Tew Ryu Ninjutsu Question

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Peaceful Tiger, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Peaceful Tiger

Peaceful Tiger Happy Member

I know I haven't posted in months but something has come up.

I understand that Soke takes a dim view on any Bujinkan member training with Genbukan, Jinenkan and the Stephen Hayes lot.

I know someone who trains in the Bujinkan but also does a Tew Ryu 'Ninjitsu' Home-Study course and also happens to be a moderator on their forum.

Tew Ryu Ninjitsu

As you can see from the site, there's very little in the art itself which looks like authentic ninjutsu and my personal view is that it's a free-form karate group who have bounced off the back of the 80's ninja boom and are more concerned with showing off their flashy moves and doing the splits.

If this martial art wasn't calling itself 'ninjitsu' then I wouldn't be bothered.

Given that Soke dismissed Bryce Dallas (Konigun Ninjutsu) with a hilarious put-down when he and his little minions turned up at the doors of the Hombu, what would the Japanese reaction be to these guys?

Should this person be told that to study Tew Ryu Ninjustu whilst studying Bujinkan is unacceptable and that they should choose one or the other, or does it not really matter? Also what further action should be taken if they do not heed this direction?

-Iain.

2. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

Don't worry about it. If he, she, it is doing such things they are probably beginners. Nothing to worry about it , it is just experimentation.
    If not, still don't worry about it. Basically don't worry about it.

Ok now that is said.
    Time to lock it. :)

3. Peaceful Tiger

It's not a case of "don't worry about it", if it's against the Bujinkan rules then it needs to be addressed

4. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

I'm saying if your child breaks the rules do you throw them out of your house. Not saying he, she, or it is a child but if they are a beginner then don't worry about it.

5. Dale Seago

Dale Seago Matthew 7:6

I don't see that it is, from my reading of them.

As for how the Japanese would view such an individual, it depends on the shihan. I can think of one or two who might just show him, in training and without ever mentioning Tew ryu, how ridiculous the latter is. I can think of more who would essentially ignore him and perhaps let him think he was "getting" what was being shown in their classes, figuring that anyone who couldn't see for himself what taurine excrement the Tew ryu stuff is is a hopeless case and not worth any expenditure of time and energy to actually try to teach him anything.

A couple more might just pound the snot out of him in class as a subtle way of suggesting that he not waste his time, or theirs, in their classes.

6. Peaceful Tiger

The person in question is a 7th Kyu (Bujinkan) and by this stage of the game, I'd have expected them to know better :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  7. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

Yup, only a beginner.

8. Neil-o-Mac

Neil-o-Mac The Rev

There was a hilarious put-down involved? Could you expand on that? Sounds like it could be quality. :D

9. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Maybe the person does not really know the difference between Bujinkan/Takamatsu-den and Tew Ryu. I was at one point when I first started to train looking into books of Hayes and Kim. When asked which books to read out of both writers I was told to stay away. You learn from what you know. Maybe this person is not really seeing what is real and what is fake.

But then, this person could be buying into the ideal of the flipping out part of the idea of "ninja". If it is harmless then why bother. Maybe someone moderating a Tew Ryu web forum could provide them with real accurate information regarding what ninjas are not supposed to be. So it could be one or the other. Politely ask why this person is doing this and tell them if they know where real training is between them. It may be a culture shock, but it may also help.

10. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

Yeah, i never heard about it and i'm over here!

11. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

it was the one where they said they did ninjutsu and Hatsumi said all ninjutsu came through him.

12. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

It was when they visited Japan last year and after giving a bottle of Tennessee whiskey they said they were Konigun. At which point they were told that all ninpo comes through him. They left shortly after.

Soke kept the drink. :D

13. Peaceful Tiger

yep that was the one, I'd have loved to see the look on their faces....but anyway, I doubt they'll go back.

14. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

Is the gentleman doing the Tew Ryu influencing your training? I'd just let him go about his business. There are many people other than that in the Bujinkan breaking bigger rules than cross training.

As Seago Sensei says if he thinks what he is getting is valued for whatever value that is let it be. It's not your issue to be concerned over.
    Mind you for that matter, I don't know if I'd say it was completely un valuable. If one is looking for an adventure based art and lots of cardio and physical challneges Tew Ryu would be great. They move well and with fluidity. Not with the taijutsu I would associate with Ninpo IMO, but before we slam other arts, we need to look at what merits there are.

I'd state that his "lineage" is Dux,. OK well that can be argued against him, but they have some decent skills in respect. I will state that I have never trained with any of them but do possess a 10 minute DVD that is impressive.

Has anyone here actually trained with them?

15. elftengu

elftengu Banned Banned

No, I find it all a bit hard to Tew. :D

16. Mikey Triangles

Mikey Triangles Neo-Ninja

Tew is a Frank Dux student, lol

oh, and my hat off to the TS for being a ninja and a tattle-tale

17. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

TS? :confused:

And never forget.....

Attached Files:

18. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

Thread Starter? Maybe :confused:

19. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Ahhhh! You might just be right! :cool:

20. SyDnEyNiNjA

SyDnEyNiNjA Valued Member

That looked very Robert Busseyesk, from his old video series, to me.