applauds the measure, while Concerned Women for America opposes it. "

Is anyone else deeply disturbed by the government mandating a vaccine for something that can only be transmitted via sexual contact?

This is not something that is contagious by walking through the hallways...Seems like something that should be elft to the individual and to the individuals parents...

Your thoughts?

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

What are the Concerned Women getting all...um...concerned about? Do they think genital warts are God's way of making women celibate or something?

To be honest, I didn't realise papilomavirus was common enough to warrant this kind of treatment, but hey, if it protects people's health then why not?

3. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Everyone talks about HPV and how it increases vulnerability to cervical cancer in women.

I wonder why the media and politicians never focus on the way HPV also increases vulnerability to penile cancer in men, and why no one has made a similar vaccination for boys.

4. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

No idea why people are protesting this based on the "sexual aspect"...

It is common enough to get a vaccine(if you are a sexually active woman) but it is not prevalent enough to force young girls to get it...

You cannot get it if you do not have sex, since sex is not something that occurs in schools I don't see how this is any of their business?

Not only that, but this effects primarily the woman and not others. It's not like she will be walking around infecting everyone she touches....so the school has no basis to say this is a health concern. How many 11 year olds are having sex with each other?

Seems like a problem for the parents and the individual girls/women to deal with, not the government.

Good question, probably because the risk of cervical cancer is higher than that of penile cancer(I think).

But I also am fairly sure that the vaccine for women can also be used as a vaccine for men..

5. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

the strain of HPV thats most linked to cervical cancer does not often have "external symptoms" like some other strains.

it's infected cells left for time that causes cervical cancer. regular screenings (paps and the like) along with regular visits and needed treatment GREATLY reduce the chances of cancer due to HPV....

the issue is a shocking number of women skip regular exams or go without health care.. only discovering these issues once they are either precancerous or worse. you can easily SEE if you have a growth on your penis.. and are AWARE you need medical treatment. hell, if your single not getting that treated might result in not gettting laid.

the damn relious right in their stupidity seem to think that because this is a sexually transmitted disease women should remain chaste and unprotected..... only the slutty ones will get God's punishment

i have to wonder.. if the vaccine were for men... would it be an issue?

shame on them...

6. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

5 of 7 women test postive for HPV. Let me repeat- five out of seven women. Which indicated that most likely, approximately five of seven males test postive as well. Over four thousand women die every year. Over eleven thousand women are diagnosed.

And you wonder why they made a vacination? Nor should a vacination for men be far behind as they are already doing trails for men.