Terry Valler MMA/JKD

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by BÅÑdit, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Could you video it so we get the sense of what you mean - the last exchange did not end well because I didn't really get where you were coming from (also I just didn't understand 70% of it)...I am sure Terry won't mind another video

2. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

Hes got impressive knowledge in grappling trappin and groundfight.surely in boxing too but I ve seen this after a minute.also He love it.
    I am more on agressivity and take advantage for the first move.
    He didnt disagreed anything I said.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  3. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

no point.You guys ll say what you want anyway whatever I post..I am not train fo you I train for myself.I didnt mind to share all I found by the years but as was all crap no matter anymore.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Sheever, polite note that bad language will get you a smack on the wrist here on MAP.

Just helping.

5. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

I dont know what do you taking about.thanks anyway.

6. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

Hannibal.all prooved itself the best way if YOU TRY AND TEST IT.
    nobody does applications on the same way.
    I like to use less appication and train to do on time.
    I think its more close to real fight response.I dont train for MMA and other competitions.

7. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Eh, judging from what I've seen, he might very well teach what he thinks is muay thai, but a proper muay thai teacher he is not.

8. Hannibal

Edit because the original sounded like I was being poopy and I really wasn't - I actually meant to say it would be interesting to SEE it rather than try and piece it together from a few sentence fragments.

9. Hannibal

MMA comps? Me neither - but $5 against a cheese pizza says my training is more geared to reality than yours and I actually use mine daily

10. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

I have no doubt on this one.I never questioned you or anything you do.
    You are Who question me or what I do.
    spend time to test and You ll see if its work.thats what I do too.

11. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

it doesnt matter.
    when the concept of Muay thai will change and will focus on slip away and moving out of the attack then it will be a problem to apply a technic against a roundkick.
    the proplem I discovered on my muay thai training long ago (and I just stop train anymore and went for boxing and JKD)and Terry agreed too is the MTer standing against the attack.far less footwork required in MT.they take whatever comes and just reply.
    I am not saying it works 99 times out of hundred but attack allways better against any movement than defense.I dont train for defense altough I do but even that with elbow and hit in the same time.
    I train to parry and hit in one beat time or just hit with avoid what comes over also just go inside with elbow against every single forward movements of the opponent smash the chest or the face and carry on with attack by combination..but that elbow covers in the same time...you can thorw away your roundkick.thats all I train and didnt find anything works better.everybody can say whatever they want but nothing better I ve seen. just block the opponent in the movement what comes up first.
    I have zero knowledge in grappling and groundfight thats why I ll go and learn from Terry.in my concept not really required but I ld like to learn and modify to my concept or at least know how to counter.

12. Hannibal

Actually I phrased that badly - what I meant was that I do not compete, but that the MMA style training yields the best results both in AND out of the ring

13. Master Betty

Which shows a zero lack of knowledge, both for yourself and terry. sounds to me like yet another JKDer who's trying to point out supposed gaping holes in the muay thai striking. Yawn. What gaps exist are well known in thai circles more than in JKD "oooh look i went to a master sken seminar and was given a shiny certificate saying i can teach muay thai" circles.

14. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

what did you experienced out of the ring what is from the MMA?

15. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

it make sense what I am saying or not?or you do something extra special MT concept?then I am wrong but here is this clip I linked randomly it clearly shows they staying in one position and take what comes and replay.
    Terry just said the same to avoid the roundkick to move inside.He said other options too for sure but He ld rip your head off and you ld found yourself on the floor very quickly I am sure with Hes lack of zero knowledge...

is not a problem if you have oppinion but dont start to talk with this attitude mate.you totally disrespectful.and I am serious now.You just burn yourself front of everybody.

I just let you know every single attack is an opening for counter.no matter what style we talking about.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPBR3sM-cU4"]‪Most Brutal Muay Thai Fight Ever Thailand Round 4‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

16. Master Betty

What I see is a mediocre fight with two guys who're most definitely NOT jumping around like bloody bruce lee or muhammed ali when they're competing in a sport which allows leg kicks. Not only that but a sport which is famed for the power of it's kicks and has proved continuously to the world the effectiveness of leg kicks. Indeed, one could argue that Muay Thai is largely responsible for the modern opinion on leg kicks.

Seriously mate, there's footwork in that video. Just because you don't have a clue what it looks like or it doesn't look like what you expect footwork to look like, does not change the fact that there IS footwork there. The best fighters in K1 tend to fight a lot like that as well and they make a lot of money from it - there isn't a single JKD guy competing at a truly high level in muay thai, MMA, K1 or any other open sport. Too much theory crafting and not enough understanding. I've spoken with enough JKD guys from different areas of the world to get this feeling that a lot of them like to think they can pick out massive holes in a fighting systems strategy without actually having any basic knowledge of the subject matter they're critiquing. I don't really know what I'm doing on the ground therefore I tend to keep my opinions to myself in the knowledge that most of the guys on here who do comment on it know much better than I do. What does the average JKD guy know about footwork? Christ, we're talking about a system/style/fanclub (even they don't know which it is) that strongly advocates standing strong side on for the most moronic reason ever and utilizes a typically side on stance. I do know striking and I can comment on that....

My opinion?

The average JKD guy hasn't bothered his backside to actually try and learn any art because all he ever thinks about is how it's going to fit into his style bla bla bla and hence usually doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. The same goes for a lot of these wing chun places that like to think of themselves as MMA places.

17. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

the stronger forward because first shot the most important in the real fight .requires all strongest and fastest move to switch down the opponent ASAP (lead jab hit bigger for first and as the weaker hand is back it have more distance to speed up and equal the power on both hand).is not for sport fight not for rounds and not for sparring.
    also most of the people left hand forwarded its more uncomfrtable for the opponent also reduce the bridge between the fighters and to moving into the outside line create uncomfortable position for the opponent rear hand (which is they strongest) to deliver anything.

all fine mate.no worry.I am not arguing and doesnt matter to me what You or the Pro high skilled MT guys do.Honestly.the footwork is awesome so next time I ll pm Hannibal if He ask me about something.

18. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

Thats a baseless statement!! I have never trained with you and all comments are made from behind a desk rather than workout in the gym..

I have attained my thai instructorship by working with my thai coach for a long time. He moved on and i carry on with instructors who have trained in thai for 20 plus years and fought all over the world and including countless times in thailand. This is straight thai and i understand the idea, concepts and philosophy. I understand and can do the art as a stand along art..

But i do not teach it as a stand along art, I teach it the the jkd matrix. I do not teach it in its structure and don't claim too. BUT i do know and understand it. Most good jkd people do. FACT.

Master betty.. qoute... Which shows a zero lack of knowledge, both for yourself and terry. sounds to me like yet another JKDer who's trying to point out supposed gaping holes in the muay thai striking. Yawn. What gaps exist are well known in thai circles more than in JKD "oooh look i went to a master sken seminar and was given a shiny certificate saying i can teach muay thai" circles[/B]

First of all. I don't believe i wrote anything. I happen to believe that muay thai postives out weight the negatives by far. It happens to be one of my fav arts, But i have used and seen savate/ kickboxing people move and evade the roundkick, and the shoot can counter the round kick. I don't use the jkd to show weakness in thai boxing, that is counter productive to my training. I used the thai to help me improve my own jkd...

19. Hannibal

I am in the same position with regards Muay Thai and my own JKD - it is a significant part of my arsenal, but in and of itself not something that I devote my attention too - in fact I use the clinch more than anything else from it, with the possible exception of the thigh shot.

My question to sheever originally stemmed from another thread about a stance being "side on" - this was a huge misunderstanding as i now know he meant the JKD "Bai Jong" stance as opposed to the "Kevin Brewerton" side on stance

I am pretty satisfied I know what he meant now, although video would be nice for clarity

20. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

it suppose to be Fensing stance.it gives better speed for fast forward movement.